PDA

View Full Version : Watch your driving in Kissimmee

pbensur
24-05-2003, 17:32
If you are currently in Kissimmee or heading there, note the speed limit and drive carefully. . . especially if you see any homeless people ahead!!

Saw on CNN last night that police in Kissimmee are going undercover as homeless people in an effort to snag bad drivers - must have been a slow news day!!

porky
24-05-2003, 17:54
Wonder if they'll resort to washing windscreens.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Jacqui

neilandkay
24-05-2003, 20:32
Also heard that they are ticketing in communities for offences such as parking on the street facing the wrong way (you should park facing the direction the traffic travels) and blocking a sidewalk (park fully on the driveway or on the road - facing the correct direction of course!)

-Kay

blott
24-05-2003, 21:30
And also speeding on community roads...

Daniel Ramsey
25-05-2003, 21:31
Good! I hope it puts new respect in those reckless drivers that have little regard for others.

Lesley S
25-05-2003, 22:15
Every time we are over, there is always a Sherrif at the junction of Funie Steed Road, and the Formosa Blvd. This is the road that runs off the 192 - to Splendid China and the developments beyond.

Carla
27-05-2003, 00:20
quote:Originally posted by pbensur

If you are currently in Kissimmee or heading there, note the speed limit and drive carefully. . . especially if you see any homeless people ahead!!

Saw on CNN last night that police in Kissimmee are going undercover as homeless people in an effort to snag bad drivers - must have been a slow news day!!

They were particularly targetting red light runners as this causes so many accidents, a lot of which are fatal.

Biggus
27-05-2003, 02:20
When we visited Angelas' place in Esprit in April/May there was ALWAYS a highway patrol vehicle parked at the intersection/junction with H27, even when we returned from the baseball late on our last night (and then visited Wal-Mart just ONE LAST TIME at 3am!!) they were still there..... don't know why - made sure I minded my highway P&Q's though!!!

sterlingvillas
27-05-2003, 08:33
We spend about 4 months in Florida every year and the most consistent place we see people pulled over is on Hwy 192 West between I-4 and the south entrance to Disney and just west to where the traffic lights are before you reach the Holiday Inn. We warn our guests not to speed, but especially in that area in the evening.

chrisj
04-06-2003, 19:19
If I do something wrong like turn the wrong way or something silly, will I get a ticket or
do the police take into account your a silly english person driving and prone to make the
odd mistake.

Chris

blott
04-06-2003, 19:42
First, you have to do something silly in front of a patrol car in order to get caught out!

I don't suppose there's a tourist out there who hasn't done something silly at some time when they're driving but the least silly you can be, the better to avoid an accident...

Please, please concentrate and take care, especially about turning left and on entrance and exit ramps and make sure you're not exiting when you should be entrancing and vice versa!

chrisj
04-06-2003, 19:47
Blott

Thanks, Im sure we will be careful ,just last time I was there (1989) I managed to
turn the wrong way into a one way street. The officer was very kind about it when I
explained I got confused between east-west and left and right. I just wondered if they
were still as friendly.

Chris

kkevingo
04-06-2003, 23:44
YOU CAN TURN RIGHT ON A RED LIGHT , AS LONG AS YOU ARE SURE YOUR WAY IS CLEAR OF ON COMING TRAFFIC, BUT YOU CANT TURN RIGHT IF THE RED LIGHT SHOWS A RED ARROW POINTING RIGHT.
I MADE THE MISTAKE OF TURNING RIGHT ON A RED ARROW BY THE HOLIDAY INN NIKKI ON THE 192, WAS PULLED OVER BY THE HIGHWAY PATROL WHO JUST TOLD ME WERE I WAS GOING WRONG AND TOLD ME TO BE CAREFUL IN FUTURE.

pbensur
05-06-2003, 00:52
I think the police are trying to pick up reckless drivers and can for the most part recognize someone who has genuinely made a mistake. The "right turn on red" thing can be tricky - many intersections do not allow you to do this and you will see a sign saying "No Turn On Red". So do this with caution.

chrisj
05-06-2003, 01:30
Thanks Patty

its just been 13 years since I was in Florida, and then the police seemed to understand
that we were just making a silly mistake, that plus our accent showed we didnt have a
clue. To be honest the few times (yes only a few) we were stopped They were very
helpful once they realised we were tourists. One officer that pulled us over in 1986
in Tampa remained a good friend and he now lives in New York and we keep in contact
on a regular basis

Chris

pbensur
05-06-2003, 01:53
Well that is an interesting situation - becoming friends with the cop who pulled you over!! That's really nice! Seeing as the area is loaded with tourists, I think you will find that most of the policemen will be very helpful! I'm sure it will be wonderful to return after 13 years - have fun, Chris and don't worry too much!!

chrisj
05-06-2003, 02:30
Thanks

Im sure we will have fun, have 2 kids in tow now and my mum. From memory the meals were huge
and I have pictures of the steaks and ribs etc, the roads were quiet and it was so cheap. I
still have some receipts that showed gas at 50c and in those days you got $2 aprrox per £1

Now I know it would have changed in 13 years, but it will be great to see it all again. I remember Kissimmee being a very small place. There was a place on Orange Blossom drive called
Wings and Curls, now that was a great place to eat. Anyway this thread was about driving - sorry

Chris

florida4sun
10-06-2003, 03:14
Depends oon the officer. Whastever you do dont plead ignorane f local laws as it really ticks them off. Simply say sorry and be polite, worked for more more thna once.

quote:Originally posted by chrisj

If I do something wrong like turn the wrong way or something silly, will I get a ticket or
do the police take into account your a silly english person driving and prone to make the
odd mistake.

Chris

chrisj
10-06-2003, 03:51
Thanks

I agree its better to just say sorry and be polite, I think if they see you are sincere
and that is was a genuine error you are more than likely to get a telling off rather
than a fine

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 04:55
Just remember to stay in your car....and let him/her come to your window.....I found the police a lot easier on people in Orlando than they are here.....if you run a stop sign on the Cape...I think they hang you or something.....Hehehehehehehehe.....thats the joys of having next to no crime....ever little thing becomes a big thing......would I have it any other way...hell now....I love being safe.....[8D]

chrisj
10-06-2003, 12:25
I have read about staying in the car, problem is in England you tend to automatically
get out or else they think your upto something. Your right about them being hot becuase
it means everyone else should be safer