PDA

View Full Version : Express pass

dodgey memory
15-09-2005, 16:51
There is also a rumour that Universal are withdrawing the Express pass facility on their tickets in favour of the ones you have to buy.[:O]

dolphinv
15-09-2005, 17:16
You can still use the express pass terminals in the normal way, Q up get ur fast pass ticket and return and time printed. They are also selling express pass+ which when you buy allows you to ride once on each fast pass ride without having to get a seperate ticket. They are limited in numbers and sell out quite early in the day!

jgrain
17-10-2005, 03:15
I am over in Florida now and have just left Universal today.I can confirm today that the fast pass system at Universal was not in operation.Last time I came here you could do it like disney.This time Universal wanted to charge me $15 each plus tax to use the express pass.Did not bother thought it was a rip off to pay to jump the line.
Universal take note off Disney

ellie
17-10-2005, 03:21
Good heavens, that is a blow! Fancy charging more for a fastpass. Wonder if Disney will follow suit.
[msncry][msnsad][gun]

Steve and Dawn
01-12-2005, 03:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jgrain
I am over in Florida now and have just left Universal today.I can confirm today that the fast pass system at Universal was not in operation.Last time I came here you could do it like disney.This time Universal wanted to charge me $15 each plus tax to use the express pass.Did not bother thought it was a rip off to pay to jump the line.
Universal take note off Disney
[/quote]

We have just got back too and that is right. I complained about it to customer services and he said the express machines would be removed completely soon. He also hinted that all theme parks will be doing the same soon. Although Disney are still operating the same. The cost is $15 per park! So if you want to hop between IOA and Universal it will cost you $25. Work that out for a family of 4! Some dyas when we went in it wasn't needed as the lines were ok. Other times it was long waits as I gather most people have the same attitude of refusing to pay. You would see the odd express pass holder going through but almost everyone was in the regular line. Just another way of getting more money out of us.

Semper
01-12-2005, 06:29
We have also recently returned. We were all ready aware of the Express Pass Plus before traveling and had decided to get them if the parks looked busy. Worked out to $63 per park for a family of four.

We went to Universal first and it did not look too busy so thought we would try without buying the passes. We ended up queuing for 50 minutes to get on the Mummy!! We got off the ride and went straight to the nearest shop selling the passes. For the rest of the day we enjoyed a virtually queue free day, The Mummy got a further 3 visits and each time we by-passed 40min+ queues (this was when the park was not massively busy). We went to IOA the next day and got the passes straight away, again a good queue free day.

However, remember there are conditions on the tickets, i.e one ticket use per ride, only valid for one day in the park they were purchased from. On the days we visited the tickets were not always scanned at each ride (hence being able to make multiple visits). I guess this was because the parks were not very busy so it didn't really matter. Also with the less popular rides the fast pass queue was actually longer!! ET was a good example, hardly anyone in the standby queue but quite a few people clutching their fast passes (bought them going to use them!!).

I would say the passes are well worth getting. They bought us time, we found we could relax more, it all felt less rushed from previous visits and they allowed us to get on the best rides several times. This wouldn't have been possible without them or even on the old express pass system. With the old system you could only realistically get a couple of passes a day.

DO NOT buy these if the park is quiet!! Obvious I know but we went back to the universal parks on the day of out flight back. Both parks were very quiet and we managed to get on all the main rides in both parks by 3pm, Obviously without the express tickets.

Also there are only a limited number of passes sold each day so if you do intend getting them get in early. It means you will have to judge how busy you think the park will be.

