PDA

View Full Version : Kraken

athurstance
18-02-2002, 16:54
Has anyone done Kraken? What's it like?
I'm not a huge fan of Sea World but like Journey to Atlantis. Is it worth a day trip just to do the two rides do you think?

imported_n/a
19-02-2002, 00:50
We havent done it but friends of ours have and said it makes Journey to Atlantis looks quite feeble. Last time we were at Sea World, one eveining last Easter, the queues were only 10 minutes.

porky
19-02-2002, 11:35
I've done it, only because I was made to! Go on mum, you'll be okay really. Don't be a wimp! Go on etc etc.

So to shut up the kids and hubby I took one ride. I screamed all the way round and couldn't get my hands off the bars when we finished because they'd been olding so tight they were cramped.

I hate drops, don't mind the twists and upside down bits but the drops, ugh and Kracken has one big almighty drop at the very begining.
Just as well I hadn't eaten before I went on it. Am not taking the kids this year so I won't be cajouled into going on it again.

Jacqui

esprit
04-03-2002, 02:49
My guide book says the Kraken goes under water. I have been on about five times and it never does.Or have I just got my eyes shut at the relevant moments??

Julie Carty

Kissyme
12-11-2002, 19:52
Went on Kraken many times last year and it doesnt go under water but be warned the message about keeping keys hats and wot not secure if for a good reason hubby got and had lost car keys!!! they stoped the ride for half an hour until they found them people in queue not happy but hubby very relieved to get keys back

Lakul
12-11-2002, 20:06
My hubby lost is sunglasses[:0]after storing them in the neck of his t-shirt. Never did get them back. But hubby and our boys say it's one of the best rides and they kept going on it over and over again. It does go through some water, but it's so shallow you wouldn't notice it.

Darrel (aged 14) says it's the best ride in Orlando and Josh (aged 12) says it's brilliant.

caroline
12-11-2002, 20:21
My hubby and 11 year old son also think this is the best ride ever invented!! - Our daughter was sobbing in the queue (she's nearly 19) because she didin't want to go on, but didn't want to NOT go on!!! and so I never got to try it as I ended up waiting with her:( - I was heartbroken at not going on it;)

tinkerbell
12-11-2002, 21:38
Kraken is a brilliant roller coaster, and every time I have been there it never seems to have a long queue! The big drop at the bginning is very hairy, and it is worsened byt he fact that you can see the track below your feet and also nothing above your head very weird!

Last time I went on Kraken, my brother and I saw an extremely large alligator outside the boundaries of the park just sitting by the side of the road!! We couldnt take our eyes off it and the whole way round we were trying to look at it again! Unbelievable!!

K4LGB
27-03-2003, 14:44
I found it very similar to Nemesis at Alton Towers.
Between 5 and 7 in the evening is the best time to go on - I went round 4 times in quick succession, less than 5 minutes wait. Unfortunately it was June and a Thunderstorm stopped the ride as I was waiting in the queue for the front car.:(
I only got to do this as my fiancee was having a rest - she doesn't do coasters so this is the only park I have been to so far that I have managed to get onto a decent white-knuckle ride! [:p] [}:)]

tinkerbell
27-03-2003, 17:04
Dont agree with that comparison sorry! Kraken is a totally different experience to Nemesis, for a start, you are not suspended! It's pretty much the reverse idea of Nemesis where you are above the track, although you still have no floor!

I really rate this as one of the best coasters in Orlando!

trevorsem
07-04-2003, 18:04
quote:Originally posted by athurstance

Has anyone done Kraken? What's it like?
I'm not a huge fan of Sea World but like Journey to Atlantis. Is it worth a day trip just to do the two rides do you think?

Kraken is very good. Better than the similar Montu at Busch.

My fav is still Gwazi at Busch.

