PDA

View Full Version : Flight surcharge request!

wrxppp
26-09-2005, 01:19
We booked our flights through 'Charter Travel' and upon request paid the full total 12 weeks prior to our flight (05 Nov 05). Today I received a call from Charter requesting a further £19 per person.[:O]
Upon speaking to the agent[msnmad] I was advised this was result of them being charged additional surcharge by Virgin.:(I was of the understanding that once you pay in full that becomes final?

Could anyone advise if tis is standard procedure, only I have flown with Virgin direct and never had this happen before?

Jo

Michelle
26-09-2005, 01:51
We had same thing last year, so yes this does happen I am afraid. We booked Virgin flights for 2006 a couple of weeks ago , and it was stated at the tme of booking that there may be an additional charge added at a later date if Airline raises the fuel charges.

wrpac00
26-09-2005, 02:10
It's probably in the small print somewhere, have you still got the brochure you booked it from?

sundowner
26-09-2005, 13:29
Bit of a cheek though, when you have already paid in full. Hope it gets sorted in your favour.

luckylady
26-09-2005, 13:50
When I booked our flights in June for December I was given a choice
Pay £25 deposit then the rest 10 weeks before we depart, but may have to pay a fuel surcharge
Or pay the total amount then and nothing to pay extra regardless of what may happen
I chose the latter, are you saying I maybe asked to pay a fuel surcharge anyway
If this is correct I was given false information
I will cause a fuss

CarolAnn
26-09-2005, 13:51
I must confess I wasn't aware if the invoice was paid in full that any additions could be put on to the bill?

stabard
26-09-2005, 14:19
me neither - We are due to fly Virgin in October and December and I will be very peeved if I have to pay anything else as both sets of flights are paid in full at time of booking [V]

CERICROWLEY
26-09-2005, 14:39
I have always paid in full for our flights, I have booked last minute as well as booking about a year in advance.

Flown with Continental, Virgin, BA, My Travel.

They have never come back and asked for a Surcharge yet.

KNOCK ON HEAD??Touch wood.:D

Macka
26-09-2005, 15:25
No I've never been surcharged in twenty five years either Ceri.

We always have to pay upfront as they're always scheduled flights.

I'd have thought if you pay upfront, then that's a contract with the airline and they can't ask for more. Not 100% sure about that though.

26-09-2005, 15:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
No I've never been surcharged in twenty five years either Ceri.

We always have to pay upfront as they're always scheduled flights.

I'd have thought if you pay upfront, then that's a contract with the airline and they can't ask for more. Not 100% sure about that though.
[/quote]

Me niether never had any surcharges[msnwink]

athurstance
26-09-2005, 15:55
We were surcharged £60 for 4 of us. Never been surcharged before either but its always in the small print that they can.

Steve and Dawn
26-09-2005, 17:36
It's a tricky one really, I personnaly have never been charged an additional fuel surcharge after paying in full before. In fact we booked our flights and paid in full in Feb well before the fuel increases. I haven't been contacted for further charges. On the other hand, we have never seen such a rise in Fuel prices as this year and I suppose some of the companies like Charter travel that try to keep the cost down by reducing their profit margin my find they have to recover some of these costs. As an aside, did anyone hear that Richard Branson is considering buying his own Oil Refinery? As his company has seen an increase of $200,000,000.

One thing though, has anyone one ever had a refund after paying in full if surcharges are reduced?[msnwink]

pieman790
26-09-2005, 19:10
We were told by our travel agent that once full payment is made they will isssue the tickets straight away. This way they cannot increase the flight prices or so i am told.

christhear
26-09-2005, 19:47
I recently booked through Virgin Holidays for a fly drive next July (with my 10% frequent virging discount it worked out as cheap as charter travel). i asked whether I would be liable for any surcharges and was told no, and I only had to pay the deposit. The agent actually told me that the surcharge was going up on Monday (booked on friday night).

Robert5988
26-09-2005, 21:11
Presumably you paid Charter in full, but Charter haven't paid Virgin. Virgin charge Charter and they are passing on some/all of this surcharge.

If so, it is between you and Charter and the small print in Charter's contract with you.

