PDA

View Full Version : Wilma!

thumpertwinkle
18-10-2005, 22:36
I don't believe our luck.

Wilma may hit Florida Sat/Sun, we fly on Saturday!

Our flight is to via Chicago so I don't know if we will end up there for a day or so if it strikes.[msnsad]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-10-2005, 22:44
It could do anything at this stage so I would not get too worried yet. Best advice is keep up to date with the progress of it via the official channels and not get too worried about the scaremongering about hurricanes we see on the TV here.

Cowboy
18-10-2005, 23:12
John is absolutely correct. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn,t even be concerned about it yet. Your carrier will have advice for you nearer your departure time. Last September Jeanne was tracking merrily north west up the Atlantic and suddenly made a complete U-turn. Originally Wilma was forecast to be heading along a similar track as Katrina and Rita.

Mike and Kath.

chrizzy100
19-10-2005, 01:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by thumpertwinkle
I don't believe our luck.

Wilma may hit Florida Sat/Sun, we fly on Saturday!

Our flight is to via Chicago so I don't know if we will end up there for a day or so if it strikes.[msnsad]

[/quote]

Give it a few more days....its to far away to tell where it will hit yet.....look again Thursday...

wilfy
19-10-2005, 03:42
This storm hasn't done 1 thing forecasted yet. We travel on Thursday, so we plan to keep the occasional eye on the TV, and internet for the weekend.

Rhosyn
19-10-2005, 11:05
I travel on Thursday also, just my luck

CERICROWLEY
19-10-2005, 11:20
Me too traveling on Thursday. Which airport?

E. Cosgrove
19-10-2005, 12:16
Have fun all of you going this weekend my sister goes Fri so we have been watching the weather, forgetting about Wilma the weather looks great for next week so don't forget the sunscreen[8D][8D][msnwink]

chrizzy100
19-10-2005, 18:32
They think that this storm has probably the lowest minimum pressure ever observed in the Atlantic .....its losing its eyewall....and replacment will weaken it......its still on track for South FL.......its is a Cat 5 at sea........

chrizzy100
19-10-2005, 18:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rhosyn
I travel on Thursday also, just my luck
[/quote]

You should be OK to get there........its not getting to FL until Sunday......

Ian Dee
20-10-2005, 02:40
anyone know where I can get longitude & latitude figures so I can chceck where WE are in relation to the hurricane web site[:O]

thumpertwinkle
20-10-2005, 03:06
I don't really think I want to arrive on Saturday evening to be greeted by Wilma on Sunday[msnscared]

Which is the best website to view its projected path and strength?

Also, what do we do if we get there and it strikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thumpertwinkle
20-10-2005, 03:35
I may come across as stupid here but can someone please tell me what all this means:

Traveling on October 20 – October 24:
(with tickets purchased on or before October 19)
To and from the following cities:
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Myers, FL
Miami, FL
Orlando, FL
Tampa, FL
West Palm Beach, FL

Summary of reaccommodation policy changes

All United®, United Express®, TedSM and United code-share flights are covered under the policy.
For customers currently en route who would like to adjust a return trip: Rules and restrictions regarding standard change fees, advance purchase, day or time applications, and/or minimum stay or Saturday night-stay requirements have been waived.
For customers who have not begun travel: You may make one change to your travel plans without change fees or advance purchase requirement for the same itinerary. For a new itinerary, you may make one change without change fees. Rescheduled travel may be subject to higher fares if it does not meet original rule and booking codes restrictions or is a new itinerary.
Only customers with already cancelled flights are eligible for a full refund.
Changes must be made by midnight of your original travel date.
To change your reservation, please contact United at 1-800-United-1 or your travel agency.

United will continue to monitor the situation and adjust ticketing policies as necessary.

chrizzy100
20-10-2005, 03:43
I don't really think I want to arrive on Saturday evening to be greeted by Wilma on Sunday[msnscared]

Which is the best website to view its projected path and strength?

Also, what do we do if we get there and it strikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Go to NOAA....

thumpertwinkle
20-10-2005, 03:48
sorry but what is NOAA?

thumpertwinkle
20-10-2005, 03:49
searched on google, found it, thanks

chrizzy100
20-10-2005, 06:12
[/quote]

Sorry...I should of given more info.......glad you found it OK.....

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2005, 12:00
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ is the official site for all news on hurricanes, including the very latest predictions. This is the ONLY official source of information on them.

LiesaAnna
20-10-2005, 18:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

[/quote]

chrizzy your avatar looks like Brighton promenade!!!
do you know where your piccie is of????

chrizzy100
20-10-2005, 18:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

[/quote]

chrizzy your avatar looks like Brighton promenade!!!
do you know where your piccie is of????
[/quote]

I don't know where it is......sorry.......[msnsad]

ravtino
20-10-2005, 18:58
Chrizzy feel just like your avatar!!!!!

