PDA

View Full Version : driving in Florida

patrick payne
17-09-2005, 00:46
Hi

I am going to florida in four weeks time. we have already rented a car, but as i have never driven in america does anyone have any tips for me.

thanks

Paddy

Jo
17-09-2005, 01:00
You'll be surprised how easy it is . With the wide roads there is so much space compared to over here. The speed limits are lower too.

You will probably have an automatic car too. this doesn't take long to get used to - you have more of a problem when you go home and keep stalling.

There is another section for driving tips here

www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum_32.asp

Fourdents
17-09-2005, 01:03
I tend to stay in the middle lane on the I4 as the inside lane tends to disappear up a slip road.
Watch out for the exit numbers on the I4 as a lot of them do not correspond with the maps !
Have you ever driven in Europe ?
Speed limits definitely need to be observed. Try doing a search on the forum "driving" that should pull up something[msnsmile][msnsmile]

Linda

Ray&Sarah
17-09-2005, 01:05
You will be fine, in alot of ways its easier than driving over here, don't come across many roundabouts and you can turn right on a red traffic light as long as there is nothing coming.[msnsmile2]

Fourdents
17-09-2005, 01:06
JO, you are a star finding the section on driving tips

Linda

becbecs
17-09-2005, 01:07
Driving in Florida is completely different from over here in the UK, very laid back and no rushing. Just returned from Key Largo 3 weeks ago and used the Florida Turnpike all the way back to Orlando, Not one road work or traffic jam, the only hold up was the amount of toll booths around Miami, must have gone through about 8 in a space of about 10 miles.

Fourdents
17-09-2005, 01:13
Have small change for the road tolls handy

Paddy.....How is the DIET going ? or is that a banned word !!

Started the jogging plan yet.....got to get in shape for the Gourmet Fiesta ![msnwink][msnwink]

Linda

wrpac00
17-09-2005, 02:22
Just remember if someone indicates THEY WILL MOVE ACROSS IN FRONT OF YOU. You will soon get used to it and start doing it yourself.

Not quite sure where Linda has been driving but hardly anyone adheres to the speed limit.

Always carry your driving license with you.

If you are involved in a minor accident, get to a public place before stopping and exchanging details.

You can turn right on a red light if the road is clear unless there is a red filter arrow.

Personally I find it easier and more relaxed to drive in the US than over here.

Jill
17-09-2005, 11:14
I know it sounds obvious, but it has caught some people out in the past, remember that traffic is coming from the opposite direction to what you are used to.

dolphinv
17-09-2005, 15:55
remember to double check both ways, and be carful for the first few days about which side of the road u turn onto at major junctions!! We found ourself on wrong side of road twice on last visit (two different drivers)but i did it turning out of seaworld carpark opps[msnembarrased]

patrick payne
18-09-2005, 01:12
thanks for the great tips, ive managed Europe with few problems and from your comments Florida should be no worse.

Thanks

Paddy

p.s. Linda the diet is still in the planning stages.

flyrr100
18-09-2005, 17:27
The exit numbers on the freeway system correspond to the mile marker you are at. Or in other words, if you are at exit 50, you are 50 miles into the State you are travelling through.

You can turn right at a red light. If you don't the cars behind you will start honking you! Just stop, look, and turn. Unless there's a sign 'NO TURN ON RED'. Then don't!

In Flolrida always keep a pile of quarters in the car for tolls.

Don't speed. It's not worth ruining your vacation.

Don't drive after you've been drinking. It's taken real seriously here. You WILL end up in jail.

We pass on both sides on the freeway here. Whatever lane is fastest wins! Officially of course the right lane is the slow lane.

All exits off the freeway will tell you where the nearest gas stations are. Also the nearest eating and lodging places.

The speed limit at WDW is 45. The local cops love to catch speeders as they drive into the parks.

If you see a red STOP sign, STOP! Look around and go. If it's an intersection you take turns. So, look who got there first. It's a system that usually works. A flashing red light is a stop sign. A flashing amber light is a caution light. You don't have to stop, but look out for crossing traffic.

Florida doesn't have many car pool lanes. They are far left lanes identified with white diamonds. You can only use them if you have two or more people in the car. Used for busy commuting routes.

The usual freeway speed limit is 65. Most people go with the flow. If the flow is 75, go at 75.

If a school bus stops, you stop. You'll see rad light flashing all over the bus. You stop. Period.

If you see an emergency vehicle behind you with his lights flashing, pull over. If he's comming the other way also pull over. But if he's on the other side of a median you can continue.

See, easy! Have a great vacation.

wrpac00
18-09-2005, 19:14
flyrr100, what roads do the distance correspond to the exit markers? It's not on interstates is it?

flyrr100
19-09-2005, 23:46
All interstates have mile markers. At every mile you'll see a small sign with a number. That's the number of miles you have to go before the next State Line. So,if you are on I.95 and are turning off exit 50 in N. Caroline, you are at mile marker 50.
Cool huh?

wrpac00
20-09-2005, 15:12
That doesn't work for I4 does it?

becbecs
20-09-2005, 15:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
All interstates have mile markers. At every mile you'll see a small sign with a number. That's the number of miles you have to go before the next State Line. So,if you are on I.95 and are turning off exit 50 in N. Caroline, you are at mile marker 50.
Cool huh?
[/quote]

Well you learn something new everyday. [clap]

dolphinv
20-09-2005, 19:21
New exit numbers on I4 correspond with miles old numbers don't.................On the school bus pointer, do u have to stop on both side of the road if its single lane each way with just a white line?

flyrr100
21-09-2005, 07:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dolphinv
On the school bus pointer, do u have to stop on both side of the road if its single lane each way with just a white line?

[/quote]

If there is no median you stop. Whatever way you are going. With a median keep going.

Macka
21-09-2005, 19:30
Also, Interstates and Highways that run North to south are odd numbers, e.g. Hwy 27.

Even numbers run east to west e.g I4

If they run diagonally, theres a rule for that too, but I can't remember how that works, my brain hurts.[xx(]