PDA

View Full Version : Travelcity direct flights on ebay

Dopeysfriend
28-09-2005, 00:38
6 Oct and 7 Oct from Gatwick. 2 people for £118. 14 nights return on Air Atlanta. Lots of pairs up for grabs.

jeff66
28-09-2005, 15:04
Hmm... I am a bit wary of that! Look at the feedback.... I use ebay quite a lot, too many scammers on there now! Worth persuing though, you never know.

28-09-2005, 16:24
Im surprised the tickets are even transferable??? Or are they from an agent???

Wouldn't fly with them even if they were free!!!

djdigitald
28-09-2005, 18:08
Looking at all the adverts on ebay for tickets to Florida they all have one thing in comman. When you look at the feedback there are mutiple purchases from the same people. Seems very iffy to me to be honest.

Dopeysfriend
28-09-2005, 20:50
Looks genuine to me. It's travelcity themselves who are selling them so being transferable doesn't come into it.

I find it hard to believe that anybody can say they wouldn't travel with them even if they were free.

Christine

stabard
28-09-2005, 21:30
Well it is someone calling themselves TRavel City Direct.
I would be concerned that you need to collect your tickets at the airport. I suppose you could try calling TRavel City on the phone and see if they can confirm that they are selling tickets this way.

phaedra
29-09-2005, 01:54
Atol number checks out and the company address and contact info matches that on TCDs T&C page,

"Your contract is with The Really Great Holiday Company Plc. whose registered office is 3A Gatwick Metro Centre, Balcombe Road, Horley, Surrey RH6 9GA. The Really Great Holiday Company Plc is a member of the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA No.V7600) and holds Air Tours Organisers Licence 3827 issued by The Civil Aviation Authority for which it is fully bonded for your financial protection.This contract will be subject to English Law and the jurisdiction of the English Courts."

29-09-2005, 09:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dopeysfriend
Looks genuine to me. It's travelcity themselves who are selling them so being transferable doesn't come into it.

I find it hard to believe that anybody can say they wouldn't travel with them even if they were free.

Christine

[/quote]

Not hard at all I woundn't travel with them even if they were free[msnwink] I know of to many incidents with them and I despise the way the operate[msnmad]

If you offered me a free meal at McDonnalds I also would say no thanks, a weekend in a Blackpool hotel - no thanks, etc etc[msnwink]

So what's not to believe Christine???[msnwink]

vanessag
29-09-2005, 18:51
We traveled with travel city direct once, we had to turn around (after dumping the fuel) then made an emergency landing back at Gatwick then a 24 hour delay, then a 2 hour delay getting luggage off. To be fair they stopped using the particular charter company and we have since travelled with them on air Iclandic (only a slight problem that time-a fire alarm went off in the hold so we had to fly back a different route which took longer as we could be no more than 20 minutes from an airport!!!) I suppose you get what you pay for, we wouldnt use again though.

Maureen Edwards
29-09-2005, 20:25
That seems a lot of vacant seats on the 6th October flight ----40 seats at the moment. I wonder why[msneek]

29-09-2005, 20:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Maureen Edwards
That seems a lot of vacant seats on the 6th October flight ----40 seats at the moment. I wonder why[msneek]
[/quote]

Maybe people are now getting wind of how bad they are[msnwink]

Dopeysfriend
29-09-2005, 21:28
I've used travelcity a few times and had no problems whatsoever.

Yes, I know there have been some bad reports about them but other airlines have faults too.

For the record I wouldn't have a free macdonalds or blackpool hotel either.

If you can afford to go scheduled every time....lucky you. Some people can't.

I wonder how many other people wouldn't accept a free flight?

29-09-2005, 23:36
I've used travelcity a few times and had no problems whatsoever.

Yes, I know there have been some bad reports about them but other airlines have faults too.

For the record I wouldn't have a free macdonalds or blackpool hotel either.

If you can afford to go scheduled every time....lucky you. Some people can't.

I wonder how many other people wouldn't accept a free flight?
[/quote]

We choose to go less often but then we can afford to go scheduled PE, that's just our choice[msnwink] There is no luck involved - just hard work!

For some unknown reason it get up peoples noses (yours) that I won't fly with certain airlines[msneek] It just my choice. I wouldn't fly with Easyjet, or Air India to name but a few either[msnwink]

I also wouldn't stay in some villas - even if they were free[msncool]

Dopeysfriend
30-09-2005, 01:34
Vannesag......would you use them if they were free?

