PDA

View Full Version : security deposits

rebekah.g
07-10-2005, 21:08
Hi everyone. I hope no one has been unfortunate to suffer as we have had. With out the help of the management team over in florida we would be in a worse state. We have been back from florida now 6weeks and were told our security deposit would be returned two weeks later. Still not received it back after so many emails, calls letters and having to now threaten with legal action. You would think why do this. They know no further business would come their way. Sadly they dont seem to care. The management team has though been great and even though its not their problem they are wanting it sorted out as it could reflect on their good reputation. I wonder if anyone has ever had this problem before getting their money back. I would welcome anyone comments on this and advice.

thank you rebekah and kevin

Big Mack
07-10-2005, 21:14
Rebekah, thats terrible. Have they given you any reason for witholding it or are they simply ignoring you?
Good to hear that the managment company are willing too help though.

I am sure someone will be along with some sound advice.

Mack

rebekah.g
07-10-2005, 22:23
There is no reason why they havent sent it. I mean the management team said the villa was left in a good condition. Apparently other people have had problems getting their money back themselves. Whether or not they received the money back in the end I am not sure. Needless to say its not the way to conduct business. Due to this its it making me hesitant booking another villa and having to pay the security deposit on the off chance it may just happen again.

Paula D-S
07-10-2005, 23:07
Hi Rebekah,

Firstly I hope you had a great holiday.

I'm sure I speak for the majority of villa owners when I say we refund security deposits as soon as we have had the OK from our MCs. Mine are normally sent within a week of the guests returning home.
Firstly I would email them, then I would telephone and if that got me nowhere I would send a request for the refund by special or recorded delivery.

Also check the terms and conditions of booking, ours states refunds within 21 days.

Please don't judge us all in the same boat as this owner. You must also know we HAVE to charge security deposits, it wouldn't make any sense if we didn't.

Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon.

Paula

huckleberry house
07-10-2005, 23:24
Hi Rebekah

Was this a private owner you booked with direct or a management/booking agent ?

Lesley

Cruella DeVilla
08-10-2005, 00:09
Rebekah,

Around a month is the normal period for returning security deposists and this is normally found in the T&C. I send around the 2 week period once we have had the all clear from the MC and no excessive utility bills have been raised.

Hopefully you will get all this sorted out soon.

dawn
08-10-2005, 00:45
Hi Rebekah,

So sorry to hear you have had this trouble with your security deposit return and hope it has not marred your holiday memories. I do hope you get it sorted out soon - I know how you were looking forward to your villa experience.

As Paula says, please do not think all owners are the same, as you rightly point out we all hope that our guests will return, so it is in our interests to ensure the whole experience is a positive one.

Good luck and hope this is resolved for you soon. Let us know how you get on.
Dawn

E. Cosgrove
08-10-2005, 00:50
Hi Rebekah, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Did you book through one of the above sites?
if you did I am sure John and Roger would be keen to know of your problem.

summerset
08-10-2005, 02:32
Hi Rebekah,

we refund the security deposit as soon as possible following the Man Co letting us know the state of the villa, usually within 2 weeks & we itemise any deductions

Unfortunately another case of a villa owner doing himself .. and others, no favours

Rob

rebekah.g
09-10-2005, 00:32
Thank you everyone. We did have a lovely holiday but yes it some way it a put a dark cloud on our experiences. I only wish I had booked through one of these sites. I cant mention the company on this reply but if anyone would care to know please dm me as someone as already. The website though is no longer on the web currently being altered which I very much doubt. The mc have been brilliant and are eager for this to be sorted out as it reflects on them. They may be cancelling the contract it this isnt sorted. The couple own the villa on kildrummy drive in the sanctuary. beautiful villa shame about the owners...whom have never been to look at their villa in the 2 years they have owned the villa. I would never treat any guests this way. Im not bragging but I left the villa in a brilliant condition. It is the way I am. Too tired for my own good sometimes. The mc were very satisfied with the villa.

thank you once again for your responses
rebekah and kevin

ctgirlscout
09-10-2005, 03:22
It seems unusual that the owners have never been to their own villa!

DeeDee
09-10-2005, 03:24
[msnsad]So sorry to read about the problems getting your security deposit back.It does mar your stay (unfortunately) and makes you a little more leary when this kind of thing happens.
[msnembarrased]Don't let it deter you from renting from private owners.Most of them are great! Trying really hard to please...
When I rent now I look for owners that either take a credit card swipe or just use the credit card number you give them to pay for the reservation for Security purposes.Which is fine.Because then you can dispute any charges that are made with the Credit Card Company.
Certainly a more secure way to go.
Hope everything works out for you.
Is it possible the owner is on vacation? Or away and did not even remember to send it back to you?
Good Luck to you,
Debbie

Paula D-S
16-10-2005, 19:48
Any update yet Rebekah?