Yes it is a way to get more money out of us. But the old express system had its own limitations and all though it was free it would only get you on to a couple of rides and it meant a lot of going backwards and forwards to get to the rides at the right time. It is a little unfair that they are ditching the old system all together though.

dodgey memory
14-02-2006, 12:46
Universal have now officially announced in yesterday's Orlando Sentinel they have stopped the express pass system. You can however buy Express Pass Plus but that limits you to only one use for each attraction. This seems to be yet another way of geting even more money out of us and to my mind makes Disney more attractive. Lets hope they don't follow.

pieman790
14-02-2006, 14:54
I personally would not pay $60/£35 for a family of 4 just to queue jump unless it saved me having to go back to Universal for a second day as i was unable to do all the rides i wanted on the first day.

djdigitald
26-02-2006, 21:22
We refused to pay for it when we went to IOA as we found it a total rip off. The fact that you are paying more than disney to get in as well just goes to show how much universal is trying to rip people off. We were not happy:(

Val
17-04-2006, 21:05
Just returned from Florida and although we went to Disney did not "do" Universal, but had friends who did. Fass passes gone altogether and now the price for the Passes for the day has gone up to $40 each, so in addition to the $9 parking they paid an extra $200 for the passes (family of 5) that was on top of the parking fee and before they bought any food. It was their first trip and the comment was their last "Just too expensive".
Just hope that Disney does not follow.

Val

Pegasus928
19-04-2006, 15:09
They are also doing wrist bands at Universal that allow you to eat all day for a set price.
We thought this was a bit misleading because behind the stand selling these wrist bands is a list of all the big eating places around Universal (NASCAR, NBA, Hard Rock - to name but a few) but when you start to look into it there are only actually about 3 restaraunts in each park that you can actually eat at using this scheme. I think it included drinks all day but can't remember exactly. The price for these wrist bands was just under $20 for use at one of the parks, though you can also buy one that allows you to eat at both for a bit more. (maybe someone else could confirm the prices - my memory is a little foggy at the best of times)
If you plan on staying there all day and having breakfast, lunch and dinner then you probably would save money but we only intended having the one meal so didn't bother.
Pegasus

chrizzy100
19-04-2006, 17:39
We go to both parks about 6 times each trip.....mostly just for dinner...or a walk....we go to FL about 5 times a year...never used a fast pass yet....and never found the need for one...done both parks a few times in one day...I don't do the costers...but we go with people who do....you don't need the fast passes....not even at Christmas...

Peppermint
19-04-2006, 22:50
But maybe at Easter!? A guest of ours who has just returned told me today he will never go back to Universal, having had many successful visits in the past. They didn't have express passes and the waits were all about 2 hours. Because of this he said they only queued for 3 rides.

I'm personally very disappointed because we had planned to go on our next trip (which will be peak season) but $40 each x 6 people PER DAY on top of entrance rates does seem excessive.

I wonder if longterm it will backfire and returning visitor numbers will dwindle and word of mouth will put people off?? Or have Universal found a perfect sheme to rake in the cash??

Susan J
24-04-2006, 12:36
Well at least they give you a chance to get on the rides - some queus in Disney were stupid over Easter- got to EPCOT at 10am one morning - FP's all gone, line for Testrack was 170 mins stand by all day long - soaring was hours too - I had a snap at Guest services on my way out -" well ma'am, Easter is the busiest season" " Well Sir, I replied, So what you aresaying is you feel free to overfill the park just so you can take plenty of money whilst people are in town? " we only fill to capacity figures" he said " And who makes those up?" I replied and walked out.
With Universal they are splitting into first and second class- personally I think everyone should gripe about it - use the power of the people to bring back the enjoyment and take away the military planning!:D

Tonish
24-04-2006, 14:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Posted - 24 Apr 2006 : 08:36:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well at least they give you a chance to get on the rides - some queus in Disney were stupid over Easter- got to EPCOT at 10am one morning - FP's all gone, line for Testrack was 170 mins stand by all day long - soaring was hours too - I had a snap at Guest services on my way out -" well ma'am, Easter is the busiest season" " Well Sir, I replied, So what you aresaying is you feel free to overfill the park just so you can take plenty of money whilst people are in town? " we only fill to capacity figures" he said " And who makes those up?" I replied and walked out.
With Universal they are splitting into first and second class- personally I think everyone should gripe about it - use the power of the people to bring back the enjoyment and take away the military planning![/quote]

We couldn't get on Test Track or Soarin last year in August because of the long queues. The comment on "fill to capacity figures" is interesting - Has anyone ever been turned away at the gate because the park is full? I've never known it to happen.

