PDA

View Full Version : Flight Connection Advice

MTP
07-06-2003, 03:10
I was just wondering if you could give your collectively very informed opinion of a flight routing I have found for October. Basically it would mean flying through Washington Dulles Airport. The flight would arrive in at Washinton at 16.10 and then the flight to Tampa leaves at 17.15.

I am just a bit concerned that we would not be leaving enough time to clear customs and immigration and make the connection. This is also the last flight to Tampa with United that day, so I am particularly concerned as to what might happen if we didn't make the connection (overnighted, put on the later Orlando flight or would they put us on a diferrent airline?).

I guess what is making me particularly concerned is that last year when we were flying via Newark on route to Boston we didn't make our connection due to immigrations. That is not quite so concerning as there were onward flights every hour, so we were just re-scheduled. But with two young children I wouldn't like the thought of an avoidable hassle factor (especially as we would have to leave our home at 3.00 am in the morning to get to the departure airport).

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Euan

fiona
07-06-2003, 03:19
We have flown twice with connections, once with Delta, once with TWA. On both occasions we missed our connection by a mile:(. We now look at flying via Miami and driving up for a cheaper option. No doubt when it is hundreds less again we shall have to go with the flow, but I hate it!

bellaepovera
07-06-2003, 03:28
Do not take that route as 1 hour is not enough time to clear customs and then get to your other flight in time that is for sure!! At least give your self 2 hours for connecting to another flight as Washington is a very big airport and you will never make it. Of course if they give you the ok and you miss your flight then they are responsible for either getting you on another flight or paying for hotel rooms and eating!!

blott
07-06-2003, 03:31
We usually look for at least a two hour interchange time to be comfortable, slightly more if possible.

Although our experience with US Airways last time when we had a delayed flight was that, because there were 120 passengers for the same connecting flight, they held the second flight for us. However, as you say it's the last plane of the day, then that's taking a bit of a chance, particularly if you have small kids with you.

I don't know about Washington (perhaps someone else will?) but there's also sometimes quite a distance between the international flight terminal and the domestic one which you may also need to factor into the equation, together with getting your bags rechecked in after clearing US Customs.

MTP
07-06-2003, 12:35
Interestingly the United flight number is the same for the transatlantic and the US domestic flight. I then thought that it is just a short stop, and you may not disembark from the plane, but the two planes are different!

I have e-mailed United customer relations to get their opinion of it.

Just as a quick aside, I am right in thinking that the drive up US27 from Tampa isn't too bad (we haven't done it before, normally flying into Orlando International), we normally stay in Bridgewater Crossing.

When I get a reply from United I will let you know.

Best wishes,

Euan

caroline
07-06-2003, 13:05
Euan

We always fly with United (via Washington on the way out and Chicago on the way back)the distance from the arrivals to the departures for the next flight isn't too bad. Sometimes we wait for an hour for the connection but invariably it's only 20 minutes. I would think that 1 hour would be cutting it tight.

We are actually doing a similar journey in October, we get UA923 to Washington then UA1531 to Orlando, the first flight arrives in Washington at 11.30 and the second departs at 13.00 which should be perfect, HOWEVER it's not the last flight of the day so we have a stop gap if anything goes wrong.

IF you don't have any joy with a reply from United, let me know as my sister in law works in customer relations for them and I'll ask her for an opinion (she's in Portugal at the moment so I can't contact her for another week or so)

debbie
07-06-2003, 15:01
We have just flown with Delta and had 1 1/2 hours to make a connection in Atlanta. Unfortunately it was the pilots last flight and the aeroplane was met by the airports fire engines which provided an archway of water for the aeroplane to go through. Impressive as this was, we missed our connection to Tampa. It wasn't until we (5 adults and 5 tired children) highlighted who was at fault that they offered us a hotel room for the night. We then flew the next morning.