E. Cosgrove
26-09-2005, 22:17
We also fly wth Virgin on 5th Nov and booked and paid for our flights direct with Virgin, 4 weeks ago. We have not been asked for any surcharge as yet.

thumpertwinkle
26-09-2005, 22:37
We booked our flights through Charter, flying United in October, we had a call from them around Easter to say United were putting a surcharge on but if we paid in full for the flights within xx number of hours they wouldn't be able to add the surcharge as once the flights are paid in full and tickets issued the airline couldn't add a surcharge. Obviously we paid for the flights as there are 5 of us and the surcharge was £60 per person!

wrxppp
26-09-2005, 23:48
Further conversation with charter (who was very abusive and rude, in fact totally unprofessional telephone manner to my sister) has revealed that Virgin have issued a list of people's names to be contacted and surcharged.
I booked my families flights last year along with my cousin and his family, my sister booked a couple of weeks later (17 flight seats in total). All flights paid in full 12 weeks before departure and at the same time. Me and my sister have been called and issued a surcharge and my cousin's family have not! Charter explained that not everyone may be contacted! good luck to those who don't get a call but it would be interesting to learn how charter/virgin prioritise.

Charter's final answer is if you don't pay they won't pay Virgin and you won't be issued your tickets!!

27-09-2005, 00:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrxppp
Further conversation with charter (who was very abusive and rude, in fact totally unprofessional telephone manner to my sister) has revealed that Virgin have issued a list of people's names to be contacted and surcharged.
I booked my families flights last year along with my cousin and his family, my sister booked a couple of weeks later (17 flight seats in total). All flights paid in full 12 weeks before departure and at the same time. Me and my sister have been called and issued a surcharge and my cousin's family have not! Charter explained that not everyone may be contacted! good luck to those who don't get a call but it would be interesting to learn how charter/virgin prioritise.

Charter's final answer is if you don't pay they won't pay Virgin and you won't be issued your tickets!!

[/quote]

If I were you I would check these facts with the Virgin Management team - just for curiousity if nothing else[msnscared]

Personally I won't use Charter Travel again I have had my own bad experience with them, I always book direct with the airline that way you get all the facts from from the horses mouth[msnwink]

As for the Data Protetion Act - they need re training I will say no more[msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

thornton
27-09-2005, 00:49
I booked with Virgin three weeks ago and so far have not received any request for a surcharge. I find that booking direct with the airline you tend not to be asked for any extra. I am sure it is because the travel companies hang on to the money.

Jill

domster
27-09-2005, 00:52
I am suprised they can add this after you have paid.

Jo
27-09-2005, 00:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
When I booked our flights in June for December I was given a choice
Pay £25 deposit then the rest 10 weeks before we depart, but may have to pay a fuel surcharge
Or pay the total amount then and nothing to pay extra regardless of what may happen
I chose the latter, are you saying I maybe asked to pay a fuel surcharge anyway
If this is correct I was given false information
I will cause a fuss

[/quote]

My inlaws were in this position too. In July/August Charter said there was a surcharge , unless they paid the full amount straight away(flights in April). They decided not too, as the interest they would have earned on the money was about the same as the surcharge.

They then got another call last week to say Continental were charging a surcharge for all tickets that weren't paid for, so they paid up.

This sounds mighty fishy to me. My inlaws are in their 60s and worry about things like this - it would be easy for Charter to exert pressure on them. I'd be interested to know what the real position is.

Michelle
27-09-2005, 01:07
We have been using Charter travel for all our own travel arrangements for quite a few years, and I for one know that they are not the sort of company to pressure any one. I am sure if you call harter travel they would be happy to answer any of your questions or possible doubts that some people may have.

Sally D
27-09-2005, 02:23
We booked our tickets, not through Charter but a local firm in November for October flying with BA. They asked for a deposit the remainder to be paid 8 weeks before departure. We were never asked for any surcharge, but another family I know used the same firm and BA a couple of weeks later were charged a surcharge when they paid the balance.

27-09-2005, 02:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Michelle
We have been using Charter travel for all our own travel arrangements for quite a few years, and I for one know that they are not the sort of company to pressure any one. I am sure if you call harter travel they would be happy to answer any of your questions or possible doubts that some people may have.
[/quote]

Im sorry but I have to disagree[msnmad]

Robert5988
27-09-2005, 03:30
On a slightly different tack, I wonder what the advantages are now in booking scheduled flights with any of these agencies or on-line firms such as Orbitz, Opodo, etc.

Some while ago they bought blocks of seats and you could get discounts on the prices charged by airlines. However it is my understanding that the Airlines have fought back and now you can usually get better prices direct from their web-site.

I know some airlines guarantee their web site prices will not be beaten and some give money-back plus money if you find a better price.

I can’t say I have researched it fully but from time to time I have found a price from an airline’s web site and checked it against agencies and none of them were cheaper, and most were more expensive. Not checked Virgin, but have with BA and AA.

Some years ago I got only 10% of the BA air miles on a flight to Miami booked through Opodo. Even now I understand from friends that you need to be careful about the code of seat you get from agencies, or you will not get the full air miles.