[8D]

Trev

Ray&Sarah
30-04-2004, 03:05
Kraken is a good roller coaster, similar to montu at Busch but bigger! Haven't done journey to atlantis don't like the water![msncry]

LesleyB
09-05-2004, 23:01
Kraken is the one ride that I really want to do - unfortunately I would have to go on by myself as the rest of the crew are too small/too scared! Will have to buy a Seaworld ticket in October just for this.:D

Lesley

Ray&Sarah
10-05-2004, 00:01
Yeh the rest of my crew were to scared as well! Chickens!:D[msnsmile2]

chrisj
10-05-2004, 00:57
I wasnt scared, I went on it twice. But I aged 30 years needed to sit down for 10 minutes
and had to have a smoke :D must be my age

Nostromo
19-05-2004, 02:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell
Dont agree with that comparison sorry! Kraken is a totally different experience to Nemesis, for a start, you are not suspended! It's pretty much the reverse idea of Nemesis where you are above the track, although you still have no floor!

I really rate this as one of the best coasters in Orlando!
[/quote]

That's right. The design on Kraken manages to achieve the best of both worlds ie a conventional 'riding' coaster but without a floor. Suspension coasters like Nemesis and Duelling Dragons are better in loops, but don't work so well in sharp cornering and (especially) drops. During a drop in a suspension coaster, you don't get that feeling of weightlessness (in fact, you feel heavier!) that you do with a 'rider' coaster.

mikewj
15-06-2004, 08:58
Just been on Kraken in a thunder storm. In fact, we were very suprised that it was still running.

There's nothing like being at the top of the first hill of a metal roller coaster watching forks of lightning touch down in the distance, and the rain was particularly painful !

When we got off, there was an announcement about Journey to Atlantis closing due to the storm, but still no mention of Kraken. Maybe its a new feature, twists, turns and fries [msnsmile2]

boo-yeh
30-06-2004, 17:24
Ace ride... just love the first drop, a must for any coaster lover. [msnsmile2]

Snapper
30-06-2004, 21:46
We loved the Kraken. If you ride it and like it try the Hulk at Islands of Adventure too. It's very similar.

The thing we really like about both these coasters is that whoever designed them got the maths right. They have tons of loops, drops and twists but the transition between each is really smooth. It gives you an incredible ride but without jiggling you around enough to make your lunch re-appear. You still don't know which way is up when you get off but at least you aren't too dizzy or queasy in the way some of the older coasters can make you. This is just as well too as the Kraken still makes the top-10 list of the most inversions (7 in total): http://www.coaster-world.com/records.shtml

I'm not sure I would want to be on it in a thunderstorm though!

LesleyB
30-06-2004, 22:59
We've decided to book Discovery Cove in October and we will get a 14 day pass to Seaworld and Busch Gardens in the price - lots and lots of opportunities for me to finally get to ride Kraken! ... then to try Montu for the first time! Can't wait. Roll on October

Lesley

pigletsplace2003
23-07-2004, 02:53
Kraken is FAB , make sure you queue to get on the front , its worth it :D:D

linda.s
23-07-2004, 03:24
Loved it!!! I only went on once, kids several times - I have a debilitating condition - motion sickness.........!! I LOVE roller coasters, but my stomach doesn't! Whilst I don't get physically sick, I do feel queasy and look green for quite some time. Hubby thinks it's hysterical! He won't go on any rides, as he hates them, but he doesn't feel any form of travel sickness - where's the fairness in that eh? I usually stagger off, the colour of a stagnant pond, saying "Oh, that was great, what a thrill" then "I feel sick, where's the bucket?" then "Oh, I want to go on again, the drops were great" then, "Where's that bucket?" Etc etc....... Still, I'll be on them again this year!

Lesley 999
16-08-2004, 00:38
Kraken is probably the best ride we went on all holiday, especially when we rode the front row in the dark in a rainstorm, (the rain was particularly painful!) Hulk IOA and Montu at Busch run it pretty close though.

walden64
16-08-2004, 02:10
The whole of the family think Kraken is fantastic.
Matthew aged 7 was just tall enough to go on it this year for the first time.
After seeing this photo that we took in June no one will every get me to go on it

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/walden64/20048152284_Kraken.JPG
Michelle

Ana
16-08-2004, 02:45
Kraken is fantastic - and one of the least "jolty" coasters. I think it's a good one for coaster newbies to cut their teeth on.
Atlantis is more of a themed ride - and not so thrilling - but fab all the same!

pieman790
21-08-2004, 13:12
The first drop seem to take forever but once you get over that its a fun ride.

BlueDaze
21-09-2004, 03:00
Our family voted it 'best coaster in Orlando'...

