PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful!!

LiesaAnna
14-11-2005, 14:16
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -- Authorities said an 18-year-old surfer dangling his feet into the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday was bitten by a shark.

The teen was surfing in water up to 8 feet deep near the New Smyrna Beach jetty when the shark swam up and bit him.

Volusia County authorities said the teen, who was not identified, suffered puncture wounds on his right foot. He was taken to a local hospital by ambulance in stable condition.

The size of the shark was not known.

The incident marked the second confirmed shark bite off a beach in this county on Florida's east coast in less than a month.

A 15-year-old boy suffered minor injuries when he stepped on a shark Oct. 15 at the Ponce Inlet jetty.

we were there in sept/oct and mys on in law swam right out!!![msneek] just be very careful if any of you go for a swim!!!!

travelfreak
15-11-2005, 22:49
im not swiming there any more[msncry]

andrewmckay5
15-11-2005, 23:08
Come to the West/Gulf Coast of Florida[msnsmile2]

"Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf Islands are blessed with an abundance of waterfront parks, preserves and piers, and there are 12 miles of beaches to satisfy your urge to relax under cloudless skies, seek treasures from the sea, surfcast for near-shore species or watch your kids play in the waves and build castles in the sand. Englewood Beach is one of the brightest stars in the area's beach constellation, and features a wide public beach of pearly white sands and ample amenities at Chadwick Park. The beach has the characteristics common to barrier islands: warm Gulf waters; shells at the wrack line, where shorebirds seek their sustenance; and opportunities to see dolphins frolicking in the waves. At the beach's southern end is Stump Pass State Park, a pristine coastal habitat with a well-defined trail. Read interpretive signs as they describe the flora and fauna that call the area home. Step out onto the beach to search for fossilized shark's teeth washed in by the tides; you'll find the best ones at the park's southernmost point.

Want to get away from it all? Head out to Don Pedro Island State Recreation Area. The park is accessible only by boat and features white sandy beaches great for basking, shelling and fishing. You can get there in your own boat, on a charter or via water taxi. A truly multi-faceted beach experience awaits at Port Charlotte Beach Park, tucked away on the mangrove-laced coast. You'll find sabal palms striking a pose on the small sandy beach, tennis courts, a boat ramp, heated swimming pool and lots of amenities poised to offer a day of fun. It's a great place to bring young children and a favorite sunset-watching venue.

C h a d w i c k P a r k
Englewood Beach, 941-473-1081 2100 N. Beach Rd

Englewood Sixteen-acre beachfront park with pavilion, boardwalk, barbecue grills, picnic shelters, playground, volleyball courts, fishing, horseshoes, basketball and restrooms.

D o n P e d r o I s l a n d
State Park, 941-964-0375

This barrier island park features a one-mile white sandy beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Accessible only by boat. Boat docks are on the bay side via a channel from green marker #35. Facilities include picnic pavilion, tables, grills, outdoor showers and restrooms. Sunbathing, shelling, fishing. Park fee: $2 per boat.

P o r t C h a r l o t t e
Beach Park, 941-625-7529 Pool: 941-629-0170 4500 Harbor Blvd., Port Charlotte

Amenities include boat ramp, fishing pier, picnic shelters, playground, recreation center with room rentals available, restrooms, heated swimming pool, tennis courts, volleyball courts, canoe/ kayak access, Blueway Trails facility, barbecue grills, basketball, bocci and horseshoes.

S t u m p P a s s
State Park, 941-964-0375 900 Gulf Blvd., Englewood

At the southernmost tip of Manasota Key, this park is a great place for sunbathing, shelling and fishing. Amenities include outdoor showers, restrooms and a weather shelter."

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/200522711470_aaa.JPG

Andrew

LiesaAnna
16-11-2005, 00:21
looks lovely, right now i will go to any side of florida!!:D:D:D

Jill
16-11-2005, 12:34
Andrew thank you for your post and ideas of places to see on the west coast. We are off to our villa on Saturday and taking a week out to travel down the west coast and see some of Florida apart from Home Depot! We will definitely be checking out some of your tips.

Cruella DeVilla
21-11-2005, 19:18
Jill,
The Gulf Coast is beautiful and well worth a visit, we visit almost every trip and will continue to do so. I plan to buy in Naples eventually.

CarolAnn
26-04-2006, 22:12
A thought on my mind today CDV, would need to sort out a lot of other things first, but my interest has been awakened[msnwink]

daveg
13-07-2006, 19:21
I'm not posting this to alarm anyone but Florida has the more shark attacks per year than any other place in the world. More than Australia or South Africa. There are 4 dangerous species that frequent Floridian waters. The bull shark (probably most dangerous), the great white, tiger and oceanic white tip (rare - deep waters).

However I have dived down the keys several time. I've seen a good few sharks and so long as you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Just use common sence (ie Dont swim with a cut and dont swim early in the morning or late at night as that is when they feed).

I'll finish by saying you have more chance of been hit by lightning in Florida than you have of been bitten by a shark.

LiesaAnna
13-07-2006, 21:30
commonsense really and forewarned...............

Southsider
13-07-2006, 21:53
The Sharks are now in Devon too, there has been one spotted here in Plymouth over the weekend.

chrizzy100
13-07-2006, 22:59
I was bite by a shark in Cornwall when I was 6/7...I still have the mark on my head...

Ok it was dead and hang up...but it give me an interest in them every since...I was also covered in its insides...my mum said I smelled bad for a week...LOL

chrizzy100
13-07-2006, 23:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Southsider
The Sharks are now in Devon too, there has been one spotted here in Plymouth over the weekend.
[/quote]

We were in Cornwall when a Great White was in the mouth of the river...the next year its head was in a jar in a small shop near the beach...it was very young to be so small...I was also around the fishing boats when a hammerhead came in...they cut her open and babies fell out into the sea...I spent most of my childhood near fishing boats...getting in the way...asking questions...sometimes sharks that are not native end up near Englands shores....
the best thing was seeing tons of basking sharks off the fishing dock one very hot evening in Lee on Solent...

Jill
14-07-2006, 01:24
The following article is in today's Metro newspaper.

"A fisherman was left reeling as he hooked a 90kg (200lb) shark. Mike Duckett was fishing in the sea off Plymouth when a rare mako shark grabbed his bait. The 70 year old tried to hang on but ran out of line, and the mako - which usually roams tropical seas - swam off. He said 'I knew it was a big one but then I saw a dorsal fin'."

A mako shark is one of the fastest sharks and normally feeds off boney fish. This one must have taken a wrong turn somewhere as they prefer warmer waters than those found round our coasts. They are also capable of jumping approx 6' out of the water.