PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Driving Licence In Florida.

SteveDonovan
03-06-2003, 00:23
Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for getting a licence. I understand that it has to be done within 30 days of taking up residence, but I am unclear as to what needs to be done. Any advice from others much appreciated.

esprit
03-06-2003, 02:33
You have to take a driving test, a multi choice theory test and a simple practical test ( not on the road apparently, round an obstacle course) Two of my friends just did it and said it was easy peasy ( well I am hoping so anyway!!)

blott
03-06-2003, 02:42
As far as I'm aware, you apply to the Driving Licence place to take it - there's a theory part which you have to pass and then the driving test itself is around the car park. For info try here http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/index.html

bellaepovera
03-06-2003, 15:32
Yes the test is very easy. And the cost i believe is $20

chrizzy100
04-06-2003, 02:25
I've heard from an American friend who lives down there.....that you have to hand in your Brit licence.....is that just if you live in the States full time....or did he get that wrong.....we never had to in Mass....I still have my brit licence.....I'll have to take an eye test and hand in my Mass licence....I know....but I can't see how they could ask a Brit for their English licence.....I think he got that wrong.......[?]

fiona
04-06-2003, 02:44
Chrizzy are you sure they don't mean hand in their International Licence? I could see that happening, but not your Brit one. Never heard of this, but who knows!

blott
04-06-2003, 03:25
Yes, I'm almost positive you have to do that... grounds being that you can't need both if you're living in Florida.

chrizzy100
04-06-2003, 19:39
No it was your full brit one....but only if you move there full time.....

chrizzy100
04-06-2003, 19:42
I wonder why Mass lets you keep it then....??
I'll have not trouble in keeping my brit licence because I already have an American one.....I wonder if you go back to the UK you could just say you lost your brit licence and get a new one anyway....?

fiona
04-06-2003, 21:17
Think you might have to re-take the test - and it's a lovely new one!:(

chrizzy100
05-06-2003, 01:05
I just have to have an eye test....and hand in my Mass licence....I don't really have to chance my licence for a while because I have an address in Mass....and this will be my second home....in Mass you have just a five min test to make sure you drive on the right side of the road....and answer 14 or so questions right out of about 30ish....

JB
12-06-2003, 00:52
When I lived in New Jersey I took the theory test only and then issued me with my new US license whilst keeping my UK one. Perhaps Florida take your UK license to stop you from being able to continue driving and presenting a legal document to the police should your Florida license have been taken away due to motoring offences.

chrisj
12-06-2003, 03:04
A neighbour who has a daughter in Florida and visits often took his driving test in
Orlando and has both a UK and US Liceince, so you dont have to give up your UK one

florida4sun
12-06-2003, 03:14
No you dont need to hand it in. I still need my brit liscence as I have a insured vehicle in the UK.

quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

No it was your full brit one....but only if you move there full time.....

chrizzy100
12-06-2003, 18:29
I don't think they take it away if you visit and take a test.....just if you have a greencard....etc....and live in the States full time.....

neilandkay
12-06-2003, 20:26
Maybe it is a state related thing.

Here in California we have both a CA driving licence and we still have our UK ones.

CarpeDiem
13-06-2003, 12:20
Just reading the posts and somemone mentiones an eye yest. Is the eye test the same as in the Uk where you have to read a number plate at 60 feet or is the eye test different in Florida?

CarpeDiem
13-06-2003, 12:22
Sorry that should have been eye test Not yest...to early in the morning [:0]

blott
13-06-2003, 16:47
I think you'll find, if you click on the link above I posted (http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/index.html) it tells you about the eye test necessary, ie a standard vision test and it even gives you an example!

CarpeDiem
13-06-2003, 17:07
Blott thanks thats very helpful.

MTP
14-06-2003, 01:34
CarpeDiem,

I had a look at the above link and out of professional interest (I am an optometrist) and I will ry to compare it to the UK standard.