LiesaAnna
16-10-2005, 23:42
we had to pay when we arrived at the villa we stayed in, not what we were used to, and we were only asked for a credit card imprint and nothing out of it, and when we handed the keys in we were told there and then no money would be taken out :D

so sorry to hear of your problems hope it gets sorted soon

Ray&Sarah
17-10-2005, 20:18
Sorry to hear about your problems in getting your security deposit back, have you managed to get it back yet rebekah.

chrisflowers
17-10-2005, 23:47
I am embarassed for all the rest of us owners in The Sanctuary as this person/owner is giving us all a bad name.

I will write personally to the owners to make a point. I know their address while doing some searching regarding our HOA.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-10-2005, 00:07
That maybe so but it still would not stop the owner pursuing you for damages in the Small Claims Court if you had damaged their villa and cost them money to put the damage right.

Like anything else, renting a villa requires a bit of give and take on both sides - yes you are leaving a security deposit with an owner but in turn they are trusting you to look after their house worth $300,000+. There is trust on both sides and rightly so.

99.99% of guests treat the homes as if they were their own but unfortunately there are a very small minority that do not and the owner has to have some security that guests who abuse homes can be expected to put their damage right. It's not as if this minority of bad guests are not aware of the reason for the security deposit so they have no excuse.

Guests have a responsibility to look after the villa they stay in or face up to their actions. Suggesting to people ways of trying to avoid this responsibility is not what I would expect from a guest.

I understand you had an issue with the owner you rented and the security deposit which I could not comment on as I am not in receipt of the full facts, but please do not leave others with the impression that keeping a security deposit is a frequent thing or advise them how to try and avoid paying for any damage made to the villa.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DeeDee
[msnsad]When I rent now I look for owners that either take a credit card swipe or just use the credit card number you give them to pay for the reservation for Security purposes.Which is fine.Because then you can dispute any charges that are made with the Credit Card Company.
[/quote]

ellie
18-10-2005, 00:35
You are so right, John. Renting a villa is quite unique because both the villa owner and the guest must have trust in each other. We all try to make our guests' vacations the very best ever, and we have been very lucky to have had delightful guests who have taken great care of our home - but, sadly, not everyone has been so lucky.

However, I am sure that nobody would expect the villa owner to pick up the tab if guests caused damage to the property during their stay.

Our home is thoroughly checked both before and after our guests arrive. This not only ensures that our home is perfect for our guests arrival but should any damage have occurred then it is obvious when it was done.

I am horrified that someone should actually choose a villa on the basis of the security deposit being taken by credit card, and then enter into a contract with a villa owner to use their beautiful home with the idea that this way they could dispute any charges.

benfilo
18-10-2005, 03:03
What this owner has done is wrong and has to be very rare. Owners rely on personal reccomendations as well as repeat bookings, so I don't think anyone should worry about leaving a security deposit however it is paid.

Macka
18-10-2005, 12:54
Folks I don't think Deedee was suggesting that she is trying to avoid a legitimate charge.

I believe that she inferred that there are a few methods of owners dealing with security deposits. such as Cash deposits Credit card imprints in advance etc. Deedee prefers to have the owner take a credit card imprint or card number, rather than taking cash in advance, so do I. If you are on a budget, 200 pounds is a lot of money to pay out on top of your holiday cost. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your decision as to which villa to choose being partly based on deposit method, even though I wouldn't myself, it's a matter of choice. If you cause damage then the owner can take the cost from the card, what's the problem? If the renter disagrees with the charge, and we've seen examples of this on the site, then the renter has the security of being able to take the issue up with the credit card company. where's the problem here?

This year, rather than pay a security deposit, the villa hire company insist I take out their damage waiver insurance. It's not expensive and although I thought it rather cheeky at the time, after thinking about it, it's not a bad idea as it gives peace of mind to the owner, renter and MC.

I don't believe anyone looks after rented homes better than me and Beverley, they are usually cleaner when we leave, however accidents do happen, and no-one here objects to paying for damage, but it's rather unfair to criticise an individual for choosing an option that is offered by some owners.

Cruella DeVilla
18-10-2005, 13:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka

If you cause damage then the owner can take the cost from the card, what's the problem? If the renter disagrees with the charge, and we've seen examples of this on the site, then the renter has the security of being able to take the issue up with the credit card company. where's the problem here?

[/quote]

Possibly Macka some unscrupulous guests might just challenge for the hell of it. Most of this type of guests deny the damage when it is evident that they have caused it. So they damage the property and get the deposit back, it then causes mega problems for the owner trying to get it back through the Small claims Court.

