PDA

View Full Version : setting up my own business

papaya
26-09-2005, 00:52
hi my family and i are moving to florida next year i was wondering if anybody had set up there own business rather than buying one. i currently run my own bathroom and kitchen installing business and would like to start my own showroom and go on from there.
if anyone can help or has got advice i would be grateful[?]

CERICROWLEY
26-09-2005, 01:14
You can go over on an L1a, but your existing business in the UK must keep trading while you are in the states for at least 7 years. You will need to speak to an immigration broker. I can give you a name of someone

florida4sun
26-09-2005, 03:16
Make sure you you look deeply into this. You would need to be state certified and licensed in plumbing, electrics and tiling. This usually means a proven track record of around 3 years in the USA, plus the relevant USA qualifications. It can very frustrating. I knew a very good carpenter who was fully qualified but he was unable to work without going back to college in the USA (his UK qualifications were ignored). After one year at night school he was duly allowed to do first fixed. Consequently he gave up through frustration and moved back to the UK.
There is a way around by employing a 'qualified manager' but this is expensive and/or means giving up a share of the busines.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by papaya
hi my family and i are moving to florida next year i was wondering if anybody had set up there own business rather than buying one. i currently run my own bathroom and kitchen installing business and would like to start my own showroom and go on from there.
if anyone can help or has got advice i would be grateful[?]
[/quote]

esprit
26-09-2005, 06:38
Not quite correct, Ceri, the UK business needs to keeo trading until you have adjusted status to green card, and that can be achieved in way less than 7 years which is the maximum amount of time you can actually be in the US on an L1.

CERICROWLEY
26-09-2005, 11:27
Thanks Julie

I know you can a excellent knowledge of things like this, We are currently in the process of setting up an L1a, but it finding the right business for hubby first as his business here is disabled refurbishments, and it's like Martin has said, the permits involved, are very heady duty, so we need to buy an existing business with qualified employees already, while he gets his qualifications up to date. But they are few and far between, We are still hopeful and will keep pluggin away.

Julie if you do happen to hear of anyone that needs an invester!!!

esprit
28-09-2005, 07:50
You dont need to buy the same sort of business as you run in the UK on L1, the US subsidiary can run something totally different. That bears consideration if your qualifications arnt valid in the US. true you are covered if one employee is qualified but employees can leave....

Sueb
19-10-2005, 16:02
Hi,

I wish you the best of luck with your proposed move and business we are looking into moving to Florida but with two children aged 12 and 14 it is hard. I just want a new life for my children and myself before I get too old to enjoy it!

Sue