PDA

View Full Version : Indirect flying

Fourdents
07-10-2005, 15:47
I have never taken an in-direct flight. Please can anyone tell me what is the easiest, best route to do for a 'first-timer' ?

What airline is the best to take with in-direct flights ?

Linda

wrpac00
07-10-2005, 15:52
In the past I have flown indirect with both Delta and US Airways, wasn't a lot of difference between the two of them to be honest.

djdigitald
07-10-2005, 15:57
I have flown Monarch to Maine and then down to Sanford which was fine.

07-10-2005, 15:57
I have done mix and match in the past Virgin/Continental, BA/Delta, I have to say I avoid it now but its personal choice[msnwink]

CERICROWLEY
07-10-2005, 15:58
We have flown indirect with Continental. only because they are now doing flights from Bristol to New York, and the onard flights to Orlando are every 2 hours or so. So if you are delayed, you can always catch the next one.

Time wise your could probably at another 2 to 3 hours on the journey from Bristol.

But with the flight prices at the moment there doesn't seem to much of a difference with flying from Bristol than Gatwick. But am I still checking.

We are going indrect in two weeks from Bristol and then a Direct flight in December. We only booked the direct flight at Xmas as we did not want to get stuck in New York if the weather turns bad. But in the summer would definetley do an indirect flight. so save the pennies

Macka
07-10-2005, 16:08
We've done indirect flights via Bangor, Gander, Atlanta and Chicago, I actually never minded them, they split up your flight time nicely. Great if you are a smoker! (i are not a smoker any more so I are not bothered).[^]

blott
07-10-2005, 16:12
We've done loads of indirect flights via Newark, Washington, Chicago, Atlanta, etc, etc! None of them were particularly awful (we got a hotel stopover in Chicago one year but that's another story and nothing to do with Chicago) and this next trip we're doing a changeover in Miami.

We find it nice having a bit of a break to stretch our legs and also get Immigration and Customs over with at the first airport so that we can just whiz off and collect our car at Orlando.

wilfy
07-10-2005, 17:05
I've done atlanta, cincanatti & washington and it does make a nice break. Also if you are lucky/unlucky to get bumped on the way back at the stop-over city , it does give time to have a brief explore of somewhere we wouldn't have considered before.

dcnurse
07-10-2005, 17:24
Although we have not done many, the indirect flight that we dont mind doing is with US Airways changing at Charlotte. All Immigration and Customs are done at Charlotte, which is much easier and quicker than MCO. When you reach Orlando you just collect your luggage and car and off you go[clap]

E. Cosgrove
07-10-2005, 17:39
We flew indirect for the first time at Easter. On this occasion we flew with US airways via Charlotte and couldn't believe how easy it was.
We have since flown to Miami via Frankfurt with Lufthansa, agin no problem at all.
I would always give it serious consideration now, especially if there was a bargain to be had.[msnwink]

CarolAnn
07-10-2005, 18:04
We are travelling Delta from Gatwick to Cincanatti,Tampa,outbound, then on inbound we are going, Tampa to Atlanta, Gatwick! Next week!! So will be able to let you know about that route soon.
We have been indirect before, Maine,Chicargo and Washington, as our stop offs!! It would be fair to say that we haven't done the indirect flying for a few years, but there are a number of things to consider. I doubt we would be doing the trip next week if we hadn't got such a good deal on the indirct flights for example! However, I would admit I would prefer to fly direct, but if the cost is an issue, I really think it is worth considering [msnsmile2]Just for the record, our preferred carrier Virgin, Flying direct at Easter, infact incurred a 3 hour delay[msnsad], so the overall flying time was more like an indirect schedule on that occasion anyway[msneek]

Clare R
07-10-2005, 20:37
The time saved depends on how close you live to your UK departure airport. I am 12 miles from Bristol airport so finding the new Continental service to Newark very handy. Also as others have mentioned all immigration and customs are done at the link airport which are generally quieter, when you get to your destination, pick up the luggage and walk.

Cincinatti is my favourite airport, have also done Dallas, Atlanta and Chicago. The benefits of a direct flight do not equate to all the time and hassle of getting to Heathrow or Gatwick and back.

Paula D-S
07-10-2005, 20:53
We have flew with Delta, AA and United.

We found the Delta flight good, seat back tvs and plenty of room. We changed over at Atlanta.

Flying direct for the first time next year.

Paula

Dopeysfriend
07-10-2005, 21:30
Last xmas we flew Newcastle, Heathrow, Washington, Tampa outbound. Inbound it was Tampa, Washington, Heathrow, Newcastle.