Macka
18-10-2005, 13:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka

If you cause damage then the owner can take the cost from the card, what's the problem? If the renter disagrees with the charge, and we've seen examples of this on the site, then the renter has the security of being able to take the issue up with the credit card company. where's the problem here?

[/quote]

Possibly Macka some unscrupulous guests might just challenge for the hell of it. Most of this type of guests deny the damage when it is evident that they have caused it. So they damage the property and get the deposit back, it then causes mega problems for the owner trying to get it back through the Small claims Court.

[/quote]
Then let's have damage waiver insurance. It works for car hire.

Fran19
18-10-2005, 13:22
We had to chase to get our security deposit back this year too. In the end we had to e-mail the co-owners (not the people we had dealt with throughout) and they sent the cheque back straight away. We left the villa in perfect condition, washed all towels, sheets etc., put rubbish in tied bin bags in the dustbins, tidied up, washed and cleaned up but obviously it was not appreciated. When I e-mailed the owners regarding the deposit cheque, I didn't get a reply to that question but they answered the other questions in the e-mails!!!!! Can't understand people myself, you would have thought they would be only too pleased to have had someone who looks after their home and make sure they refund the cheque. Obviously they thought they wouldn't get repeat bookings as we had bought one ourselves this year - doesn't stop us recommending (or not) to other people!! Will be making sure I don't do the same when we book out!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-10-2005, 14:39
I'd just like to get this thread back into perspective - it is a very rare occasion that damage is caused to villas and ever rarer that a security deposit is withheld. I know as an owner I've taken smaller breakages on the chin even when it was patently obvious the last guests caused the damage.

I'm sure we will get anyone who has ever had a problem with security deposits posting here but will not get the overwhelming majority who have had no problem at all posting. Please bear this in mind when reading the thread as the last thing we want is people getting the wrong impression about security deposits.

Macka: the insurance option is not a good one as the owner then has even more hassle convincing the insurance company of the damage and the need for a claim and their premiums are likely to go up as a result of a claim which costs the owner money through no fault of their own.

My villas are my pension fund and as an owner I'm going to make sure I protect this, the same as you would with any other form of pension. I do take security deposits by credit card off US guests but if I thought for a minute they were doing it on the credit card with a view to fraudulently claiming it back after they had caused damage to my beautiful homes then I would never accept the booking.

Anyway, enough of this doom and gloom - we've had some fabulous guests and will continue to do so in the future and as long as there is a bit of give and take on both sides, everyone will be happy and the guests will have a fantastic stay in a beautiful luxurious Florida villa [msnsmile].

Macka
18-10-2005, 14:59
Indeed. It's easy to get bogged down with the odd bad experience (I'm the worst for that) but as you say John, it's very rare.

rebekah.g
19-10-2005, 19:01
Hello everyone I would just like to clarify one point. Not everyone knows all the facts and should presume that the holidaymakers has indeed left any damage. In our case we left the villa in a beautiful condition and so much so the mc has documentation to that fact. I dont condone any visitor causing damage to the villa. If I was a owner myself I would indeed be most annoyed. I am referring to owners not paying back deposits and then to shut people up saying money is on the way to them when its false.

I would like to stress im sorry if this is causing some concern to owners with their reputations. I am only glad the owner isnt on this forum as I would be so nice about it. I am so annoyed with the way we have been treated. I certainly hope this gets sorted out. Its now a matter of principle. People save up for their holiday and look forward so much to it. The sad thing is we were having problems with this owner and didnt get the directions of the villa and codes till 1 day before. This owner is a disgrace.

rebekah

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-10-2005, 19:20
I don't think anyone is assuming anything about your own case as we obviously are not in receipt of the full facts. The comments I read are of a general nature and not aimed at you or anyone else.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rebekah.g
Hello everyone I would just like to clarify one point. Not everyone knows all the facts and should presume that the holidaymakers has indeed left any damage. In our case we left the villa in a beautiful condition and so much so the mc has documentation to that fact. I dont condone any visitor causing damage to the villa. If I was a owner myself I would indeed be most annoyed. I am referring to owners not paying back deposits and then to shut people up saying money is on the way to them when its false.

[/quote]

rebekah.g
03-11-2005, 14:15
Hi everyone

Just to let everyone know I finally received our cheque back with an apolology and a free week in the villa in the next two years. To be honest we really didnt think we would ever get it back. we are very pleased indeed. I cant quote the reason for the delay but to those who have helped me feel free to dm me.

Thank you all very much for all your kind messages and advice.

regards
Rebekah

Fourdents
03-11-2005, 14:32
Rebekah

I am so pleased that this matter has been resolved for you....and not before time !

Not a very pleasant experience, but I hope this has not "put you off" for future enjoyment.