I like Universal and usually go twice on each visit to Orlando. Last year we arrived as the park was opening and were able to do all of the big rides straight away, with no waiting at all. It actually masde it less interesting for the kids, because there was no build up to each ride - we went through the ride entrances so quick that they missed out on a lot of it.

tawny
24-04-2006, 14:16
Hi Tonish
I have been turned away from Disney MK at 10am but it was xmas eve. The parks were all very very busy. we got into EPCOT and then tried MK later we never managed.

tawny
24-04-2006, 14:17
sorry should have said we never managed to get in that day.

CarolAnn
24-04-2006, 18:29
Cripes Didn't realise Disney was quite THAT busy when we were over[msneek] Universal parks and SEaworld were sure busy, but we found the single rider option worked fabulously for us:D We never waited longer than about 30 mins for anything we wanted to go on, mind it was busy, no doubt about that!![msncool]

wilfy
24-04-2006, 19:37
We went to Universal IOA on the Thursday before easter and only had 10 minute waits at the hulk, dr doom and spiderman. This was arriving at opening time, and we returned on the friday after Easter in the evening (about 7pm) and again only a 20 minute wait. Cannot vouch for the original park, but the crowd's for the fireworks at the original park were relatively small.

freddiehollie
11-06-2006, 22:48
Universal will do anything to extract that last dollar from your pocket.
Park tickets are not cheap, Car Parking not cheap and now they have the
nerve to charge to get on the rides when you get in "EXPRESS PLUS"
my backside. Recently returned from there we refused to get "EXPRESS PLUS"
ticket. Parks not that busy we noticed main lines 10/15 minute wait (slightly
longer on newer rides) "EXPRESS PLUS" lines 10/15 minute wait. Leave your money
in your pocket just plan your days there, if long que walk past and try later.
Hope Disney never do this!!:(

sammibabe
13-06-2006, 00:40
Hi, just returned this morning and really dissappointed with the express system now. After saving for us all to go (5 of us and 2 children classed as adults) just cannot afford and will not pay the extra. The only trouble we found is that Universal cannot do their standby times accurately. Disney can manage it so I cannot see why Universal can't get it right. We queued for Men in Black time suppossed to be 45 mins. At least double that. Talking to someone the next day. Time suppossed to be 60 mins but she waited for over 2 hours and ended up paying for her locker.

PeteF
13-06-2006, 22:18
Last Thursday the express pass add-on was $50 a head and we were told it will vary in price with the season. It was $50 due to the "holidays". There were quite a few American schoolkids and school groups in but the longest wait on most rides (non express) was only 15-20 minutes. Should be interesting to see what they charge come July/ August/Xmas etc.

jovi
14-06-2006, 00:17
We go July next year $$$$$[msnmad][msncry]

freddiehollie
17-06-2006, 00:27
Don't pay Vicky. If no one paid the extra they might get the message. I think its wrong to charge extra when you have paid to get in, in the first place. What next? Disney charging extra to use all the underground passage ways round Magic Kingdom!!!:(:(:(

jovi
22-06-2006, 12:31
I really don't want to pay any extra, I think I'll wait til we get there and make our minds up then.

What a bad idea Universal!![msnmad][msnmad][gun][gun][confused]

Dopeysfriend
07-07-2006, 16:26
I've bought passes for next week at $50 each. These cover both parks. It means we can do both parks in one day knowing we will get on every ride. Doing both parks in one day obviously saves a day's park admission which covers the cost of the express pass. It also means we have an extra day to fit something else in!

I don't agree with the charge for the express pass but have paid it because it suits my circumstances.

