14-10-2005, 03:31
How can a laptop be powered on a long flight
do all airlines offer this or just bigger airlines
is it the power lead from the laptop to the charger / transformer that is used

thanks
bushbaby

Robert5988
14-10-2005, 05:57
The laptop is powered by a DC voltage - not 110/240v AC - the same as a car adapter.

There is no standard for the supply of this voltage, either by airline or type of plane.
Most(not all) of business/first class seats have a power outlet. In cattle class it varies and there are usually some seats with an outlet. If you look at the seating plan for the aircraft on-line it usually shows which seats have them. Do not assume that all aircraft are the same however; e.g. the Continental 757 does not have them, the AA 757 does.

chrisflowers
14-10-2005, 10:49
The air standard is called Empower and cables for your laptop are widely available, with an extra adapter for in-car use.
Kensington are one supplier that make them.

Robert is correct that the 757s do not currently have the sockets, but Continental have told me that the tranatlantic versions will all have empower sockets and updated entertainment systems very soon, as the planes are upgraded.

pieman790
14-10-2005, 11:09
We flew US Airways last year and all there planes have it even in the back. BMI only have it in Business class but American have it on some planes even in the back

Robert5988
14-10-2005, 15:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:There is no standard for the supply of this voltage, either by airline or type of plane.[/quote]

I could have phrased that better!

What I meant was the availablility of power outlets by airline or plane - not the voltage and type of adapter required.