Katys Grandad
27-09-2005, 09:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
On a slightly different tack, I wonder what the advantages are now in booking scheduled flights with any of these agencies or on-line firms such as Orbitz, Opodo, etc.

Some while ago they bought blocks of seats and you could get discounts on the prices charged by airlines. However it is my understanding that the Airlines have fought back and now you can usually get better prices direct from their web-site.

I know some airlines guarantee their web site prices will not be beaten and some give money-back plus money if you find a better price.

I can’t say I have researched it fully but from time to time I have found a price from an airline’s web site and checked it against agencies and none of them were cheaper, and most were more expensive. Not checked Virgin, but have with BA and AA.

Some years ago I got only 10% of the BA air miles on a flight to Miami booked through Opodo. Even now I understand from friends that you need to be careful about the code of seat you get from agencies, or you will not get the full air miles.

[/quote]

I am sure you are right Robert. I have checked Charter's prices against what the airline offered direct a few times recently. They did work hard to match it and I can't complain about the service, but on each occasion they couldn't get close.

I doubt the situation is any different with other agents and your observations on air miles is well founded. I suppose that if you don't have the time or perhaps the expertise to find better fares, agents have a place in the market but these days they can't really be competetive against most of the actual providers.

27-09-2005, 09:52
Experience has taught me that I only book direct with the airline, on the odd occasion I don't its always been problematic so for a few more ££'ss its worth every penny[msnwink]

Katys Grandad
27-09-2005, 10:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
Experience has taught me that I only book direct with the airline, on the odd occasion I don't its always been problematic so for a few more ££'ss its worth every penny[msnwink]
[/quote]

I do the same Julie but my experience has been that you actually pay less!

To be honest, for reasons you will understand, Charter would have to undercut the price by a fair bit for me to use them.

Phil

CERICROWLEY
27-09-2005, 11:45
Jo we booked our continental flights to fly end of OCtober some nine months ago, We paid in full then, we do not have any surcharge to pay.

With regards to booking with agents, I have booked direct with BA and Virgin and with Opodo and Expedia.

I tend to check back and fore for a couple of weeks, seeing who comes out the cheapest. You tend to find the flights are cheaper on Monday afternoon than Friday morning. Sometimes Expedia and opodo are cheaper sometimes ba and virgin are.

I have frequent flyer miles with continental and virgin, and if I book with Expedia I always get my miles awarded.

djdigitald
27-09-2005, 11:48
The only time i have booked through an agent to go to the US was for our trip last November. We booked through Cheapest Flights as they were 50% (yes Fifty) cheaper than booking with Virgin directly. We even got our Virgin Miles as well as it was a standard ticket not one of the cheap codes. I have asked Charter for a couple of quotes, one they couldn't get near the prices i paid and once they didn't even get back, again that is only my experience.

RINSAL
05-10-2005, 00:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Michelle
[/quote]
I am sorry but I have to totally disagree with you here. This is the first time I have used "Charter Travel" and it will be the last as far as i'm concerned. They are the most unprofessional company that I have ever dealt with. A lady from "Charter" phoned me to inform me that we had to pay a surcharge, when I questioned what it was for she became very abusive and told me that if I didn't pay it I would not be going on holiday as she would not send me my tickets. I have since contacted virgin and they assure me that there has been no fuel surcharges put on their flights at this present time. They are trying to fob us off because they have taken our money for flights and have not paid Virgin. I have now paid the surcharge to Charter as I felt we had no choice, but we have still not recieved our tickets from them yet. I just wonder what else they will try and charge us for! They should call themselves "Extra Charges Travel"

l

wrxppp
05-10-2005, 01:21
[clap]
totally agree here RINSAL!
I too paid my ransom and I am still awaiting my tickets. I have to say the lady I spoke with at Charter was very polite, but then she was not the proprieter!
Having been a victim of such poor service and feel totally discriminated against, as not everyone on that flight has been charged!:(

Lesson learned BOOK DIRECT next time!![msnembarrased]

Macka
05-10-2005, 09:13
I'm shocked by this.

I think it's quite clear that most of us don't know where we stand on surcharges.

I'm going to look into it. I'll come back when I've found something definitive. It seems to me that some agents are using surcharges as a cash cow.

05-10-2005, 10:09
I had a phone call from the a while back compaining about a post I had made on here about them, they used my profile and their data base and put two and two together and phoned me at home re a thread on here[msnmad][msnmad]

They then went on to discuss another persons bokking with me too - Data Protection Act sprang to mind[msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

It was the one and only time I went through an agent - never again, I actually cancelled and lost my deposit (something that does not happen with Virgin).

As has been said above book direct[msnwink]