PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Orlando 2003

dannib
05-06-2003, 22:38
Well, unfortunately I have arrived back in England today after my first visit (of 3 weeks) to Orlando, and I hate being back home.

I didn't know what to expect from the holiday, so it was a bit of a shock to the system when we first arrived, as it was pouring with rain, thundering and lightning all evening! I thought, what have I come to Orlando for? we get this weather at home! But the next 3 weeks were perfect! 1 other evening of rain on the whole holiday.

The weather was lovely, although somedays too lovely for doing theme parks, but we managed ok.
The lines for the rides at all the parks were lovely, apart from our visit to Magic Kingdom (memorial weekend!!) We got there at 9am and had only been on 1 ride by 2pm!! But the rest of the holiday was fine, longest wait was spiderman @ universal (45mins) which was well worth the wait!

My dreams came true on our visit to Discovery Cove! It is a day I will never forget for the rest of my life. It was perfect!
We swam with Capricorn, the biggest dolphin in discovery cove, I gave him a kiss, got to be pulled along by him, stroke him and feed him. All in all we spent approx 30-45 mins with him and the trainers. To me it was worth every penny it cost and more!
The service was first class, the food was lovely and to swim through that pool with all those fish was out of this world!

There is still so much that we want to do but we just didn't have enough energy (or hours) to do them.

I have so many happy memories of this holiday (with 12 films, and 5 90minute camcorder films as well) that I could never be able to write it all down, but lets just say this won't be my first and last visit to Orlando.

Ruth
05-06-2003, 23:16
I'm so glad you had such a good time dannib. Rest assured that future visits will be equally memorable, we have never got tired of visiting Florida[8D]

dbrook
06-06-2003, 00:02
... and you've managed to convince me that we need to go to Discover Cove on our next trip!

Glad you have had such a good time and as Ruth says you will I am sure have many more. If anything it gets better with each visit!!

steph_goodrum
06-06-2003, 01:20
I'm so glad you had such a memorable holiday, we've all had that experience at some stage and for most of us this is what prompted our love of Florida enough to want to buy a 2nd home there, it certainly wasn't to get rich. We knew by our 3rd or 4th visit 5 years ago that there was more than enough to keep us wanting to go back and visit time and again.
It is so nice when people find their holiday exceeds their expectations and what, when you start planning your trip and looking at park costs etc seems a very extravagant expenditure, soon becomes a priceless deposit in your memory bank, once you've arrived. Believe me you will relive every moment when you get your films back and watch the videos, get the popcorn and the tissues ready (the camera always seems to come out at the funniest moments) and get everyone together, who went when you watch them all, it's much more fun.

athurstance
11-06-2003, 19:46
We are planning on doing Discovery Cove in April. Everyone who has been seems to really rave about it.
Can you post any more details about your experience there as I would love to hear about it.

Angela

dannib
12-06-2003, 00:31
There is a good reason why everyone raves about it!

There is so much I could say about it! Is there any specific details you want to know?

HERES A START:

We arrived early in the morning, having our complimentary photos done at that time in the morning was not such a good idea (we look like we're still asleep!)

We booked our doplhin swim for 10am, as this meant we wouldn't have to keep an eye on the time all the time in case we missed it!
We went for the meeting before the swim, they tell you all about the dolphins, what you should and shouldn't do near them, and just bits of information about them in general.
The trainers were really friendly, and you could tell the dolphins really trusted them, which was nice, cos you can tell that they greated properly.
The water we got in to was freezing, but that I got in quick enough once I saw the dolphin!!
We got introduced to Capricorn, and the trainer shows you the markings on it, and what they look at to show the difference between them.

We then each got to give him a kiss, one at a time we went up (I got to go first!!)
Then you go off in your group and each group get time alone with him, to stroke, and do tricks with. Then we got pulled along by him one at a time.

we then went back as a whole group and got to stroke him again, and do a few more tricks.

Then at the end all the dolphins from the other groups aswell do a display, where they're al jumping at the same time, and doing flips.

