PDA

View Full Version : Read this....Plz go for a Visa

JamesG
04-10-2005, 06:08
Hi,

Well married in the states at last, whole trip was superb and i really enjoyed my first visit to the US.

However, US Immigration officals were terrible and had no manners whatsoever.

On waiting in a long queue @ Sanford, i finally made my way to the front and was dealt with by a grumpy looking offical who hardly raised his head to look at me. He said why have you a visa? i said because i had a criminal conviction, he said 'What for?' and before i could answer he quickly raised his voice and said 'WHAT FOR?' i then answered and told him the reason. He then typed away on the system and took my fingerprint, photo etc. Then he said 'Come with me, i need to refer you to Level 2 security'

I was then frogmarched away from my wife to be and her parents and loads of onlooking holidaymakers. I was taken to this room, on entering the room i noticed a woman and a young boy (around 8 yrs) crying. The lady was english and she was saying 'I cant believe this is happening to me' whilst having her head in her hands. I was told to take a seat and wait whilst my partner/parents looked through the window anxiously. Then this lady appears and says to the distraught woman and her child, 'Is this the suitcase?' the woman says yes, then the US Offical ripped off the inbound labels and attached the outbound labels. Her husband was sitting in another office only a few feet away. Turns out he has a conviction, never went for his visa to london or belfast and was in the process of being put on the next plane home to the UK.

Now back to my situ, an officer then shouted my surname and i made my way to the desk he was at, he threw my passport on the desk and said 'Go', i said 'I've to go?' he said 'yes go' without even raising his head or handing me back my passport. I left the room relieved but disgusted by my treatment. I then went to the Bahamas on a 3 day cruise after my wedding and the same thing happened again, i was referred to level 2 security but this time the guys at Port of Miami were very pleasent.

So even if you goto Belfast or London and get granted a visa by the consular, you may still get treated like a second class citizen on arrival at Sanford Airport. All's well that ends well, but manners dont cost a thing.

P.S I saw the distraught lady leaving the airport to continue with her holiday with her lad, so least they still got the holiday. But i must stress to everyone reading this.

IF YOU HAVE A CONVICTION PLEASE GOTO THE US EMBASSY FOR A VISA, I CONSIDERED NOT GOING AND 'CHANCING MY LUCK. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS THIS POOR GUY DID.

best wishes

James

Jo
04-10-2005, 10:57
How awful - as you say manners cost nothing , but a stark warning to those who think they will chance it.

I can't believe that mother actually enjoyed a minute of her holiday and an 8 year old wouldn't have a clue what was happening[msncry].

sundowner
04-10-2005, 12:15
What a terrible start to your holiday/honeymoon, and a good warning to all with a conviction - no matter how trivial.

Jill
04-10-2005, 12:39
Thank you for letting us know about your experience.

It has frequently been recommended by others on this site that people do not take a chance on entering the States without a visa if you have a criminal conviction. Yes, several people do get away with it but for the poor family where the wife and child were allowed to stay but not the husband it must be a dreadful experience. Even though they stayed I would have thought it would be very difficult to enjoy their holiday.

However, there is absolutely NO excuse for such rude behaviour by the jobsworths at Sanford. Attitudes like that will not help tourism. Sanford is mainly a charter/holiday airport and I would have thought to upset the main customer base was not in the best interests of the industry it serves.

luckylady
04-10-2005, 12:56
Thank you for sharing your experiences
Pleased all went well for youand your family
A great lesson to be learned

05-10-2005, 10:24
Thank you for this, its worth know as many people do think they will take chances[msnscared]

Hope the rest of your trip went well[msnwink]

Curly Wurly
05-10-2005, 14:55
Wow, what a nightmare for you.
but even worse for the other guy!! [msnsad])

We went late August and my husband had a visa because of a previous conviction, we flew into Sanford and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. The guy on the immigration desk was quite pleasant really and didn't ask dear hubby anything. Guess we were lucky!!

I'm glad the wedding and honeymoon was not spoiled though.

It is a stark warning though - it can and does happen. I'm glad I took the advice from the forum and got hubby's visa sorted out nice and early.

Robert5988
05-10-2005, 16:51
It would be interesting to know how the immigration authorities ‘found out’ about his record.

Hundreds of thousands of Brits visit the USA each year(some on last minute deals) and I suspect many of them are unaware of the rules and regulations about previous arrests. The first time they see anything written about “arrest/conviction” is when they are handed the I-94W at the airport. Not all are on forums like this one – or even on the internet.

Even when they read this form they can be forgiven for not understanding what it means – with its reference to “crimes of moral turpitude” and “5 years confinement”. Some no doubt[u](wrongly</u>) assume that the UK rehabilitation of offenders act applies in this case.

I suspect the majority of those who are ‘caught’ by US Immigration have answered ‘yes’ on the Visa Waiver Form or sought clarification at their point of entry with the Immigration officer. The chance of anyone who lied on the I-94W getting picked up are extremely slight.

Before any cries of moral outrage on this forum I am not advocating any course of action other than to obtain a Visa if you do not meet the criteria for a Waiver.

