PDA

View Full Version : Buses and transportation

AndyB01
27-05-2003, 21:32
Hi there!

New to the board(s) so apologies if this has been asked before!

My girlfriend and I are looking at an Orlando holiday in June 04. As we are both under 25 we've decided to save a lot of money and go without a car (the under-age insurance premium is a killer!). I was just wondering whether there are adequate bus links to the main parks? Our hotel we're looking at is the Comfort Inn on I-Drive and offers free scheduled transport to Disney Parks but not Universal - even so, we'd like to have a back-up to Disney if the hotel's service is limited there. I understand that the I-Ride Trolley doesn't go to the main theme parks? Any advice? I think we're only a mile away from Universal so would walking be a possibility? I've been to Orlando twice before but with parents who drove, so this will be a new experience for me!

Also, are there local public buses to the Kennedy Space Centre or would we be better booking a travel agent-organised trip out there?

Thanks for any help!
Andy

blott
27-05-2003, 22:49
Hi Andy

If you check out http://www.iridetrolley.com this lists every single stop on the route and also gives what to do ideas for stays in the area.

As your hotel provides a shuttle service to Disney and the trolley goes to Sea World, the only other theme park in the area is, as you say, Universal Studios. Whilst you're staying near there, the problem is that some of the roads don't have pavements (sidewalks) and I can't remember (because I was driving a car) whether there are pavements from the Wet 'n' Wild area intersection over the I4 to Universal Studios. There are certainly pavements all along International Drive.

I think the best plan is to ask at your hotel concierge desk when you arrive (or email them beforehand if you can do this). If all else fails, there's always a taxi and, as you're staying so near, this won't cost a fortune.

steph_goodrum
27-05-2003, 23:22
The Iride trolley goes up to Universal Studios and also goes as far as the Belz, the Florida Mall and Orlando Premium outlets, if you want to do some designer shopping. The passes are very reasonable but it is quite time consuming because of the traffic and stops on International drive. It took us nearly 2 hours to get from the Belz to Orlando Premium one day. It is definitely the best option though if you can't or don't want to drive.
You may find it better to pre book Kennedy from this end as at least you'll know what the cost is going to be before you get there.

AndyB01
27-05-2003, 23:29
Thanks for the advice - will email the hotel about it and check out the road maps to see if they are any use.

Andy

esprit
27-05-2003, 23:31
Taxis are another option. If you do a search on here, the subject to taxi transportation has been covered previously.

caroline
27-05-2003, 23:44
We used yellow cabs they were brilliant! They're phone number is 407 699 9999

chrizzy100
28-05-2003, 23:22
We used a war vets taxi service.....it ended up cheaper on a longer trip...it was in the phone book....but I'm talking 11 years ago now.....the buses take forever to get you anywhere.....and you go into areas of Orlando that are not the best.....I remember reading a sign saying 'police do not enter this area' while on my bus ride....:D

And 'armed police ride this bus....please respond quicky to anything he or she says'...or something like that.....

Bur we're still here...and the kids loved the bus ride....:)

pbensur
29-05-2003, 04:48
quote:
Also, are there local public buses to the Kennedy Space Centre or would we be better booking a travel agent-organised trip out there?

Thanks for any help!
Andy

There 's a shuttle service from Orlando to Kennedy Space Center. You can check out this website www.alphaomegatransportation.com. The phone number is 352-243-7199. I believe the cost is $20 per person - you need to book this ahead.

DMC
29-05-2003, 14:17
Hi Andy

Having been to Orlando for the last 10 years we have never hired a car as the public transport system is great in Orlando.

We always stay on I' Drive and you shouldn't have any trouble getting to were you want to go.

My advice would be to use the I'Drive Trolley Bus as much as possible, you can buy 3 / 5 and 7 day passes from most Hotels and they work out at a $1 a day, for that you can ride as much as you want.

They have two routes Main Line and the Green Line they run every 10 mins or so from 6.00 am to midnight. The Main Line runs from The Premium Outlet at the bottom of I Drive to The Belz Factory Outlet at the top, with stops every 100 yards or so.

The Green Line runs from Seaworld up to Wet & Wild via a side route and is only really of use if your Hotel is off of I'Drive.

A word of warning they do get busy in the mornings if there is a convention in town and around 5.30 / 6.00 when Seaworld closes.

Also make sure that you get on the trolley that is going the way you want to go, for some sections of I'Drive trolleys running South from the Belz actually go North, which can be a little confusing.

If you want to go to Universal you can get off the trolley bus at Wet & Wild and walk to Universal it take around 15 minutes.

If you want to go elsewhere to say the Florida Mall then catch the number 42 Lynx Bus this runs from the Premium Outlet to the Airport, it costs a $1 a ride. The number 8 also runs up and down I'Drive the Lynx buses run every half an hour and can be a quicker way to travel as they tend to stop less often.

If you want to go to Disney they run a number 52 from just outside Seaworld which runs every 30 mins and takes 20 minutes or so to get to the Magic Kingdom. Once inside Disney you can use their free transportation system to get to their other parks.

In short you can get around very well without a car, but you just have to accept that you will have to wait for a bus and at time they might be busy.

DC

DMC
29-05-2003, 20:04
Andy

One other tip that I forgot to mention, on the trolley buses behind the driver, there is a rack which contains various leaflets and maps of the routes.

In one of these leaflets are a number of coupons that give you money off various shops and restaurants along I'Drive, which are useful.

But what many holiday makers don't pick up on, is the fact that there is a coupon for both the Belz and the Premium Factory Outlets, which if you take to the Customer Information Booth at the respective Outlets, you can collect a Booklet that gives you money off most of the major stores at both centres, we saved ourselves $50 at Ralph Lauren alone.

DMC