Everything okay going out but coming back was a different story. Plane was delayed from Tampa so missed the connection at Washington. We were put up in a hotel in Washington overnight. Flew out of Washington 9:00 the next morning which was New Years Eve. Arrived in Heathrow at 10:00pm. No more flights to Newcastle so had to hire a car to get us home. Saw in the new year at Newport Pagnell motorway service station and arrived home at 3 am New Years Day.

Oops forgot to mention. No luggage when we arrived at Heathrow. They had left it in Washington. It was delivered 4 days later.

Combination of US Airlines and BA.

Its the only time we have flown indirect. I don't think we'll do it again.

Katys Grandad
07-10-2005, 21:57
As I don't fly into Orlando and travel outbound from Manchester I don't have a choice. If I did choose to go into Orlando direct it would have to be Virgin and I'm not really a fan of theirs.

I must say that I have come to prefer breaking the journey for the reasons outlined by people above. We usually decline the transatlantic inflight food and have a more comfortable meal in the airport between flights. Food in a lot of US airports is pretty good and certainly better value than most of the offerings in the UK.

It's another case of personal preference and I might feel differently if I was travelling with young children.

caroline
07-10-2005, 23:15
We've only ever flown indirect to Florida - and touch wood never had a problem. Always flown United from Heathrow into either Washington or Chicago then onto either Orlando or Tampa - I prefer the Washinton route as the flight from Washington to Florida is around 2 hours whereas Chicago is about 3. It's really easy and lovely to just whizz out of the airport once you arrive in Florida.

pieman790
08-10-2005, 00:11
We always fly in-direct due to the cost envloved with traveling direct with Virgin. We have travelled many routes but have found the BMI route to be the best (Via Manchester). They have seat back TV's, Free drinks, and a decent sized leg room.
We had a 3 hour delay last time in Chicago due to a Thunder storm but was the only delay in 8 times using in-direct.

08-10-2005, 01:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
We always fly in-direct due to the cost envloved with traveling direct with Virgin. We have travelled many routes but have found the BMI route to be the best (Via Manchester). They have seat back TV's, Free drinks, and a decent sized leg room.
We had a 3 hour delay last time in Chicago due to a Thunder storm but was the only delay in 8 times using in-direct.
[/quote]

My husband uses Manchester-Chicago route with BMI a lot on business, he has never been delayed either way, he has travelled in all three cabin types - he loves the chef in business class as he makes what ever you want, and for breakfast even egg on toast[msnwink]

andrewandcarole
08-10-2005, 01:37
We often fly indirect and I have to say I prefer it! As our children are grown up we do appreciate the peace and quiet on the American carriers' indirect routes - the direct flights tend to be the ones that families use.

I'll probably get shot down for this comment! But been there - worn that T-shirt - and when you don't have young children of your own any more it is nice to travel without other peoples.

It is also nice to have a break to stretch your legs, arrive at Orlando having been through immigration, and last but not least - the price!!!

Carole

summerset
08-10-2005, 02:38
Have used United via Washington a few times .. no problems at all but allow a couple of hours between flights on the inward leg for immigration.
We were delayed leaving Orlando in August and the timings were tight but United held the Washington - London flight back .. mind you there were nearly 50 booked on it so it made commercial sense.

Am trying Continental from Bristol via Newark in a couple of weeks so will be able to compare but not expecting any problems. The cost savings generally make the extra 2 hrs or so bearable!

Rob

jovi
08-10-2005, 15:35
We flew indirect last May to Atlanta from manchester using Delta:( We had a very old plane, so that put me off abit plus rude staff, I am not a keen flyer so indirect flights I don't like, we were changed from Virgin to Delta:( (long story) at the last minute!! Another thing to be careful of with indirect flights is the changeover time, we had just over 2 hours and with ques in custom hall and baggage pick up we just made it to our connecting flight, I wouldn't do indirect again, but I don't like take off and landing so like to get it over and done with, the break up of journey was good, no sooner were we in the air from Atlanta we seemed to be preparing to land at Sandford so that was good, each to their own but it's not for me.[msneek]

wrpac00
10-10-2005, 16:31
Looking at flights for our son to join us for the last 2 weeks of our trip next August. The indirect flights are about £100 cheaper than direct with Virgin, I have to work out is it worth the £100 to fly direct, if there were 4 of us yes but for one I am not so sure. The cheapest BMI flight is £1019.

Does anyone know to look for flights originating in other European countries?

CarolAnn
10-10-2005, 16:53
The main reason we chose indirect on this occasion was the price to be honest, 3 of us travelling for under £950!! It has been booked a while, so may have got it cheaper if we had left it[msneek] Knowing you have to leave the plane and find next departure gate, book-in luggage in a shortish time, does help to focus the packing i must admit[msnwink]Could be carry on only at this rate:)