PDA

View Full Version : dollar over charge

bushbaby
03-10-2005, 23:54
I travelled with friends to our villa in aug this year via TCD
Flight ok no delays.

Dollar car hire i chose no upgrade he was talked into upgrade.
fine bigger car got 7 of us around when needed.

My credit card bill £22 fuel bought on picking up car returned empty.

His credit card £22 plus £70 for bringing car back empty.

It looks like 2 charges for fuel at collection and return
Is this a scam by dollar or a mistake.
Do they make you sign a different contract when upgrading
He is not a happy camper and my bank manager to boot.

Bushbaby

CERICROWLEY
04-10-2005, 00:17
Bushbaby

The £22 looks like it is for the tank of fuel you have to buy, if you didn't go for the gold option. The £70 would more than likely be the difference between the original car paid for and the upgrade to the bigger car.

bushbaby
04-10-2005, 03:31
I know the £22 is for the purchase of fuel the gold option is not an option with TCD

I have booked car hire through this site many times taking gold option

The extra £70 is shown in addition to upgrade charges and actually states fuel

Bushbaby

pieman790
04-10-2005, 10:34
We always book our car hire from this site and opt for the gold option. This way you dont have to worry about filling the car up before you return it.
We have used both Dollar and Alamo and both companies try and get you to upgrade or take extra insurance. We have found that the upgrades are not cheap, they actually wanted $400 for us to upgrade from a full size to a SUV for 14 nights and this was there daily special

E. Cosgrove
04-10-2005, 11:07
That's why we always book from this site, you pay up front and that's it, nothing extra to pay for!

CERICROWLEY
04-10-2005, 11:28
Bushbaby.

Are you saying as well as the £70, they also have another cost charged as the upgrade.

bushbaby
05-10-2005, 01:41
YES
thats right so actually 3 charges the original tank of fuel , the upgrade and the returned empty tank of fuel

Bushbaby

sunseeker
05-10-2005, 02:28
never even been asked if i want an upgrade by Dollar, i took a dodge caravan back that had seen better days last easter and they never even batted an eyelid [msnembarrased]

Dave

Robert5988
05-10-2005, 04:09
If you booked through TCD it is unfortunately what you might expect.

Just write to TCD with a copy to ABTA.(Association of British Travel Agents)

TCD will no doubt blame Dollar, but at least your letter will add to the thickest file of complaints held by ABTA. Eventually it might promt ABTA to do something about this dreadful company

CERICROWLEY
05-10-2005, 11:34
Bushbaby

Can you put the two tickets together and see like for like which is different it might be the way to explain to TCD what exactly is the problem, as they will just say, thats what you signed for.

I know when we went out last christmas. I booked a 7 seater 4x4 as hubbies parents were coming with us. We booked the full gold option with OV (so no problems) We then went back in two weeks, his parents were staying another two weeks. so we returned the car and they then booked an economy car, we told them they would have to pay for a tank of fuel. that was no problem, when his parents came back there was another charge on their credit card, and when we looked at it they had said for the extra insurance option without knowing exactley what it was.

They normally always ask you sign and initial the parts that incur charges. Have a read through You should then list the options that are different on your to his and go back to TCD