To quote from one of our professional bodies information sheets (which can be found at www.assoc-optometrists.org/uploaded_files/pdf/02-drivers.pdf):

quote:
The standard for Ordinary drivers is the ability to read in good light (with the aid of glasses or contact lenses, if
worn) a registration mark fixed to a motor vehicle and containing letters and figures 79.4 millimetres (31/8 inches
high) at a distance of 20.5 metres (67 feet), or 12.3 metres (40 feet) in the case of an applicant for a licence for
authority to drive vehicle confined to Group K (milk floats and pedestrian controlled mowing machines). NB the
distance for the number plates introduced on 1st September 2001 is 20 metres, but at the time of writing legislation
has not been introduced to reflect this change, and “old style” number plates are to be used until the Act is
changed.

There is no precise Snellen equivalent to the number plate standard. Drasdo and Haggerty found that applying a
standard of 6/9-2 (6/10) resulted in a mathematical equivalent to this (i.e. this standard failed the same
proportion of people, but not necessarily the same individuals). The normal number plate test found on many
test charts is NOT equivalent and should not be relied upon. It must be emphasised that the statutory standard
of visual acuity for drivers is the practical test which has to be taken in good light. The number plate test is
prescribed in the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations and the Road Traffic Act 1988, makes it an
offence for anyone to drive a motor vehicle on a road while his eyesight is such (whether through a defect which
cannot be or one which is not for the time being sufficiently corrected) that he cannot comply with the standard
quoted above.
The problem with the above is that it is all very vague (what precisely is good light, is the number plate clean or dirty, what type face is to be used,...) but it is what we have to work on.

The Florida standard is at least a little more scientific. There is a difference in the Snellen figures used as the Americans are empirical and the UK is metric. So 6/6 = 20/20 (the first number is the measuring distance 6 metres or 20 feet the second number is the size of the letter being used, the larger the number the bigger the letter). 6/6 or 20/20 is taken as being "normal vision", but don't get me started on that one!

Anyway the web link above makes the three following statements of requirements:

quote:
Have 20/40 (or better) vision in each and both eyes. With or without corrective lenses.

If you have 20/200 (or worse) vision in one eye, you must have 20/40 (or better) vision in the other eye. With or without corrective lenses.

If you have 20/70 (or better) vision in either eye separately, or in both eyes together. The worst eye must have a vision screening better than 20/200. With or without corrective lenses. Referral to an eye doctor may be required.

So the first line equates to 6/12 (or better) vision in each and both eyes.
Second line 6/60 (or worse) is usually the first single big letter at the top of the letter chart used in an eye test, then you must have 6/12 or better in the other eye. This seems a little at odds with the first statement, which says you have to have 6/12 or better in both eyes. But it seems from this statement that you have to at least have one eye that can read 6/12 or better.
However the third line says that as long as with both eyes together you can see 6/21 or better then as long as the weakest eye

brianthebare
14-06-2003, 01:49
Hi,

Xcuse me being a little thick here - am i ok to drive in FL for my 2 week hols next year with my brit licence ?

Ta.

Chris7
14-06-2003, 02:04
yes - and you'll need to take it with you if you plan to hire a car!

MTP
14-06-2003, 02:07
As long as you have a valid UK licence then that's fine.

You may want to get the new UK style licence as the American's are much happier with that and as it is picture ID it can be used if you "carded" when buying a drink (or for those days again!). For renting a car you are also meant to take your paper portion with you, but I have never been asked to provide it when getting the car.

Best wishes,

Euan

Chris7 you must have been typing at the same time as me!:) Now it just looks daft that I also replied:(:D.

chrizzy100
14-06-2003, 02:25
I'm nearly blind in my left eye from birth.....I got a licence both in the UK and in the USA......we do a box test here.....you look down this tube....you read the letters with both eyes..then each eye in turn....then lights flash to see how your all round vision is....they hate to take away your licence in the USA ....a cars a must for most people......most of the oldies round here I'm sure can't see a thing....

brianthebare
14-06-2003, 19:26
Thanks. I moved house last year and so I now do have a pic licence. Phew!

Regards,
Brian.