Jo
20-10-2005, 21:39
Liesa , I know Brighton well too - grew up in Newhaven.
That is definitely Brighton with railings of that design and colour.

I too feel like that little man - although I seem to get put down further back!

ravtino
20-10-2005, 22:46
Well Jo you know the saying one forward two back!!!:D

21-10-2005, 12:36
Heres the latest.....

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mach 2/2005102183611_024553W_sm.gif

brizzle
21-10-2005, 16:13
Noaa.gov has it moving along a little slower moving now.
Here's hoping it stays on the more southern side of the predicted route...

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Brizzle/2005102112116_wilma.gif

Any slower and I'll be having a nice drive from MCO (if I indeed fly at all) on Wednesday [msneek].

Ian Dee
21-10-2005, 16:38
just had a call from guests going out Saturday - will it be OK.
Advised them they should be OK for the flight and may get winds on Monday/
Also said that their Weather Channel is the biggest hype on TV and that whilst there should be concern, its nowhere near what is seen on TV whiich allwyas show the worst and on a beach somewhere

Ian Dee
22-10-2005, 03:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ian Dee
anyone know where I can get longitude & latitude figures so I can chceck where WE are in relation to the hurricane web site[:O]
[/quote]
well Ian Dee the answer is

Davenport, FL (US): 28n10, 81w36, Florida
thanks

Semper
22-10-2005, 05:41
If it should cut a swathe through Orlando where would we stand if we cancelled the holiday? (we fly out in two weeks)

Some reports are saying there are further depressions forming in the Atlantic :(

Worrying times. It's only a holiday for us, Our thoughts are for the people who live in the region' Lets hope it goes well south of Miami or burns it's self out before it makes landfall.

chrizzy100
22-10-2005, 07:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Semper
If it should cut a swathe through Orlando where would we stand if we cancelled the holiday? (we fly out in two weeks)

Some reports are saying there are further depressions forming in the Atlantic :(

Worrying times. It's only a holiday for us, Our thoughts are for the people who live in the region' Lets hope it goes well south of Miami or burns it's self out before it makes landfall.
[/quote]

Even if it hit Orlando..you'd be OK in two weeks.....there are always depressions in the Atlantic all through the season......sometime 3 or more a day.......that really means nothing.....don't worry to much.......

23-10-2005, 13:44
Just seen the news they are evacuating some areas around Fort Myers, its due to hit around sunrise Monday morning US time. Even if its now a cat 2/3 it is still serious and Wilma has caused extensive damage in Cancun.

Its the worst hurricane season on record[msnsad]

I feel so sorry for the state of Florida and just hope all are safe after Wilma passes through[grouphug]

Jo
23-10-2005, 18:02
Wilma is down to a category 2 already , and still a while til it gets to Florida, so it could weaken further.

23-10-2005, 21:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jo
Wilma is down to a category 2 already , and still a while til it gets to Florida, so it could weaken further.
[/quote]

Here is the latest (an hour ago) Jo.......

Wilma Picks Up Speed, Heads for Florida

Hurricane Wilma was headed toward Florida on Sunday and expected to pick up speed "like a rocket," and thousands of residents had been ordered to evacuate.

The southern half of Florida's peninsula was under a hurricane warning Sunday in anticipation of Wilma, a Category 2 storm with 100 mph sustained wind. Although still far from the state, Wilma's outer bands of rain had already caused street flooding in South Florida.

Tropical storm-force wind was expected to begin lashing the state late Sunday and meteorologists said the heart of the storm was expected to roar across the state Monday.

"The time of preparing is rapidly moving into time of action as people are evacuating," Florida emergency management director Craig Fugate said.

About 850 people had registered Sunday at a Red Cross shelter in Germain Arena in Fort Myers, with some pitching tents and setting out mats on the still-melting ice where the Florida Everblades minor league hockey team plays.

"I'm just doing a lot of praying that things will work out," said David Bright, 48. "I'm born and raised right here in Fort Myers, Fla., and just know you don't play with (hurricanes)."

Wilma had been joined by Tropical Storm Alpha, which formed south Saturday off the Dominican Republic as the record 22nd named storm for the Atlantic season. It was the first time forecasters exhausted the regular list of names and had to turn to the Greek alphabet for labels in almost 60 years of naming storms. The previous record of 21 tropical storms and hurricanes had stood since 1933.

By 11 a.m. EDT on Sunday, Wilma had maximum sustained wind near 100 mph. It was centered about 285 miles west-southwest of Key West and was moving toward the northeast at about 8 mph. Hurricane-force wind of at least 74 mph extended up to 70 miles out from the center and wind blowing at tropical storm-force reached outward up to 200 miles, the hurricane center said.

