PDA

View Full Version : car seats

louty24
18-05-2003, 20:27
Hi there
It will be my first time in Orlando Florida and I have three children, two of which have a booster seat they are 5 and 2. I wondered if I need to hire or can I take our own seats. What are the legal requirements?
Many thanks

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-05-2003, 21:19
You can take your own seats and use them - will save you a small fortune as the car hire companies will charge you something like $5 per day per seat to rent them to you.

We always do this. Also we've never been happy with the car hire baby seats as they do not look very rigid to us and are much happier to use our own seats.

pbensur
21-05-2003, 18:24
Another option if you would rather not haul the baby seats would be to rent the mini-vans with the built-in car seats. We went this route when two of our children were around the ages of 2 and 4. This worked out real well and I was impressed with the design. Just make sure you arrange for this in advance and let them know this is required!

mm69340
21-05-2003, 18:27
Also- check with the Airline as some are regulated for use on airplanes and then you can just take them on board and use them there too.

smblair
21-05-2003, 20:38
I agree with Patty. We took our 2 year old's car seat with us to Florida 2 weeks ago only to discover that our hired mini van (7 seater Dodge Caravan) came equipped with 2 built in car seats (they fold down from within the seats). We ended up using this as opposed to our own car seat as it was so easy to use and completely safe.

sammibabe
26-05-2003, 00:07
Last time we went my we went with some friends. Not something everyone would want to do (and we didn't know about built in car seats - I've just read about those) but he and one of our friends went off to pick up the car leaving women and children at airport. Then they went and bought a car seat which worked out a lot cheaper than renting one. It came back with us and now lives in my husband's car which saves swopping seats about here.

netmum
27-05-2003, 01:35
we have done it different ways.

For our 2 year old we took his car seat on the plane and used it in orlando. It was great on the plane as he was used to sitting in it and was happy to do so. Only problem with this option is that you do end up with your hands full.

We have also bought car seats whilst there as they are much cheaper than hiring, and you can throw them in the hold when flying home. If you had problems getting from the car hire place to the shop, you could hire a car seat for a day or two.

Hadn't really looked into the option of vehicles with seats built in as there are only four of us and the extra hire costs didn't warrant it.