PDA

View Full Version : Guesstimating an airfare!

Twiglet
01-10-2005, 02:07
Hello all

How would I go about guesstimating a price for Florida in 2008, to give my sister a ball park figure for flights from Gatwick to Orlando. We are thinking of going either Xmas or October, but her and her young daughter are on a very strict budget, and she needs to have a rough idea when would be the best time for her to fly, and what it would cost that time of year.

Can anyone give me an idea based on today's prices, what would be a good figure to base it on, and hopefully nearer the time she either finds an amazing bargain or wins the lottery! It would be one adult ticket and a 10 year old at time of travel! Thanks heaps, if anyone can advise, guide me....I know you guys will!

steph_goodrum
01-10-2005, 02:34
Twiglet are they coming from Australia or UK? Obviously the fare structures may be different in Australia so it would be difficult to advise.

If they can avoid Oct half term flights may not be too bad but around Xmas will be peak. This year the cut off date is 15th Dec when fares double for a week or so but obviously its only guesswork what will be happening in 2008. The only advantag is if she aims for December then being 3 years away she could aim to put a small amount away each from now and that would help cover it.

Before Dec 15th this year she would be looking at around £300 with Virgin , after that more like £600 so it gives a rough idea.

Twiglet
01-10-2005, 02:49
Sorry Steph have gone and amended my post, its from Gatwick to Orlando!! Silly me!

We would be going the week before school holidays in October, so that might help with the prices!

andrewmckay5
01-10-2005, 04:07
Might be worth her getting a Virgin credit card asap, joining the flying club and getting as many air miles as possible; could lead to 2 tickets with only the tax to pay.
andrew

steph_goodrum
01-10-2005, 13:11
Generally the week before any school holiday the flight prices are higher, and we have noticed a trend in the last couple of years for most October flights to be slightly higher, obviously airlines are basing it on school holidays throughout the country and as the half term varies, with many having a 2 week break in Oct.

You could use the link above and get a quote for your predicted dates for next year to give you a ball park figure by adding on say 10% a year increase, you should be in the right area then.

Snapper
01-10-2005, 13:39
Andrew's idea is a fantastic one. If you are looking out towards 2008 there is tons of time to rack up a substantial number of airmiles if you put all (every single bit) of your day-by-day spending through the card.

It's really difficult to accurately estimate flight costs, and another variable for 2008 is that the new Airbus A380 (the huge two decker airplane) should be in service. This might have an impact on flight prices on popular routes such as London-Orlando.

To do some rough workings out in the meantime, if you work with a ballpark figure of £500 per person you shouldn't be miles out. If you choose Christmas the flights could work out more expensive than this. If you can travel more off-peak they should come in a bit less.

steph_goodrum
01-10-2005, 15:14
The airmiles on the credit card is a good idea but I'm guessing from the wording of mum and daughter , your sister is a single parent and many do not want or cant afford to get caught up with credit cards and prefer not to use themm if possible to avoid the temptation of overloading it and not being able to afford the repayments. etc

Twiglet
01-10-2005, 17:24
I will tell my sister about the card, luckily my sister is incredibly good with money and such a little trooper with her daughter, really organised, so I think she would be disciplined, and if it could help her get air miles it might be the go. I know here in Australia everyone has a credit card with airmiles or some kind of reward on it.....but you do have to be disciplined!

Robert5988
01-10-2005, 22:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:It's really difficult to accurately estimate flight costs, and another variable for 2008 is that the new Airbus A380 (the huge two decker airplane) should be in service. This might have an impact on flight prices on popular routes such as London-Orlando.
[/quote]

Steve,
I read an article that said Orlando(MCO) had no plans to invest in the facilities required to handle the A380 - double deck boarding gates etc - so it would not be landing there.

From memory the article said LA, San Francisco, New York, Washington, Chicago, Miami and Dallas/Fort Worth? were the only airports where the A380 would fly to in the USA.

Or have I got it wrong? Or indeed were you not implying it would be landing there, but have an impact on flight prices anyhow?

Twiglet
02-10-2005, 02:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:It's really difficult to accurately estimate flight costs, and another variable for 2008 is that the new Airbus A380 (the huge two decker airplane) should be in service. This might have an impact on flight prices on popular routes such as London-Orlando.
[/quote]

Steve,
I read an article that said Orlando(MCO) had no plans to invest in the facilities required to handle the A380 - double deck boarding gates etc - so it would not be landing there.

From memory the article said LA, San Francisco, New York, Washington, Chicago, Miami and Dallas/Fort Worth? were the only airports where the A380 would fly to in the USA.

Or have I got it wrong? Or indeed were you not implying it would be landing there, but have an impact on flight prices anyhow?
[/quote]

*rubs hands in glee* I am hoping I will benefit from the new A380, Melbourne Airport is one of only a few airports that are ready now to receive the plane, without needing to be extended. So I should be in line for a whopping discount by then.

Hopefully the knock on effects will be that other routes benefit, as long the fuel prices don't keep escalating! [msneek]

Katys Grandad
02-10-2005, 13:21
The cynic in me says that airlines aren't buying the Airbus 380 to save their passengers money!

andrewmckay5
02-10-2005, 13:52
http://uk.virginmoney.com/vaa-credit-card/
Link for the Virgin card.

Also Amex recently had an offer that they may repeat; annual fee of £95-00 but you got 20,000 air miles when you used it for the firtst time.
Might be of interest if it comes up again.
andrew
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Twiglet
I will tell my sister about the card, luckily my sister is incredibly good with money and such a little trooper with her daughter, really organised, so I think she would be disciplined, and if it could help her get air miles it might be the go. I know here in Australia everyone has a credit card with airmiles or some kind of reward on it.....but you do have to be disciplined!

[/quote]

Snapper
02-10-2005, 15:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
[/quote]
I hadn't heard either way Robert, but figured that all major hubs will eventually have to take the A380, along with whatever Boeing come up with to compete with it.

It could be an interesting one to think about once the airlines start flying them in earnest. If an airline wants to fly an A380 because it's more economical but the airport doesn't support it I wonder which one will crack first. Will some airlines drop that route or will the airport invest in the facilities.