Hurricane center director Max Mayfield predicted Wilma would dramatically pick up speed later Sunday and its top wind speed would increase.

Macka
24-10-2005, 11:59
Wilma is now a category 3 storm, expected to make landfall south of fort Myers, and possibly Marco Island, the bulk of the storm will be over the everglades which is a blessing due to the low population density the further south you go.

Fingers crossed for everyone.

24-10-2005, 12:02
GMTV is coming live from Fort Myers this morning, lots of live coverage[msnsad]

It reminds me of last year when we were out there for Charley[msnsad]

Tornadoes are also a problem now too.

It is due to exit the state around Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Foreign Office Info Line 0207 008 0000

djdigitald
24-10-2005, 12:59
Disney is to close Monday

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_weather_hurricane/2005/10/disney_to_close.html#more

Macka
24-10-2005, 13:03
I wonder How Sandra got on? (Thumpertwinkle) they were leaving on Saturday. If you get online Sandra, let us know how you are?[msnwink]

24-10-2005, 13:11
If anyonw wants to tune in to baynews 9 @ work heres the link........

http://www.baynews9.com/BN9_Work.html

Its a TV news station but you can hear all the chat and up to date info on what's happening over there.

Macka
24-10-2005, 19:22
It looks like the worst is over, Wilma ame ashore 20 miles south of naples and dropped from cat 3 to 2 by the time it was mid state, it's exiting Florida on the East coat around Fort Lauderdale.

I hope everyone's relatives, friends and property are all ok, but particularly all the restautants in and around Rotunda as that's where I'm off on me jollies in March.:D

julieanne
24-10-2005, 19:55
Macka - I'm off to the Gulf Coast on Saturday so I hope they don't wait till March to get everywhere up and running again [msnscared] [msnoo]

kitty
24-10-2005, 20:06
I hope everyone who lives and has property there are all okay.Keeping fingers crossed not too much damage around

Macka
24-10-2005, 20:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
Macka - I'm off to the Gulf Coast on Saturday so I hope they don't wait till March to get everywhere up and running again [msnscared] [msnoo]
[/quote]

I'm sure evrything will be fine Julie, where about are you off to?

julieanne
24-10-2005, 20:24
Sarasota :D [msncool] [clap]
I'm excited [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
24-10-2005, 21:00
lucky girl, but i am coming to arent i Julie? cos we have made arrangements for me to go in her bag!!! WE HAVE..............:D

Macka
24-10-2005, 21:21
Sarasota :D [msncool] [clap]
I'm excited [msnwink]
[/quote]

I love Sarasota, been to Siesta key 3 times now. Aahhh you lucky lucky girl.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

25-10-2005, 10:35
Another one over with, many without power and the clean up begins, again! Poor Florida[msnsad]

dbrook
25-10-2005, 11:15
Macka, Sandra (Thumpertwinkle) is fine, apart from a tummy bug! She is staying in my villa. She reported wet and windy yesterday afternoon when I called her but no damage and hopefully today if she feels well enough she will get some sunshine ;)

Macka
25-10-2005, 11:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dbrook
Macka, Sandra (Thumpertwinkle) is fine, apart from a tummy bug! She is staying in my villa. She reported wet and windy yesterday afternoon when I called her but no damage and hopefully today if she feels well enough she will get some sunshine ;)
[/quote]

Excellent news Dianne, thanks for letting us know.[msnsmile2]

julieanne
25-10-2005, 13:17
lucky girl, but i am coming to arent i Julie? cos we have made arrangements for me to go in her bag!!! WE HAVE..............:D
[/quote]

Yes Liesa we have [msnwink]

Macka I love Siesta Key too [8D]
Just hoping it has not suffered too much [msnsad]

Macka
25-10-2005, 13:54
[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed, it's very low lying even for Florida, so although I don't think winds will have been a major problem with it being so far north, the storm surge could have been, I'll contact my pals there and see how they got on. Let you know.

jen
25-10-2005, 16:12
Well we were here in the Disney area and basically apart from a lot of rain and wind it wasn't all that different to rainy day in the UK.
I know it hit harder in southern florida but really nothing of note around Disney although a couple of very small tornadoes.

We were here for Charlie last year and again I think people go over the top with the reporting and wip up a frenzy that on the whole isn't really necessary. The USA is a big place and so is Florida by mid afternoon yesterday the sun was shining and the evening had a wonderful sunset and everyone was going about their business as usual.

Yes there are folk not so fortunate and I really do feel for them but don't take all the news as real.

