PDA

View Full Version : What is really a "GOOD PRICE" fare ?

Fourdents
24-10-2005, 21:53
For a good deal what would you consider a reasonable price for a flight

I know we all have individual ideas, of what a good deal is
ie time of year, etc, but it would be interesting to find out.

Linda

Macka
24-10-2005, 22:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fourdents
For a good deal what would you consider a reasonable price for a flight

I know we all have individual ideas, of what a good deal is
ie time of year, etc, but it would be interesting to find out.

Linda
[/quote]

For me, a scheduled, non-stop, economy flight off season (whatever that is,) for around £350 would be cheap, £400 reasonable and £450 expensive.

shenon
24-10-2005, 22:30
I know virgin have some great deals at the moment but they must be booked by October 28th and you can fly direct
11 Nov-9 Dec
1 Jan- 16 March for £312
I think that's a great deal and must say i am really tempted myself:)

LiesaAnna
24-10-2005, 22:34
i think £350 is reasonable for anytime!!! wouldnt mind paying that any time of the year for myself!!

chris c
24-10-2005, 22:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by shenon
I know virgin have some great deals at the moment but they must be booked by October 28th and you can fly direct
11 Nov-9 Dec
1 Jan- 16 March for £312
I think that's a great deal and must say i am really tempted myself:)
[/quote]

I've got one of those for my trip in January and am well pleased!!

normajohnp
24-10-2005, 23:16
We booked on Saturday flying from Manchester via Philly to Orlando.£812.00 for the three of us.Now that to me is a GREAT bargain.My sister has tried to get the same flight today and she has been quoted £1122.00 for two of them. THATS TO GO ON THE SAME FLIGHT THAT WE ARE ON!!! Just goes to show when you see a good deal grap it quick.

Norma

Jo
24-10-2005, 23:30
Under £400 for a school holiday flight

Fourdents
24-10-2005, 23:38
Norma

That is disgsting....same plane,same flight great difference in the price. How do they get away with it ?

Linda

24-10-2005, 23:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fourdents
Norma

That is disgsting....same plane,same flight great difference in the price. How do they get away with it ?

Linda
[/quote]

With most scheduled flights the earlier you book the cheaper the price, as the flight fills up the prices go up too[msnscared] Even on low cost airlines like Easy Jet[msnwink]

The pricing of an airline ticket is half art, half science -- a process that leans heavily on mathematical algorithms, historical patterns, human appetite for risk and the laws of supply and demand.

Day-to-day and sometimes hour-to-hour, the price can go up and down based on how full the plane is when the ticket is purchased.

If the flight books quickly, the airline will take away the cheaper seats and add more expensive seats. The reverse will happen if the bookings are slow. It is no different than a restaurant using early-bird specials to fill tables before the dinner rush or a hotel charging more for reservations during peak tourist seasons.

And like hotel bargains during a slow period during peak travel season, airlines also slash fares in the days before a flight just to fill seats with paying passengers that otherwise would go empty. The most obvious example of this are the "e-savers" that airlines make available for travel the following weekend.

The rest of the seats were reserved for last-minute business travelers, the people who had the money and were willing to pay for the convenience -- a trade-off that maximized revenue for the carrier upon takeoff.

But the pricing strategy, while beneficial to the airline, confuses travelers.

[msnwink][msnwink]

Macka
24-10-2005, 23:58
Yep, as Billy Butlin once said.

"BOOK EARLY".[msnsmile2]

ellie
25-10-2005, 01:37
We have recently booked flights for Christmas, scheduled, one stop, for £312. We thought that was pretty good at this late stage.

Chloe
25-10-2005, 04:07
My husband and I flew from Manchester to Sanford last Dec.4 with My Travel and paid only £199 each. The trouble is that after such a great deal it spoils you, and you want it again. Chloe

traceya89
25-10-2005, 04:56
I have always booked 2 weeks before the holiday and have paid between £129 to £199. the cheaper the better. i once got a flight to florida from newcastle in may for £69. that was a bargain.

Fourdents
25-10-2005, 14:30
Thanks to all for the useful comments

Linda