Linda

Ruth
03-11-2005, 14:36
Rebekah, I am very glad you have received your cheque with an apology. I am sure stories like yours potentially scare guests from renting from private owners, but as your outcome has showed, we all work together to help guests who rent privately, and our guests have nothing to fear:)

LiesaAnna
03-11-2005, 15:17
well done Rebekah![clap][clap]
its a shame that it had to come to this! but hey glad its sorted!!
hope your going to take him up on his very generous offer? (shouldnt think he will ask for a security deposit?[msnwink] he will trust you am sure to take great care of his home)
fingers crossed!!

fiona
03-11-2005, 15:32
So pleased to hear the good news Rebekah, hopefully it was just an error on his part, and am glad to hear he is making a gesture. So it was worth making a fuss about then[clap]!

dawn
03-11-2005, 16:18
Well done Rebekah, am so pleased it worked out in the end with the correct outcome. [msnsmile2]

rebekah.g
03-11-2005, 19:03
Hi everyone and thank you all. I am pleased and just heard from my mc that she wrote to one on the owners and told them that I had been getting alot of advise from this forum. They said whether or not that caused some reaction they dont know, as she added it wont do your business any good and the forum members could make it difficult for you.

They did though say that the partner who wrote me the letter is the one that never had anything to do with the business and they may have spilt. At present they dont know.

Needless to say without all your help advise and kindness I wouldnt of coped. Its been a difficult time all around and with having a few health worries it mad things alot worse.

I am happier now and just hope the cheque doesnt bounce.[msnsmile][msnwink]

thank you all again
rebekah

LiesaAnna
03-11-2005, 19:43
am sure it wont Rebekah!![msnwink]

eagleydo
03-11-2005, 23:23
Pleased to hear the good news. I never received my deposit back after my first booking in 2000(owner just promised and never got round to it, after six months I just chalked it down to experience)Sites like these are the best to book through, I have discovered, owners that are approachable and open to discussion are always the best to book with.I personally always tell others who wish to book a villa to look here or on a similar site. Hats off to the owners here!

Paula D-S
04-11-2005, 01:25
I'm so glad you got this sorted out Rebekah, they say patience is a virtue.
Incidents like this a probably very few and far between. I would certainly take them up on their offer though.......why not?

Cruella DeVilla
04-11-2005, 18:22
Good for you Rebekah.

ravtino
06-11-2005, 03:11
Glad you got it sorted, hope it hasen't put you off, there are some great villas/owners out there.:D

rebekah.g
16-11-2005, 17:06
Hi Everyone

I must be the the most unlucky person at moment. well you all remember me saying we got the cheque back and thought great. Well its not that the cheque had bounced but the bank have now lost it so its going through the complains procedure.

To be honest we did think everything would be ok as we have been in contact with the owner recently. we have their new number and new details. If it wasnt going to clear we wouldnt of heard a thing.

When I was speaking to the complaints dept this morning they we very surprised that the branch havent been in touch. Very bad practice indeed.

We are so glad we kept the receipt. You never know when the bank credit our account we may get some compensation and just may be able to fly back to florida. Yeah that wishful thinking. Just thought I would let you know what the update as I know i few of you were eager to see the final result.

bye

chrisflowers
16-11-2005, 17:42
Oh Rebekah, not another episode to this sorry saga!

LiesaAnna
16-11-2005, 18:30
Rebekah am so sorry to hear this!!!

:(

rebekah.g
16-11-2005, 19:58
Would you believe it the bank complaint dept rang and were very apologetic. apparently the cashier should of know the account I was putting it in to couldnt be directly credited over the counter. The funds should of been credited to another account of ours and then transferred due to the account being a online account. They were not happy the cashier didnt know this and due to all this problem and system wouldnt accept it. It was found by a dudley employee in the system network and they are crediting our account.

so finally I get our money back.

All sorted and now this subject is closed.

chrisflowers
16-11-2005, 20:01
Well done Rebekah

rebekah.g
16-11-2005, 20:01
So a happy ending to this tail. I should of added this just then but pressed wrong button.

So off to read the rest of the forum for today.[msnsmile2]

Rebekah

ravtino
18-11-2005, 22:31
I am so glad things have worked out for you, take them up on there offer, its what you deseve after all the hassle.:D

LiesaAnna
19-11-2005, 02:54
very pleased for you Rebekah, we knew it would all turn out well didnt we?[msnwink]

Paula D-S
19-11-2005, 03:11
I'm happy this has finally been resolved for you. Maybe it's time to start planning your next trip[8D]

SunLover
19-11-2005, 15:35
[clap][clap][clap]

doriluz
05-02-2006, 21:13
I am just requiring credit card information to avoid those issues but I think that is risky to the owner too. What will happen if you need to charge it and it does not work![msncry] I just hope to never need to charge one.