Jen

andrewmckay5
25-10-2005, 16:55
My neighbour in Rotonda( about 50 minutes drive south of Sarasota) has said there was a lot of rain and some "gusty" winds, no power cuts or damage; nothing to horrendous atall.

As you say Jen the media (especially GMTV)really do sensationalise things and are guilty of scare mongering.

andrew

julieanne
25-10-2005, 16:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed, it's very low lying even for Florida, so although I don't think winds will have been a major problem with it being so far north, the storm surge could have been, I'll contact my pals there and see how they got on. Let you know.
[/quote]

Macka - it would be good to hear what someone who is there has to report, thanks.

25-10-2005, 17:58
I was out there last year during charley and I have to say at the peak it was quite frightening (and I don't scare easy), but the worst was the aftermath (tornadoes) and being without power, the villa took on a whole different atmosphere without power, no air con was the worst - most unpleasant.

I don't think GMTV sensationalised it at all, the reporter just filmed what happened from her position in Fort Myers.

I have been going to Florida since 1983 most years and mostly always in hurricane season, but as we are in the middle of a hurrincane cycle (ie more hurricanes than normal) and will be for some time to come I am re thinking the time of year that I travel.

julieanne
25-10-2005, 18:16
I've been through about 5 hurricanes, mostly on the Gulf Coast and Jeanne in Orlando last year.

I think each one is so different - and obviously it makes a difference how close you are to the centre of the storm.

Jeanne was by far the most scary for me - and a little exciting at the same time. But we were so fortunate that we only lost power for a very short time.

Had lots of cleaning up to do though [msneek]

Have often been down in Sarasota when the roads to Siesta Key and St Armands have been closed for our entire stay - hoping that isn't the case this time [msnscared]

dawn
25-10-2005, 18:50
We were in Florida last year for Charley house hunting. The hurricane blew through at a fairly fast rate and we were without power for a number of days. However as all the parks, restaurants etc were open again almost immediately it didn't bother us too much, and made the most of our holiday out and about.
We were lucky enough to spend 5 weeks at our home in the summer, in the 'peak' hurricane season, so thought we might get caught again. However all we had was glorious sunshine with the few odd shower to cool us down, I'm glad we didn't let Charley put us off.
Our holidays are dictated mostly by school holidays, so I hope to go again for a number of weeks next summer, and fingers crossed we will have wonderful weather again, and if not, we will just make the most of it as we did before and have a wonderful time[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
25-10-2005, 19:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
I was out there last year during charley and I have to say at the peak it was quite frightening (and I don't scare easy), but the worst was the aftermath (tornadoes) and being without power, the villa took on a whole different atmosphere without power, no air con was the worst - most unpleasant.

I don't think GMTV sensationalised it at all, the reporter just filmed what happened from her position in Fort Myers.

I have been going to Florida since 1983 most years and mostly always in hurricane season, but as we are in the middle of a hurrincane cycle (ie more hurricanes than normal) and will be for some time to come I am re thinking the time of year that I travel.
[/quote]

I live with high winds from October till April on Cape cod... nor'easters..they last about a week..50 mile an hour winds...and hurricane from june till Nov....lucky just the tail end of them so far.....and I must say I still find the storms scary at times.............we only have 35 mile an hour winds here now with gusts to 60.........and its been like that now for around 3 weeks on and off........its like living in a wind tunnel.....
I do believe that they make more of a storm then is needed sometimes.....and Orlando is inland.........but the danger from twisters can be very real....so can flooding....

Semper
26-10-2005, 12:52
Glad to hear Orlando escaped relatively unharmed. Apparently there was a power cut at Sea-world and some tables and chairs were blown over on International Drive, as reported on Fox!!

Any new on Busch Gardens as it is further south?

CarolAnn
30-10-2005, 01:09
Just got back today, and lived through Wilma absolutely fine! It poured with rain for about an hour last Sunday evening, by the time we came out of Cracker Barrel on H27 it had stopped. Went to bed, and on Monday when we woke, it was heavy rain,and quite gusty, but the kids next door to us were in the pool the whole morning!!! By mid day on the Monday, the sun was out the sky was clear crisp blue, though I found it cooler than it had been, it was about 70 ish and a cool breeze. I was amazed at the reports on the tv at how bad some of the keys had been affected. But, the H27 came through it completely fine! Daft folk had left out bins on Sunday night, so few of them laying around, but that was about all I am pleased to say..btw, it was absolutely glorious after Mondays cool down!!! Would go back in an instant[8D]

domster
30-10-2005, 12:45
Nice to hear Carol. Seemed to be 100 miles away they got the full force of the storm.

Playing in the pool during a hurricance, now that is a great thing to tell mates at school. how cool will those kids be.