It was the most amazing experience of my life, I don't think you'll be able to find many people thaat wasn't impressed but the whole experience.

We then had the rest of the day to relax, which we did for a little while. I had to let myself calm down as I got a bit over excited after swimming with a dolphin!

We then went for some lunch, which was lovely. I must admit I expected the food to be a bit nasty, but it was lovely, and had losts of choice,and all freshly cooked. even the kids were happy with it!

We then went snorkling through the fishes, and stingrays in the tropical pool, which was for me a bit scary at first being so close to all these rather big fish, but got used to it quite quickly. It was amazing being so close to tropical fish, and they wasn't scared of people or anything, they were swimming around your legs and everything!

As i've said it was well worth every penny we spent on that day, and would recommend anyone to do it if they have the opportunity to.

dannib
12-06-2003, 00:31
There is a good reason why everyone raves about it!

There is so much I could say about it! Is there any specific details you want to know?

HERES A START:

We arrived early in the morning, having our complimentary photos done at that time in the morning was not such a good idea (we look like we're still asleep!)

We booked our doplhin swim for 10am, as this meant we wouldn't have to keep an eye on the time all the time in case we missed it!
We went for the meeting before the swim, they tell you all about the dolphins, what you should and shouldn't do near them, and just bits of information about them in general.
The trainers were really friendly, and you could tell the dolphins really trusted them, which was nice, cos you can tell that they greated properly.
The water we got in to was freezing, but that I got in quick enough once I saw the dolphin!!
We got introduced to Capricorn, and the trainer shows you the markings on it, and what they look at to show the difference between them.

We then each got to give him a kiss, one at a time we went up (I got to go first!!)
Then you go off in your group and each group get time alone with him, to stroke, and do tricks with. Then we got pulled along by him one at a time.

we then went back as a whole group and got to stroke him again, and do a few more tricks.

Then at the end all the dolphins from the other groups aswell do a display, where they're al jumping at the same time, and doing flips.

It was the most amazing experience of my life, I don't think you'll be able to find many people thaat wasn't impressed but the whole experience.

We then had the rest of the day to relax, which we did for a little while. I had to let myself calm down as I got a bit over excited after swimming with a dolphin!

We then went for some lunch, which was lovely. I must admit I expected the food to be a bit nasty, but it was lovely, and had losts of choice,and all freshly cooked. even the kids were happy with it!

We then went snorkling through the fishes, and stingrays in the tropical pool, which was for me a bit scary at first being so close to all these rather big fish, but got used to it quite quickly. It was amazing being so close to tropical fish, and they wasn't scared of people or anything, they were swimming around your legs and everything!

As i've said it was well worth every penny we spent on that day, and would recommend anyone to do it if they have the opportunity to.

dojoman
12-06-2003, 23:06
Would agree with every word of the above. We visited Discovery Cove in 2001 where my children and I all swam with the Dolphins. My wife who could not swim filmed us whilst we were with the dolphins, but she was quite upset when she saw what a great time we all had. We are going back again in September, and my wife has now learned to swim so that she can actually swim with a dolphin, it is definitely worth every penny.[8D]

Ruth
12-06-2003, 23:53
I am doing a repeat visit to Discovery Cove too as soon as the youngest child is 6 and is allowed to do the swim:)

Biggus
13-06-2003, 12:41
One word (or quite a few actually) as a bit of a bonus - if you have 4 or 5 park flex tickets and don't need the 'SeaWorld 14 day entry' - take your flex tickets (as proof) to guest services (will not work if you just "don't want go" to SeaWorld) - they will remove the access to SeaWorld from your ID card and give you a $30 pp discount - we didn't know until it came up casually in conversation with a member of DC staff. Meant a very pleasant bonus to the end of a fantastically wonderful day. Worth every penny (even if you don't get the discount) Will go back next time we are over without hesitation.:D:D:D:D:D

Peter R
14-06-2003, 20:53
Thanks so much for the info - we were wondering whether to go to Discovery Cove when we are out in October - this has made our minds up to go for it!!

Peter R