PDA

View Full Version : Pensioner discounts / decent supermarket

chrisj
28-05-2003, 15:01
Hi

We are taking my mum to Florida in July, as she is 67 is she entitled
to any pensioner discounts on meals, trips etc, the Parks have not
allowed a discount on pre-purchase tickets

Also, we are staying in Crescent Lakes, are there any decent supermarkets close by

thanks
Chris

Harmony
28-05-2003, 15:51
Hi Chris,

If you turn right out of Crescent Lakes Way and go down to Poinciana Towne Center you will find a Publix and a Wyne Dixie, both very good supermarkets. we use these as they are only 8/10 mins away and fewer tourists milling around ;). There is also a nice Denny's that do very reasonable meals for seniors (very good breakfast range), as well as quite a few other stores and resturants.

Have a great time.

jeff

blott
28-05-2003, 16:02
You'll find loads of restaurants provide senior discounts from 50 or 55 upwards... they also have their own menu choice (mainly on the back page). If they don't advertise a discount, just ask!

The theme parks generally don't provide discounts for seniors I'm afraid.

If you turn left out of Crescent Lakes main entrance, you come to the 17/92 traffic light junction. Turn right here (after you've done that you'll find the Branding Iron on the left side which has been recommended by some of our previous guests as having great food and service - it doesn't look much from the outside though!) down to the next set of traffic lights at the crossing of Pleasant Hill Road and turn left. Turn immediately right into the Publix supermarket shopping plaza where you'll find McDonalds, KFC, a new Sonny's BBQ restaurant, video rental store, etc, etc.

As Harmony has already said, the other direction out of Crescent Lakes main entrance will bring you to loads of supermarkets, shops, restaurants, etc too. The Denny's in Poinciana has been recommended by some of our guests (we go there too!) because there are usually no tourists!

chrisj
28-05-2003, 16:23
Thanks both of you, seems they are only round the corner which will be handy

Chris

chrisj
03-06-2003, 17:27
Hi me again

Just read on another part that they found the publix very expensive compared to wall mart.
are the prices so different ???/

blott
03-06-2003, 18:42
Well, supermarkets are just like the ones at home really with some items in one cheaper in the other and vice versa. Depends on what you're buying but we go to all of them and have only noticed a few cents difference in prices of the same things so I don't think it's critical, particularly not when you're on holiday - I mean, who wants to spend all their sunshine time doing comparison shopping? It's a bit like comparing Asda with Tesco or Sainsbury's with Waitrose.

Wal-Mart has loads of other things to buy - clothes, electrical goods, home decor, bedlinens, etc, etc and only a relatively small food section. Publix, Winn Dixie, etc have more food and less other articles. So, I personally would have said that Publix and Winn Dixie have a far greater food choice than you'll find in Wal-Mart. But, if you're looking for items other than food, then Wal-Mart is good as is Target (but slightly more expensive) and K-Mart.

chrisj
03-06-2003, 19:49
Blott

Your right dont want to spend too much time in the shops

Jill
03-06-2003, 20:09
I echo that thought, who wants to go 4,000 miles to go food shopping - not me, now mall shopping that's another story. However, our boys do like the way they slice the cheese in Publix and put it in the little zip bags. Here you have it thrown in a bag and then almost slung across the counter at you. No arguments about who has a bigger piece of cheese either.

fiona
03-06-2003, 21:39
I prefer the choice of food at Publix, and as we have 2 of them within easy driving distance it makes it even easier!! We do have a Winn-Dixie market place a mile from us but I find that is much more expensive, but does have a better deli section.

chrisj
04-06-2003, 01:03
Jill

You sound like my wife, im sure she will want to go clothes shopping all the time
while we are there. Im going to have to convince her not to which will be hard, it
never works here so doubt if it will work in Florida either

fiona
04-06-2003, 01:41
Interestingly my husband chooses to do the food shopping while we are in US! When I go in about 2/3 of the way through our 3 week hols I find it quite a treat! What a sad person I am - as I am totally fed up with the weekly trawl through Waitrose!

chrisj
04-06-2003, 02:20
I know what you mean. I do the food shopping when we are on holiday normally means
I can put a few cans of beer in the shopping. Back home I will avoid it like the
plague.