PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket in Orlando

chrisjohnston01
29-05-2003, 18:10
What happens if I get stopped by the police for speeding in Orlando? I have a british license, do i just get a fine?

If so how much is that likely to be and are there any tips on what to watch out for??

I am going over to orlando at the end of next month to work for 6 weeks & i'm quite worried that I end up with a pile of fines in my Luxury gas Guzzler

Thanks Guys

steph_goodrum
29-05-2003, 18:22
Best advice is look at the speed limits and stay under them. They are there for a reason. Better an hour late in this life than an hour early in the next!:)
Wherever there are roadworkers present there will be a Sheriffs car stationed and speeding fines are doubled, to help keep the workforce safe.

blott
29-05-2003, 18:57
First tip is to stay in your car and let the officer come to you. Also carry your driving licence and rental documents at all times. The Highway Patrol can issue on the spot fines and use radar quite a bit from concealed places. Fines depend on what you've done wrong but I think speeding fines are something like $80. Also note that on some roads there are minimum speed restrictions and that school entrance speed limits are usually strictly enforced (you'll often find a patrol car and officer stationed outside schools at strategic times).

There was also a thread on here earlier in the week about traffic cops disguised as vagrants. Also, The Times the other day had an article about cops in McDonald's drive throughs, pretending to be staff, and checking on child seat and seat belt usage! So, watch out, they have ways of catching up with you!

florida4sun
30-05-2003, 02:23
All depends on how fast you are going. Twice the limit and your in handcuffs. Fines start at around $100. If you build a few up you could be banned. You must pay the fine or expect problems down the line. I ahve been ticketed a couple of times, over here they are very tight on speeding. I generally drive much slower than I did in the UK.

quote:Originally posted by chrisjohnston01

What happens if I get stopped by the police for speeding in Orlando? I have a british license, do i just get a fine?

If so how much is that likely to be and are there any tips on what to watch out for??

I am going over to orlando at the end of next month to work for 6 weeks & i'm quite worried that I end up with a pile of fines in my Luxury gas Guzzler

Thanks Guys

K4LGB
30-05-2003, 16:35
Whilst I had the "pleasure" of standing at the Dollar desk for 1.5hrs whilst they found me a SUV during my last visit, one of the people who came and went during my extended stand had received a parking ticket.
It appears that you need to go to an official County Building to pay the fine (which may not be easy to find if you are not local). It appeared that the fines go up the longer you take to pay them so when Dollar offer to pay them on his behalf they took the highest quoted amount on the back of the parking ticket to allow the payment to go through the Dollar "fines payment process".

Lesson seemed to be that if you do get caught pay it pronto and don't leave it until you are on your way out of the country! I would imagine you could get blacklisted by the hire company if you leave a parking ticket unpaid and they land up having to settle it!

I would also presume with an unpaid speeding ticket you would probably get arrested if you ever happened to get stopped again on a subsequent trip!

Cheers
Les

blott
30-05-2003, 16:47
Any fines are your responsibility and not that of the car rental company (it says that in the small print on the back of your rental agreement) so I'm surprised that Dollar offered to pay it on the renter's behalf although not surprised that they charged extra to do so!

It should be noted that outstanding fines, convictions made in your absence, etc all appear on the INS immigration system so that the next time you try to enter the US, you may find you have difficulties. I'll try and find the official reference to this and post it here.

OK, this is on the American Embassy website...

Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified. If the traffic offense occurred while you were in the United States, and you have an outstanding fine against you or your did not attend your court hearing, it is possible there may be a warrant out for your arrest, and you will experience problems when applying for admission into the U.S. Therefore you should resolve the issue before traveling by contacting the court where you were to appear. If you do not know the address of the court then information is available from the Internet at: www.refdesk.com

chrizzy100
31-05-2003, 05:39
It really is best not to speed....and no rolling stops at stop signs....really come to a stop..look then pull off....:)