PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC for Internet Access

MTP
19-05-2003, 02:46
After accessing our e-mail from various different locations on previous stays I began to debete buying a laptop or pocket PC to use on our last visit and I almost spent $500+ on a Compaq pocket PC. Glad I didn't as just after we came back Dell launched their Pocket PC at about half the price of Compaq's!

We bought the Dell!

It has a compact flash slot and I know that you can get Compact Flash modems for about £60.

Does anyone have any experience of using this kind of set up. What ISP do they use? As we are staying in someone elses house I would prefer if it had 800 dial up. What is surfing like in this kind of set-up?

Any hints and tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Euan

Harmony
19-05-2003, 12:19
Hi Euan,

Yes you can buy a compact flash modem for your Dell. We used one on our last visit and it worked quite well. Unfortunately the ISP we used has go out of business and we now have a PC with internet access at our villa that we and our guests use. I found my ISP by searching on the net for "Cheap internet access". Quite alot offer a service for PDA use and a free local call number.

I have to say it was a bit of a bind trying to answer e-mails on the PDA with just the on screen keyboard. You really have to keep your e-mails short, but the system does work.

Good Luck.

Jeff