America is obviously entitled to make its own rules about who it allows to enter. However the rules and regulations as shown on the I –94W and US Embassy website are totally unclear – look at the heated discussions on this subject on OV – and not that widely publicized. That coupled with the fact that the US Embassy refuse to give any clarification of their rules – even if phoned at a(disgraceful) £1.50 a minute.

I believe this whole subject does not reflect well on the US Immigration authorities

marv
07-10-2005, 03:40
Hi james
Ime so pleased your wedding went well but how awfull for you to start your holiday in that way.
I have spoke to you before on these boards and ime so glad we got our Visa we were told by many people that there was no way the US could find convictions, but i wasn't prepared to take the risk.
How devastating for that family esspecially the 8 yr old.
Well i hope my husband doesn't get that treatment when we go next April. We already had to go through enough just to get the Visa and told the truth, so i feel the US should be a little more sympathetic towards us Brits, who in the end only want to go and see MICKY

JamesG
07-10-2005, 16:48
Hi Marv,

I would say to people if there was no way the US could find out, why did this guy get sent home?
Seeing it first hand has totally confirmed i made the correct decision in going over to Belfast for my visa.

One thing i dont understand is, if the US Embassy has given me a visa and cleared me to enter the states, why do these guys at Sanford still pull you in and give you a hard time even though their country has already said its ok to enter?

These people forgot if it wasnt for us tourists, they may not even have a job.

I wouldnt let these guys spoil my holiday, we had a fab time and will go back.

cheers

E. Cosgrove
07-10-2005, 17:41
As I understand it James, a visa does not give you the right of entry.
That decision lies fairly and squarely with the immigration officer in the US.

JamesG
08-10-2005, 13:23
Yeah that is true,

"A visa is issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. A visa entitles the holder to travel to the United States and apply for admission; it does not guarantee entry. An immigration inspector at the port of entry determines the visa holder's eligibility for admission into the United States"

But why do the US Embassy 'clear' us for entry when at the end of the day your whole trip could be ruined by some grumpy chap at Sanford airport, just doesnt add up.

Robert5988
08-10-2005, 17:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:But why do the US Embassy 'clear' us for entry when at the end of the day your whole trip could be ruined by some grumpy chap at Sanford airport, just doesnt add up.
[/quote]

Well you could have committed an offence after you had been granted the Visa - you can get a 10 year Visa. Or simply that the Immigration officer thinks you may be up to no good.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I would say to people if there was no way the US could find out, why did this guy get sent home?
[/quote]

I don't think anyone has suggested that the US authorities cannot find out if someone has a criminal record. However it is not easy, they have to make enquiries back to UK and that can be time consuming. As suggested above most people are confused and put 'Yes' or seek clarification at the immigration desk. There was programme on TV about this some years ago.

traceya89
11-10-2005, 02:49
i do wonder about someone who has gone to the USA many times and genuinely uses teh visa waiver correctly and then in a mad moment gets arrested and either cautioned or charged. should they just mark no arrest and hope previous visits have been logged as a uneventful visit and hope that by marking no arrest on the vwp they are allowed in or should they go for a visa and declare everything. i wonder out of the people who get denied entry into the USA whether they have put on the VWP that they have been previously arrested, hence being denied entry into the USA. A friend of mine has just booked through the travel agent to go to Florida next August and at no time has the travel agent mentioned the VWP and rules regarding entry into the USA.
hOW MANY PEOPLE ARE CAUGHT OUT BY BEING IGNORANT OF THE RULES.

Braveheart
18-10-2005, 11:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by JamesG
Yeah that is true,

"A visa is issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. A visa entitles the holder to travel to the United States and apply for admission; it does not guarantee entry. An immigration inspector at the port of entry determines the visa holder's eligibility for admission into the United States"

But why do the US Embassy 'clear' us for entry when at the end of the day your whole trip could be ruined by some grumpy chap at Sanford airport, just doesnt add up.

[/quote]The way it was explained to me, by a Us attorney....Entry to the USA is controlled by more than one "agency". Basically he said that Homeland Security (immigration officials at port of entry) and State (Consulate officials) play a game with the former enjoying the odd "trump" over the latter. I am so sorry that you like so many others had to suffer being a pawn in this game. Try to stay put if you can and avoid too many trips in and out of the country.

steph_goodrum
18-10-2005, 13:41
The more trips you make , the less likely you are probably to have problems, in that if you establish a pattern of visits without incident, then the authorities are more likely to relax their view of you.

JamesG
18-10-2005, 17:11
I disagree,

My aunt (who is retired) stays in North Port and comes home every year for 2 months. COming home last time she was grilled by US Customs and told she 'just cant come and go as she pleases!"

steph_goodrum
18-10-2005, 20:43
James
If she has permanent residency in the US which, she must if she stays there for 10 months then she can just come and go as she pleases surely?

JamesG
21-10-2005, 16:43
Yeah thats what she thought but when coming back in for my wedding after her 90 day timeout was complete she was informed she cant just come and go as she pleases even though she has a 10yr visa.

All this puts me off the states, more i think about it more i will prob just holiday elsewhere

rocky7
02-03-2006, 07:37
A 10 year visa does not give you a right to stay in the USA as often as you like for 10 years. It is a tourist visa and most tourist do not stay for long periods of time.