Get in early, head for Kraken and get on the front row, left edge. FANTASTIC...!!

Nostromo
21-09-2004, 11:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ana
Kraken is fantastic - and one of the least "jolty" coasters.
[/quote]

It is also one of the quietest. I read somewhere that they use some sort of sandy substance to 'lubricate' the rails to achieve a fast, quiet and smooth ride.

BlueDaze
22-09-2004, 03:10
Sandy Substance..?? Wasn't he the fella in the wheelchair in Crossroads..??

KirstieLou
05-10-2004, 17:18
Its a brilliant ride.

Great from the front row and loads of g's from the back row.

I would say its the smoothest ride I've ever been on

bluebirds
03-11-2004, 20:01
This is the ride my 8yr old roller coaster nutter of a son wants to do the minute he walks into seaworld. Mother(me) is not so sure. Do they do bay-swap. ie one parent goes on and then the other goes on the next go as they are looking after the off spring?

Nostromo
03-11-2004, 20:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bluebirds
This is the ride my 8yr old roller coaster nutter of a son wants to do the minute he walks into seaworld. Mother(me) is not so sure. Do they do bay-swap. ie one parent goes on and then the other goes on the next go as they are looking after the off spring?
[/quote]

They do baby swaps. A couple did this right in front of us.

BTW, let your son first ride in the front row of the Kraken and then the very last row. There are separate queues for both.:)

djdigitald
03-11-2004, 21:08
All I can say is SUPERB

Sally D
03-11-2004, 21:50
Husband and 3 daughters loved.[msnsmile2] Not for me. I did go on it once as they all kept on, never again on this or any other roller coaster for me.[sick]

chunkichik
16-11-2004, 02:59
Loved it!!!! first roller coaster I went on in Orlando, i was proper p**hing myself in the queue, but I think this just adds to the experience. [:O]

langley
18-11-2004, 17:47
I went on this fab ride yesterday, my sister-in-law whimped out, it looks worse than it is.

I thought what am I doing on here while we were waiting to leave the bay, but I loved the ride it is a must and there was no lines, you could of got straight back on !!!!!

A definate MUST DO in my book.

nicklangdon
06-03-2005, 20:59
Chickened out last time i went but am gonna go on it this time, going May 7th, 62 days and counting[msnsmile2] Cant wait

ORLANDO_MAGIC
06-03-2005, 22:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by nicklangdon
Chickened out last time i went but am gonna go on it this time, going May 7th, 62 days and counting[msnsmile2] Cant wait
[/quote]

Here is a taster of the first climb...Enjoy its great fun.
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/200536182126_up.jpg

philgrove
08-03-2005, 02:25
nick stop being such a woosy, its only a ride, maybe you should ask mummy and daddy first......

only joking mate, see you in work tomorrow.....

only 61 days now, yee haa.[clap][clap][clap]

Lyn
12-03-2005, 21:03
Used to love roller coasters when I was younger but they now make me feel really sick so give them a miss. David (my son) however would go on Krakan time & time & time again. Rebecca (my daughter) is coming with us this year, she hasn't been since Kraken opened so they will go on it together. I would stay in Shamu stadium all day and watch every show.

gednandrea
30-05-2005, 20:25
Kracken is just brilliant and i screamed all the way around when we went on the front row - not because i was scared but because it was an absolutely fabulous experience!

Try it [clap]

gerry67
09-06-2005, 23:47
I would really like to take a ride on the Kraken, but the other 8 people i am going with will never in a million years go on it. I am 15 do you think i would be okay on it myself?

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 00:15
my hubby says how much do you like rollercoasters?????
its fast and throws you around a bit so if thats what you like then go for it!

hubbys also saying he would recommend the wooden rollercoaster at Busch Gardens!!!
but you do realize we need proof[msnwink] if you do these rides! we wanna trip report and photos if possible??[msnwink][msncool][msncool]

Sally D
10-06-2005, 00:22
My girls are 10, 13 and 15 and they all go on kraken together with their Dad but they would all be happy to go on their own.

gerry67
10-06-2005, 00:31
wel yes i like rollarcoasters i just get very nervous queing up and going on myself!

i wil try my hardest to get proof.

unfortunatley i am not goin 2 busch gardens although i would love to...do you reccommend any other rides in other parks across florida??[msnscared]

domster
10-06-2005, 01:18
You will love it.....