Dopeysfriend
30-09-2005, 02:07
Didn't know Easyjet went to Florida. Which airport do they go from?

30-09-2005, 02:37
Didn't know Easyjet went to Florida. Which airport do they go from?
[/quote]

This is getting very silly[msnscared]

Robert5988
30-09-2005, 05:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If you can afford to go scheduled every time....lucky you. Some people can't.
[/quote]

Perhaps some people can't afford to go to Florida at all; lucky you if you can. So I suggest pleading poverty as a reason for using TCD doesn't cut much ice.

I very much share Mach2's dislike of TCD and about the way they operate.

A Florida holiday is expensive but the thought of starting and finishing a holiday with TCD would make a fortnight in a B&B in Blackpool and 'dining' in Macdonalds seem a viable alternative. With the money I saved I could buy a copy of the 'Daily Sport' which is where I assume TCD advertise? - or have they gone upmarket to The Sun?

djdigitald
30-09-2005, 11:57
I have only flown with Air 2000 as was, now First Choice as a Charter airline to Florida(Baring the time i went with my Parents many years ago when Sanford had first opened to Transatlantic flights when we flew with Monarch) and i never had any problems with them. However, reading all the stories about the Avion group and listening to friends who have flown with TCD/Air Atlanta, i would not touch them with a 50ft Barge Pole, Yes even if it was free. I would rather save that bit longer and fly a scheduled airline, i know you can have problems with them sometimes but not in the same league as Avion.

In all the years i have flows to the states and it isn't just Orlando and all the airlines i have been on, you can't beat Virgin IMHO, yes i have had problems with them but they have sorted them out and compensated when neccessary. :D

Macka
30-09-2005, 12:33
I'm sure someone will know and put me straight, but we stopped using charter quite a few years ago now. Then, we discovered that the difference in cost between charter and scheduled was negligable. (I appreciate that this is a matter of opinion).
Again, this does depend on your time of year, we don't have kids so we can choose the cheaper times of the year, and of course your choice of airport also makes a difference, however if four of us were to book through a travel agent with villa's, luxury car hire and (charter) flights, we've been quoted as much as £5-6 thousand for 3 weeks.

Booking independantly, we generally do it for about 800 quid each.

While I understand that some may need to shave every penny off the cost to make it possible, with a bit of work on the internet, you should be able to get as near as damn it the same costs to go scheduled. We're not loaded, faaar from it, we just think a few quid more is hugely worth it.

Personally we wouldn't fly with TCD for free either. Our holiday starts with the flight and we want to be comfortable and well looked after, you can more confidently expect to get that on a scheduled flight. We won't go anywhere near a travel agent or charter company either now unless we have to. Some may feel more comfortable having the protection of an agent but we've had so many experiences of appalling customer service from agents, we think you're better off without them.

This website illustrates the point perfectly, independent travellers have [u]more</u> security than those relying on corporate entities to deliver your travel arrangements. I include charter companies as agents.

vanessag
30-09-2005, 17:21
In reply to the question "would I fly with them if it was free?", well the answer would be no! This was just down to the fact we had a couple of very worrying flights with them, so my decsion is based on that, I felt very nervous on the aircraft (a lot of their charter planes ar ex BA and are 30 years old) However the service on board was very good and I really couldnt fault it, it was just we had 2 exceptionally bad flights with them, one of which as I said before ended with an emergancy landing and being chased down the runway with 5 fire engines following us!

30-09-2005, 17:34
So Christine its seems that I am not the only one who would not fly with them even if free:D

eagleydo
30-09-2005, 17:53
I must admit I am very fussy on who I fly with, but saying that I did use an agent and fly with Monarch the first time we went to Florida. It was cramped but fine, if we hadn't had these cheap flight we would never have afforded to go in the first place. Since then I have learnt how to get reasonable and not much more pricey flights with top airlines (BA and Virgin). Always tell everyone it is worth it to shop around and get a good price for the better airlines, more room, more comfort, more confidence.

