PDA

View Full Version : Passports - Waiving of 6 month validity

Robert5988
09-11-2005, 01:55
It has been posted many times on this forum that your passport must have a minimum of six months before expiry from the date you leave the USA. e.g. if you go to the USA for a month’s stay you passport must be valid for a minimum of seven months on entry.

I was not aware until recently that this rule has now been waived.

The link is http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/sixmonth.html

which states(and the UK is one of the many countries listed)

COUNTRIES WITH AGREEMENTS WITH THE UNITED STATES TO EXTEND PASSPORT VALIDITY FOR AN ADDITIONAL SIX MONTHS
If you are a passport holder from anyone of the following countries, the requirement that your passport be valid for six months beyond your date of departure from the U.S. is waived.
Your passport must be valid on entry into the U.S. If the passport is not valid for the duration of your stay, you will be required to apply for a new passport from your Embassy while in the U.S. If your visit will be of short duration during which time your passport will expire, we recommend that you obtain a new passport before traveling as you will be admitted only until the date on which the passport expires. Such action before you depart for the U.S. will save you the inconvenience of applying not only for a new passport, but also an extension of stay.

normajohnp
09-11-2005, 02:00
My son-in-law traveled last april ( 2004 ) on this.His passpory expired when we were out there and there was no problems what so ever when we got to America.I beleive it has been in place for a while.

Norma.

emm
09-11-2005, 02:13
I seem to remember someone posting on the forum a while ago that it is the airlines who are insisting that you have 6 months on your passport, not the American authorities. Does anyone know?

ujpest doza
09-11-2005, 02:40
I was under the impression that you needed at least 90 days left on it if travelling on the Visa Waiver Scheme due to the Visa Waiver having a 90 validity.

huckleberry house
09-11-2005, 03:27
No it has definitely been this way for a long time and your passport has to be valid just for the duration of your stay.I do post this information as often as possible whenever the subject is raised but it does still appear that most people still believe it is 6 months.

Lesley

Robert5988
09-11-2005, 03:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: No it has definitely been this way for a long time and your passport has to be valid just for the duration of your stay.I do post this information as often as possible whenever the subject is raised but it does still appear that most people still believe it is 6 months.
[/quote]

Actually it would appear that it doesn't even have to be valid for the "duration of your stay"; although you would be silly to put yourself through the trouble of renewing passport and extending your stay(whilst in the USA) if you were going on a short visit.

However someone on long stay on a Visa might want to take advantage of the relaxation in the rules.

normajohnp
09-11-2005, 12:24
You are right Robert. Our son-in-law only decided to come out with us last minute and his passport ran out 5 days after we arrived in Florida. The airline we were flying with would not commite themselves to saying he would be ok to travel, so I rang the American Embassy and they said it was fine as he was only out there for two weeks. Immagration did not even question it when he arrived.

Norma.

mizzy
09-11-2005, 13:51
Hi

i am travelling 17th march-1st april 2007 and my passport expires 15th July

after checking with virgin and with villa owners both say valid for 90 days from the return flight date

i tried checking with the us embassy website but got lost on it and couldn't triple check the info so to speak

can anyone find a website page that confirms the 90 days from expiry link ? i like to see things in writing

Mizzy

Robert5988
09-11-2005, 14:51
Mizzy,

The link in the initial post and the quote from the site gives the current situation. e.g. in your case you will be OK.

I have never heard of the '90 days from return flight date' rule. It used to be 6 months but as stated in the initial post that has now been waived.

I can't think there will be any website/link that "confirms the 90 days" as such a rule doesn't exist. If Virgin and Villa owner say 90 days, why not ask them to provide a link?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: You are right Robert. Our son-in-law only decided to come out with us last minute and his passport ran out 5 days after we arrived in Florida. The airline we were flying with would not commite themselves to saying he would be ok to travel, so I rang the American Embassy and they said it was fine as he was only out there for two weeks. Immagration did not even question it when he arrived.
[/quote]
Norma,
Your son-in-law's situation is not covered by the link I posted. In fact it specifically states that he would only be granted entry until his passport ran out, i.e. 5 days in his case.

The official position is that he would have had to renew his passport at the Embassy and apply for an extension of stay if he wanted to complete his 2 weeks in the USA.

That said I don't doubt that the immigration officer simply didn't notice his expiry date, or used his discretion to allow a 2 week stay. However I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying to do the same.

Macka
09-11-2005, 17:00
Mizzy did you mean 2006? I didn't think you could book a flight that far in advance?

mizzy
09-11-2005, 20:14
No Macka

i'm not going until 2007 villa is booked and as for flights i am waiting until they become available which will be april 06
but i've definately got a e.mail somewhere with 90 days on it so i'm gonna go check

Mizzy

wrpac00
11-11-2005, 15:59
Isn't the 90 days the duration of your Visa?

The US Embassy site does say - If the passport is not valid for the duration of your stay, you will be required to apply for a new passport from your Embassy while in the U.S. If your visit will be of short duration during which time your passport will expire, we recommend that you obtain a new passport before traveling as you will be admitted only until the date on which the passport expires.

That would suggest that if your pasport expires whilst you are in the US you will have to renew it out there.