PDA

View Full Version : Florida @ Xmas

joanneoliver
07-11-2005, 01:06
Hi everyone

We are going out to Florida for Xmas and New Year with our 3 and 6 year old children in tow! [msnsmile]
We will be based in Orlando, but fancy a visit to Tampa and maybe even Miami. Can anyone offer any good ideas for places to visit with young children at that time of year?
Any and all suggestions would be welcomed!

Best wishes

dawn
07-11-2005, 01:35
Hi Jo,
Busch Gardens in Tampa is always worth a visit - it is our favourite park with rides for all ages plus lots of animals to see. We have always been lucky and have never found it too crowded whenever we have been. It usually takes around 50 minutes to drive from the Orlando area and is straight down the I-4.[msnsmile2]

ellie
08-11-2005, 00:48
Jo, Miami is a wonderful place to visit, but it is a long way - about 240 miles, and there is a strict speed limit of 70, less in places. It is a good 4 hour drive with a couple of stops, depending on traffic. You would probably need to stay overnight, especially as you have young children. Lovely beaches, great Malls, lots to do. Florida Turnpike is a good road.

If you want beaches then it might be better to try the Tampa area, lots of great beaches there. When we visit our villa we try to visit Madeira Beach, less busy and a great Boardwalk nearby with shops and restaurants. Take a look at the Florida Guide, lots of information there.

heathercobbett
09-11-2005, 11:41
The Petting Farm in Poinciana,Cypress Gardens (check the website as everything does not run every day)the playground on the lake at Historic Kissimee (not to be confused with Downtown Kissimme)

To be honest all my guests tell me that they have trouble getting children to leave the house and pool,so do not plan too much as you may find lots of opportunity for some relaxation time for yourselves while the children take advantage of the villa facilities

CERICROWLEY
09-11-2005, 12:25
Joanne.

There are some great ideas here for visiting other parts of Florida, and are great with children of a younger age, but Christmas out in Florida is quite different, your children will just love everything anyway. One of the things I would strongly suggest you do is take a trip around the neighbouring comunities and look at all the homes dressed up for the holidays. Another place to stop off is Celebration, they have snow everynight and everyone we have spoken to say it is well worth the visit.

pieman790
09-11-2005, 14:33
We will be out at Christmas with our children aged 6 and 3.
We are planning on doing the Mickey's, Very Merry Christmas Party, lots of shopping. I have also heard that Celebration is special at Christmas as it actually snows during the evening.
All the parks are extremly busy during the festive period and expect queues at the more popular rides. Fast pass some of the rides if possible and most of all enjoy yourself.

neild292
19-11-2005, 16:06
Make sure you visit celebration; the snow is brilliant

Budboy
19-11-2005, 19:22
Try the Macys parade at Universal, We did this after christmas lunch 2004 and it made a great afternoon.

Also depending on the weather Blue Springs & DeLeon Springs make for a relaxing day.

Paula D-S
19-11-2005, 19:32
I've never been at Christmas but hopefully next year. Just reading these forums it seems to be even more Magical

luckylady
19-11-2005, 20:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
I've never been at Christmas but hopefully next year. Just reading these forums it seems to be even more Magical
[/quote]
Until you have had a Christmas in Florida, you don't know what magic is, I love it, one of the best times to go, followed by January, May, June,Sepember and October. thats my six months out of a year sorted[clap]

LiesaAnna
19-11-2005, 20:09
now Barbara what to do with the other 6 months?[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
20-11-2005, 15:32
Definately check out the snow and Christmas lights at Celebration and Mickeys Very merry Christmas Party is very good too. Out of Orlando we can recommend the beach at Clearwater and a dolphin encounter boat trip.

You will have a fantastic time, any time in Florida is great but Christmas is just that bit extra special.:D

GAIL5
21-11-2005, 13:54
Hi Ray & Sarah,

We are going for Christmas (we go in 18 days!!) and New Year. Where is Celebration? Anywhere we should avoid? Any other tips/ideas?

Thanks

[xmas2]

joanneoliver
22-11-2005, 17:10
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your ideas on what to do in Florida over Xmas - we can't wait - only 23 days to go!!

E. Cosgrove
23-11-2005, 12:21
Jo if you are indeed going to use the Florida Turnpike as Ellie suggests why not read her review of this road in the Florida Guide, we found it really helpful.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
Jo, Miami is a wonderful place to visit, but it is a long way - about 240 miles, and there is a strict speed limit of 70, less in places. It is a good 4 hour drive with a couple of stops, depending on traffic. You would probably need to stay overnight, especially as you have young children. Lovely beaches, great Malls, lots to do. Florida Turnpike is a good road.

If you want beaches then it might be better to try the Tampa area, lots of great beaches there. When we visit our villa we try to visit Madeira Beach, less busy and a great Boardwalk nearby with shops and restaurants. Take a look at the Florida Guide, lots of information there.

[/quote]

Parrothead
23-11-2005, 19:53
Where is Celebration?

Hi Gail,
Celebration is on Hwy 192, East of Disney. It is a pretty town, it 'snows' every night at 5, 6 and 7pm.

Have a great time, we have only 20 days to go, then Florida here we come!!

[msncool]

GAIL5
23-11-2005, 23:29
Hi Noreen,

Thanks for that. I'm sure we'll find it.

What date do you actually go to Florida. We get there on 8th December till 7th January. Looking forward to a hectic/relaxing time. Getting a bit nervous now as it's getting closeer - got so much to do before we go. Where are you staying?

[msnsmile2]

Parrothead
24-11-2005, 16:35
Hi Gail,

we, husband and I, leave on the 13th December, my son and his girlfriend come over on the 15th and my other son Chris arrives on the 25th, cutting it fine :D

We are staying in our place at Windsor Palms, but will be going down the Key West for a day or two for my son Matts 28th birthday. He does not know yet it is a surprise.

Where is your new villa? I am sure you will have a fab time there:)

GAIL5
24-11-2005, 18:25
Hi Noreen,

Our villa is at the Manors at Westhaven. We, hubby John, 5 sons and my mum are all getting quite excited now but I've still got loads to do before we leave so am a bit anxious too. Once we're there I'll be fine.

You're going to have an exciting time, everyone together and celebrating a birthday. Do you have a villa out there? [xmas2]