Macka
30-09-2005, 17:56
[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

[easter2]

(no reason for the bunny, he's just sooooo cute!)

eagleydo
30-09-2005, 18:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka

[easter2]

[/quote]

Bunny nearly as cute as my burger eating dragon, what do you think?

vanessag
30-09-2005, 18:58
I must also add though that I would def fly easyjet etc. We generally fly to the states on scheduled flights purely because we go either for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. I

Macka
30-09-2005, 19:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo

[easter2]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can't see your Dragon Jan.[msnsad]

Aiminghigh
30-09-2005, 23:36

[easter2]

[/quote]
Never mind "cute"-this is what happens when you join the OV Slimming Forum-wishful thinking! Sadly, YOUR carrot will not turn into chocolate[msnwink]

eagleydo
30-09-2005, 23:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo

[easter2]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can't see your Dragon Jan.[msnsad]
[/quote]

My burger eating dragon is my avatar, surely he hadn't popped ot to the bathroom when you looked, had he?

Fourdents
01-10-2005, 00:49
MACKA

Chocolate affects your 'EYESIGHT" Keep off the bunnies !!

Dopeysfriend
01-10-2005, 01:14
Yes I suppose bunnies, carrots and dragons eating burgers are more fun than the original thread. Can't deny they get your postings up!

01-10-2005, 01:37
Yes I suppose bunnies, carrots and dragons eating burgers are more fun than the original thread. Can't deny they get your postings up!
[/quote]

[laugh][laugh][laugh] That certain is true, but you have obviously choosen to ignore all the other posting by others who also would not travel even if free, Robert, eagleydo, Vanessag, Macka and djdigitald all seem to agree with me Christine [msnsmile2]

Does anyone really care how many postings they have?? WE are not in the playground Christine even if you are[msnwink]

Dopeysfriend
01-10-2005, 01:50
Postings do mean something to villa owners. Are you a villa owner Mach 2??

eagleydo
01-10-2005, 02:36
Not sure what you are trying to do Christene, but if you are just trying to wind everyone up, leave it out. I tried purely to lighten what was becoming a heavy topic,not chasing postings. I find this forum helpful and friendly and wish it to remain so.

Aiminghigh
01-10-2005, 09:45
[/quote]

Maybe they do, but most of us who have added to this thread are NOT villa owners and have therefore done it just for fun,with no thought whatsoever of postings!

Macka
01-10-2005, 10:06
Christine,

I should leave this.

If you only had villa owners here, there wouldn't be any customers.

domster
01-10-2005, 12:55
Now I am going to have my 2 pence worth.

I would take up the free flight offer- it is only 8 hours of your life and if it gets me over there then great.

Next one, Charter are much cheaper than Scheduled, truct me we flew twice last year with MYtravel and they were £250 cheaper (peak) than Virgin and BA. With a family of 4 that is £1000! What would £1000 buy you, that pays for car hire and most of your park tickets.....etc

Everyone to their own as I am flying with Virgin in January for £320 (cheapest at the time). For me travel is just a means of getting there, if it does and I get good service then all the better.

As for TCD I don't like them full stop. Cheap flights YES, but you then have to book their car hire and extras which are one of the most expensive going.

:(

Dopeysfriend
01-10-2005, 14:08
No worries Jan, yes I'm going to leave it there.

Ruth
01-10-2005, 23:00
We fly Easyjet as they fly Edinburgh to Gatwick at a low price and you are only in the air for an hour. However for a transatlantic flight we always go Virgin (preferred) or BA.

alastair
03-10-2005, 00:56
Having read through this thread, I think it is disappointing that someone can post an innocent one line piece of information regarding flight offers which anyone reading has the choice of following up on if it meets their requirements and it results in the thread deteriorating to the level it did. There are plenty of other threads covering the service provided by carriers and individuals preferences/experiences which anyone can search for information. If everytime someone posts a deal they have spotted it results in posts lke this it will only result in people not posting any offers they see from carriers other than Virgin or BA. At the end of the day the charter flights are there because Virgin and BA do not provide sufficient coverage and capacity around the UK to cope with the demand for flights to Orlando at peak periods.

Also, in reference to Mach 2's comments regarding someone losing business and being antaganostic, I'm afraid that comments like that are in fact antaganistic.

At the end of the day forum members -- owners and non-owners -- provide invaluable information on this forum that I am sure has been of great use to many and I hope that continues. So let's get back to what the forum is all about.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-10-2005, 02:46
Just to clarify, postings on here do not mean something to villa owners - owners get no benefit by posting and are not required to if they do not want to. If owners, or non-owners, want to post then that's great (as that's what forums are all about), but there is no compulsion for anyone to.

I do not want to have to lock this thread but will do if necessary. Please can we get back onto the original subject of the thread [msnsmile].

[/quote]