PDA

View Full Version : Car seats in hire cars

millie
29-05-2003, 03:51
There is a lot of chat on here about car seats in hire cars which is making me think of taking my own. We are travelling with virgin and have a dollar car (i think). We have the insurance where car seats are included so we do not need to pay extra for it.
Does anyone have experience with dollar car seats? Is it worth taking our own or taking our chances with the rental company? If we are not happy are they good about offering a different seat?

Thanks!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-05-2003, 13:11
Hi Millie

From my personal experience I did not like the car seat that we were given when we first went with my son but that was 4 1/2 years ago now. There was only one type on offer so couldn't request an "upgrade". Since then we have taken our own. This does provide peace of mind and you know that only your child has sat in it and that it has not been involved in an accident.
Additionally your child will be familiar with the seat and that they are comfortable in it. When you get the rental car you are told how to fix the car seat in but the staff will not carry out this function in case there are any subsequent laibility issues. Some of the Town & Country people carriers have built in seats but as stated above, I have always chosen to stick with what I'm happy and the children are happy with.

The downside is obviously that seats are bulky to transport.

Sarah

sunseeker
31-05-2003, 19:28
We also had a child seat from dollar, it looked very second hand and i very much doubt if it would have done its job if we were ever in an accident. We take our own now, we atleast know the seats history.