Christine

Susan J
08-07-2006, 04:06
ist and second class rides now? Nope, lets all strike with our wallets, until they sort it out!!

Pegasus928
08-07-2006, 04:34
When we were there the express queues were just as long as the normal queues on some rides.
We also found that we managed to get on the rides and attractions that we wanted without having to spend all day there anyway - but I'm sure that might be harder to achieve in the summer/xmas periods.
Pegasus

chrizzy100
08-07-2006, 04:55
We do IOA at Christmas without a fast pass...never used one at any park...and we go all different times of year...

Dopeysfriend
25-07-2006, 01:43
I've got to say it was well worth the money for the express passes on the day I chose. It was a rainy day so I think a lot of people chose to do Universal. The ride times were hitting 60 to 75 minutes. The express passes meant walk ons for everything.

We didn't have to rush from ride to ride to join the lines. It was much more relaxed. I would do it again without any hesitation.

We got both parks done in one day and couldn't possibly have done this without the express passes.

Christine

wrightbuxton
30-07-2006, 00:14
We visited Universal Studios on Wednesday and the price of the Express pass was $35 for the day.

We refused and found the park really quiet - the biggest queue was 30 mins for the Jimmy Neutron ride.

We literally walked onto all the other rides[msnsmile]

Julie

rainyday
30-07-2006, 15:10
Our visit to Islands of Adventure was the most miserable experience of our Florida holiday (and that includes part of a night sleeping on the floor of Miami Int Airport!) - it was Easter and the park was jammed. We only managed to get one fastpass ride and the queues for the rest were over 60 minutes (and as one poster has said, Universal seem to be hopeless at estimating times - the 60 minutes advertised for Dr Doom was closer to 1hr 30) - the only readily available attractions were ones you had to pay for (rock-climbing, arcade games etc.) which was really annoying. General sense was that the park was over-filled and there was no way you could get value for the entry charge - express pass didn't seem like a good option with 7 of us. We are planning on going back to Florida (IoA was really the only blackspot - the rest was fab) and the kids don't feel they have 'done' IoA yet so want to go back and the REALLY annoying thing for me is that I know we'll fork out for the express passes this time. I'll hate it and resent it but I know we'll do it - but IoA/US definitely won't be a repeater park - it'll be this once, do everything and never again.

freddiehollie
30-07-2006, 19:44
I get the impression that when the parks are quiet the Express Passes are cheap to try and
tempt you into buying something you don't need. When busy they are very expensive because you
will have wasted your entry ticket as you can't get on much, so fork out for the passes.
Come on Universal, sort it out!!:(:(. Stop being so greedy and put your customers FIRST!!
You will NEVER!!! catch Disney at this rate.
It appears that Universal have got the poorest value of all the parks at the moment [msnmad] stop just chasing the next Dollar and look after your customers before you loose us all [V][V]

wrpac00
08-08-2006, 07:55
From my experiences of the past 2 weeks it is not worth buying the Expresss pass. When we went to IOA we arrived just before 9am and didn't queue for a thing, we had done everything (all the major attractions) by 12:50.

Went to Universal today and it was basically the same story, most of the rides we didn't have to wait at all. The Express pass DOES NOT get you to the front of the queue, it only says you should get on within 15 mins, most times it joins the queue about half way along.

jackie greaves
08-08-2006, 21:16
Thats worth knowing Paul, we are out in 2 weeks time and usually buy the fastpast. If the parks are that quiet we won't bother, save some money for other things[drinkbeer]

wrpac00
09-08-2006, 00:51
I would expect them to even quieter then as most of the US schools will have gone back by then.

dawn
09-08-2006, 03:43
Would agree with Paul, we visited Universal last week and the longest queue was 45 minutes, can manage that, and would have been annoyed if we had forked out for Express passes. Incidentaly we went to Animal Kingdom today, arrived about 1000 and queued 30 mins for Everest. The queues aren't bad at all[msnsmile2]