Carla
07-06-2003, 16:18
quote:Originally posted by MTP

Just as a quick aside, I am right in thinking that the drive up US27 from Tampa isn't too bad (we haven't done it before, normally flying into Orlando International), we normally stay in Bridgewater Crossing.
Euan

Euan you drive from Tampa to the Orlando area on Interstate 4 (I-4).
It is very easy and well signposted from Tampa Airport. You then turn on to US27 at junction 55. Takes around an hour depending on time of day and traffic around Tampa airport.

If you are going to be staying in Bridgewater Crossing again, then take the next junction (number 58) and go through Champions Gate

Biggus
07-06-2003, 16:56
Euan,
We flew AA to Miami and connection to Orlando from there - we had a 90 minute stopover - we got off the transatlantic flight reasonably sharpish, got through immigration and customs quite rapidly and had pre checked in at Heathrow for the internal flight, however we ONLY JUST made the gate - not knowing where you are heading in a strange airport when you know you are tight on time is not a nice feeling - and we didn't have kids with us AND had plenty of options on flights if we missed our connection you don't have those luxuries. Personally from what you have said, I think that it would be a hazardous operation, as you say given that you obviously don't fancy an overnighter in Washington (which is not Orlando is it!!!) I would look to another route.
Hope everything works out whichever option you choose....

JB
12-06-2003, 00:06
Euan
I don't think you would find that the 7:15 flight to Tampa from Washington would be their last that evening, however I'm sure the airline would get you into Florida at either TPA or MCO. I was once scheduled to fly back to the UK via LaGuadia (NYC) then connect to my Transatlantic flight in JFK, this was the only option available at the price I was looking at when booking through Airline Network. When the booking-in clerk in the US saw this she immediately changed it to fly from MCO into JFK. I'm sure United will accommodate you in the event of a missed connection, and if it is not missed then you will have a quicker journey. It is also worth mentioning that in my experience I have also seen the Immigration people asking if there are any passengers for the **** connecting flight to **** that was being called at that time, and then fast-tracking those people through.[8D] Let the flight crew know also, they are all there to help and will do so.

caroline
12-06-2003, 00:15
United definitely do this, we have been on flights where the cabin crew have asked everybody to remain seated on landing to allow passengers with a tight connection to disembark first.

Matt
14-06-2003, 16:56
When you get off the aircraft, speak to the ground staff and make sure they know you have a connection. They should be able to pull strings and whisk you through immigration. At least that worked for me last year in Miami.

Matt

CarolAnn
27-09-2005, 20:54
Just reading this connection thread with interest. Not sure what our time at connecting airport is, but hadn't thought to mention to ground staff we are trying to get a connecting flight to Tampa...and can they help? Might be worth it? I kinda assumed there would be plenty of time, or they wouldn't book flights that way? Reading this, I think "never" assume anything[msnwink]

Jo
28-09-2005, 00:28
Been there , done that - far too stressful especially with children.[msnoo] I would say 2hrs minimum .

Don't hang about getiing off the plane and don't stop to go to the loo until you have cleared immigration.

I know it all sounds a bit scaremongering , but many of us have done it and wouldn't repeat it again.[msncry]

The good thing about going indirect is that when you land at Tampa you'll be out of the airport in a shot.

The drive from Tampa is very easy.[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
28-09-2005, 01:19
Praying for a good sleep on the first leg of the journey Jo[msneek]I did say many moons ago, I would do an indirevt flight again, but it was a choice between the flight we have or not getting our 2nd trip to Florida this year[msnoo][msnoo] Guess what we chose[msnsmile2] At least this time , our daughter is 13 and not 3, like she was the last time we did a journey like this.

summerset
28-09-2005, 02:04
Its to tight a time scale - you only need a short delay, arrive late etc and you have missed the connection, allow 2 hrs

Have used United regularly but last time (July) we were a little late arriving and got caught with 3 other incoming flights all fighting to get through immigration, fortunately we had 2 hrs or so before our connection.

Coming back we were again delayed but Unitedd held the aircraft .. mind you here there were 48 on the internal flight all transferring to the London one ..no doubt they couldn't face the hotel bill and it was chaeaper to hold the London flight.

Rob