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 01:18
we did islands of adventure, very good! didnt spend much time in mgm but it is good, but in seaworld there is another hubby said to tell you about which is journey to atlantis water ride with a nice twist he said to tell you!! my family really recomend it!![msnwink]

gerry67
10-06-2005, 01:32
i hav heards alot about that ride in sea world...i cant wait to see shamu though he looks brilliant...that will be the highlight of my holiday :Di wil just push my self on the kraken cause if i dont go on it i will regret it when i leave...and i never know when i am goin back so am goin 4 it..wooo[msnsmile2][msnsmile]:D:)

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 03:08
you will enjoy every minute of it!!! so busy chatting about the rides we forgot to mention the dolphins and of course shamu!!!!!!
the whales are beautiful !!!!!!!!! make sure you sit in the first few rows![msnwink]if you sit nearer to the centre so you can see it better you may see yourself on seaworlds webcam!!!
we love seaworld!!!!

gerry67
30-03-2006, 23:57
KRAKEN WAS THE BEST RIDE OF MY WHOLE HOLIDAY!:D I WAS SCARED BUT ONCE YOU ARE ON IT IT IS AMAZING...IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEAWORLD YOU HAVE TO DO THIS FIRST AND LAST THING BECAUSE ONCE YOU GO ON IT ONCE YOU WONT WANT TO COME OFF!!:) JOURNEY TO ATLANTIS WAS THE FIRST RIDE OF MY HOLIDAY AND IT WASNT AS GOOD AS I EXPECTED BUT IT WAS STILL GOOD...ATLANTIS IS GOOD FOR BEGINNERS!![8D] CHECK OUT THE PIC!!

LiesaAnna
31-03-2006, 05:16
hope we get to see some photos please[msnwink] my lot love krakken!!!

Maz
31-03-2006, 21:06
Love Kraken - but not overly keen on journey to atlantis - not as much fun as splash mountain at MK or Jurassic park at IOA.

Debbie

jackie greaves
03-04-2006, 02:37
Kraken is the best. We all love it. We had a 2 year pass to Sea World and went 2 or 3 times each holiday just to ride Kraken, and then would go onto another park. We used to get to Sea World when it opened, ride Kraken 3 times, in the front row, and then leave as all the other guests were arriving. Mad or what?????

Sue and Jere
03-04-2006, 02:40
Jere's favorite ride :D

Kazzie
02-06-2007, 15:02
Some of these type of rides have a different line for front row but not sure exactly if Kraken does.

Karen

brizzle
02-06-2007, 19:33
Kraken has a separate queueing area for the front row near the end of the queue.
You stand in the same queue up until where it splits and it is clearly indicated so you should have no problems spotting it.

sammibabe
16-07-2007, 02:17
My husband and daughter went on this and loved it. Unfortunately I have to stay with the shorties of the group. Have sussed out that the rides I can deal with are the ones my 7 year old is tall enough to do (well she was 6 at the time) Hubby and daughter loved Sheikra too. They sat next to someone who had a season ticket for Busch and apparently you can then just stay on if you want to. She had and had ridden something like 20 times in a row, beaten by her son who had allegedly done 48!

Mr G
18-07-2007, 00:20
Love Kraken, no one would go on with me so ended up sat next to a young girl and her Dad. She had been on it 5 times. I was scared but daren't show it, seemed best to pretend I had riden it before. It is a great ride and will try and get rest of the family on it next time[msneek]

Nielsen
18-07-2007, 02:54
Gr8 - gr8 ride tried it 5 times over 2 visits to SeaWorld. Going again next time [clap]

TOM

ccarcher
23-08-2007, 20:16
Possibly the best coaster in Florida in my opinion, certainly up there with Hulk and I love it just because its so long and a proper ride none of this over in 30 secs

Redeye
06-09-2007, 21:18
I agree this is is possibly the best coaster. Higher and faster than all the others, I think, it starts with a brilliant drop and is on long rush all round. One tip, for all of them it is worth queuing a bit longer for the front row. By far the best seats.

becbecs
08-09-2007, 15:57
Kracken is our Family Favorite out of all the rollercoasters, but there are a few that come fairly close.