PDA

View Full Version : The Eye Of The Child

smiler
10-11-2005, 03:11
One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people live.

They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be
considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, 'How was the trip?'

'It was great, Dad.'

'Did you see how poor people live?' the father asked.

'Oh yes,' said the son.

'So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?' asked the father.

The son answered: 'I saw that we have one dog and they had four.

We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a river that has no end.

We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night.

Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go
beyond our sight.

We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.

We buy our food, but they grow theirs.

We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them.'

The boy's father was speechless.

Then his son added, 'Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are.'

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have.

Appreciate every single thing you have, especially your friends!

'Life is too short and friends are too few.'

Ray&Sarah
10-11-2005, 03:33
Life sure is too short, we should all be thankful for what we have, especially good friends.[msnsmile2]

sundowner
10-11-2005, 13:28
Just goes to show, we dont always see things in the same light.

McjohnjM
10-11-2005, 13:34
Really meaningful this, and certainly make you think about the good things you have in life and not just the bad.

Kim & John

LiesaAnna
10-11-2005, 18:19
that was so lovely:)

eagleydo
10-11-2005, 22:02
Refreshing to hear it put that way, but it is so true. Reminded me of something from my past.
My grandparents lived in Wales, my grandfather had been a miner and my parents lived in Surrey which was considerably a much more wealthy area. We were visiting the grandparents and my mother explained that they didn't have an inside toilet like us but a much more basic outside loo(this actually consisted of a wooden seat with a hole in the middle and was flushed by the means of emptying a bucket of water down it, it was housed in an outhouse which you reached via a honeysuckle covered archway) When we returned home we continually nagged my parents about the fact that their toilet was so much better than the two inside ones with modern fittings that we had. Eye of the beholder is it not?