PDA

View Full Version : A Place in the Sun Magazine

Southsider
28-10-2005, 22:56
I was in WH Smiths yesterday and saw the 'A Place in the Sun' Oct/Nov Magazine and it is all about Florida and also explains all about the different types of visas and the way to get them - Apparently Vegas is the up and coming place to buy Villas!!!!

Snapper
28-10-2005, 23:53
Not sure I'd agree with Las Vegas. I've done heaps of research on the place with regards to where my next purchase is going to be. Las Vegas is interesting from a long term let point of view because the city is growing so quickly and so much of the workforce there tend to be transient (looking to rent) rather than permanent.

Villas, as we know them in Orlando, I think simply wouldn't work in Las Vegas because there is access to such incredibly good value accomodation already. The equivalent in Florida would be if the Disney properties like the Swan/Dolphin or Grand Floridian priced their rooms at $79/night and also threw in free park tickets.

Las Vegas has also seen a property boom larger than Orlando as all the dot.com money flooded out of California and bought second homes in the sun. I personally think it's a bit of a close call at the moment with regards to whether you can make any serious money by investing there (vs. speculating there). If you were just looking to speculate the price of property it's a great place, but then by a similar chalk you could just put your quarter of a million on black and see what comes up. I can guarantee you a quicker result, far less paperwork and a much bigger buzz by doing this.

That said, I think it's a fantastic town and on my list of desirable places to live it's far far higher than Orlando. Las Vegas has just the same visa problems as Orlando though when it comes to trying to move there permanently.

All this said Tricia this is in no way intended to be a knock at your post but hopefully something that stimulates a bit of discussion.

Dubai is currently top of my list of interesting places for a next place to buy, assuming after all the research that it proves not to be oversold the way the rest of the world currently is. Dubai's problem as far as I can see is not the lack of visas however, it's the lack of beer :-(

Cruella DeVilla
29-10-2005, 12:16
Our builder is building in Vegas and we had a quick look at the properties some time ago. I think the crowd in Vegas is too transient, and I dont think there is a market for our type of properties as the hotels are good value and people definately want to be in amongst the aciton not 20 minutes away from it and again it is an adult niche.

We love Vegas and are planning t visit soon but would not consider private accomodation the hotels have so much to offer and for everyone that's been there I am sure they will agree with this line of though:D

Ray&Sarah
29-10-2005, 13:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Our builder is building in Vegas and we had a quick look at the properties some time ago. I think the crowd in Vegas is too transient, and I dont think there is a market for our type of properties as the hotels are good value and people definately want to be in amongst the aciton not 20 minutes away from it and again it is an adult niche.

We love Vegas and are planning t visit soon but would not consider private accomodation the hotels have so much to offer and for everyone that's been there I am sure they will agree with this line of though:D
[/quote]

Yes we agree with you CDV, having stayed in Vegas a couple of years ago and planning to visit again within the next couple of years. The hotels are good value and we love being in the heart of it all.[msnsmile]

luckylady
29-10-2005, 13:44
We also love Vegas, been many times but never stayed for more than 5 days.
The hotels are good value and luxurious, but wouldn't dream of staying for a two week holiday
I also would not stay in private accomodation
Do visiters go to Vegas for two weeks?

Ray&Sarah
29-10-2005, 13:50
We went for a week Barbara and to be honest that was probably too long, five days would be ideal, plenty to keep you occupied in that time.[msnsmile2]

DiannaUK
29-10-2005, 14:06
We've been to Vegas a couple of times (most recent last year) and we wouldn't stay in a vacation home, no matter how grand, because we like to be on the strip amonst all the action. I certainly feel for holiday makers this is part of the holiday, enjoyed the buzz of the particular themed hotel that you stay in. To be honest, it's a pain being at one end of the strip rather than in the middle, so a vacation home that is even further away would definitely be off my agenda.

We usually combine a trip to Vegas with a trip somewhere else (last year it was a week in Vegas and a week in Hawaii), as much as I love Vegas, 2 weeks on the trot would be too much for me.

Now we have our home in Orlando, we'll definitely be popping across for a further visit, but I would not buy property there.

Dianna.

Snapper
29-10-2005, 15:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady

Do visiters go to Vegas for two weeks?[/quote]
We do Barbara.

It started off years and years ago with a plan to spend two weeks on a beach somewhere in the med just to relax and basically do nothing. We then realised that we could get a flight and accomodation to Las Vegas for not much more than flight and accomodation to somewhere nice in Europe. We could spend the two weeks lying in the sun by the pool at the Mirage and it wouldn't be that much different to lying in the sun on a beach somewhere in Europe, other than the beautiful skimpily clad lady bringing drinks whenever you wanted one, fewer screaming hoardes, better more predictible weather, etc. Las Vegas was already ahead with this thinking and then once the sun sets you have access to everything Las Vegas has to offer. Restaurants (some amongst the best in the world), shows, nights out, bars and the general buzz of the town. It wins hands down every time.

One of my investment ideas for Las Vegas (amongst all the others) is for property on retirement communities. It's a great town to retire to because of the climate and the low cost of living; although the climate in my opinion can't touch Phoenix. Las Vegas gets quite cold and can be a bit rainy in winter where Phoenix stays really warm. Some retiring folks may well choose to sell-up their existing homes and downsize to release funds for their retirement. Some of these will choose to rent. From an investment point of view this is approaching a perfect tennent. You have a certain level of security and your tennents are going to be looking for new tennents every 6 months. You could end up with one tennent being in the home for years and years and years; all the time paying the mortgage for you.

Cruella DeVilla
29-10-2005, 18:03
We did 12 days but we were getting married and went out with nothing but the rings so had a few things to sort like wedding dress and suit:D I think most people only go for a few days/nights.

SDJ
25-11-2005, 20:32
We invest in UK where our properties have made us a good return in the last two years. The villa we have here is mainly our vacation home, but would like about 12 weeks per annum rented to cover costs.

I also think Dubai might be the next place on our list.

Sandra