PDA

View Full Version : jaws???????

LiesaAnna
13-09-2005, 22:44
Universal Studios is scaling back the operation of its Jaws attraction -- one of the park's original rides -- keeping it open only for peak periods and special occasions for the rest of the year, a spokesman said Monday.

Spokesman Tom Schroder said the attraction will be on a modified schedule to steer guests toward newer rides, like Shrek 4-D and Revenge of the Mummy, and also to allow for basic maintenance.

'Jaws has a very dedicated following,' he said. 'But many people have yet to experience the newer rides.'

The change in schedule will not result in the loss of jobs among the park's full-time, part-time or seasonal workers, Schroder said.

'Team members will be reassigned to other responsibilities,' he said. 'They were told of the changes on Monday.'

The ride will close starting Thursday and is expected to return to a full schedule next year, though no date has been set yet, Schroder said..

'This is not uncommon in our industry and makes good business sense,' he said. 'In the past, we made similar operating changes and staggered the opening times for some rides to achieve efficiencies.'

The ride will be open at Thanksgiving and Christmas and also for special events, like after-hours events, that already have been scheduled, he said.

Guests will be informed of the schedule change by signs in front of the attraction and also by Universal staffers, who will be able to recommend other rides.

Jaws is one of several of the park's original attractions, including Earthquake, that have been in service since Universal Studios opened in 1990, Schroder said.

'It's been operating successfully for many years,' he said.

However, a couple of the original rides, Jaws among them, didn't work properly at first and had to be rebuilt.

[msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry]i love that ride!!

becbecs
13-09-2005, 23:27
Did Jaws a few weeks ago, thought it was looking a bit tired. Good though. We thought that certain area's of Universal were in need of a face lift.

Mummy Ride & Shrek 4D get the big thumbs up from us.

solanasunshine
14-09-2005, 15:29
Must say that we thought that Jaws was a bit rubbish but put it down to the fact that the driver(?) of our boat spoke so quickly that absolutely no-one on there could understand what she was saying![msntongue]

Also I suppose that compared to all the new rides it did seem very outdated.

dodgey memory
15-09-2005, 16:43
Me too Liesa it's one of the increasingly few rides that you can all go on as a family, even the scardy cats! Not every one wants to have the **** scared out of them on The Mummy. Not happy.[msnmad]

Ruth
15-09-2005, 17:09
My kids love this ride (and have now watched all the Jaws movies and love them too) so they will be disappointed:(

eagleydo
15-09-2005, 20:24
I loved Jaws, if they want to close some tired old uns wy not go fo ET. Sorry if you disagree but for all of us this is a capital NO WAY and we avoid it like the plague.

sundowner
16-09-2005, 12:10
I love Jaws too. Mind you after 15 years it probably does need to be freshened up. They should keep it anyway, they have said themselves it is a popular ride - hope they just 'refresh' it again and not give us a 'blow your brains out new experience' it just would not be the same.

dolphinv
16-09-2005, 14:23
Maybe its the high fuel costs that have them closing it[msnwink]after all they burn some amount of gas!!

LiesaAnna
16-09-2005, 14:34
yes i agree, maybe they should "do it up" change it around so we have different "unexpected" bits!!

eagleydo
16-09-2005, 14:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dolphinv
Maybe its the high fuel costs that have them closing it[msnwink]after all they burn some amount of gas!!
[/quote]

Not sure that the Lady who worked on this ride would be pleased if she knew you were talking about her private problems, so publicly.:D:D[msnwink]

Benny
16-09-2005, 17:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dolphinv
[/quote]

lol that would be funny but then again,im sure they can afford it witht he cash they bring in.

Im sure they use piro though.

blott
16-09-2005, 18:19
Oh no, first King Kong and now Jaws! How come they keep picking on all my fave rides, it's not fair! [msncry] These rides are ideal for the freak out at coasters amongst us - me being the numero uno for that.

Eagleydo wash your mouth out! [msnoo] ET is yet another one of my faves - if you haven't been on it, how do you know it's no good? It is good, yes it's good! [msnsmile2]

eagleydo
16-09-2005, 19:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Eagleydo wash your mouth out! [msnoo] ET is yet another one of my faves - if you haven't been on it, how do you know it's no good? It is good, yes it's good! [msnsmile2]
[/quote]
Been on it! When my daughter was younger she insisted we all had to go on. The boys still moan now 4 years later. She swears this isnt true but it is, she did insist and the boys moaned continously.[msncry][}:)]

Sally D
17-09-2005, 01:13
I liked jaws too and ET, twister is the one that should go.

blott
17-09-2005, 03:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sally D
I liked jaws too and ET, twister is the one that should go.[/quote]Yep, I'd vote for that!

eagleydo
17-09-2005, 18:45
I love Twister, bought the little twister torch as well. Always visit this show.

cheekychops05
17-09-2005, 21:49
I've just got back as of yesterday and went on Jaws last week, I thought it was very good. Its quite surprising they have decided to do that his year when its the 30th Year. Although i agree with LeisAnna about the fuel. The first day I arrived one Gas station had the petrol as 5.00 dollars.

As of the 16th is was 2.79 dollars

Magical Dreams
17-12-2005, 04:57
Still closed at this time!

Would have loved to have riden it again, not been on it for a couple of years!

chrizzy100
17-12-2005, 05:33
I'm getting a bit fed up of rides like Kong going...........this is just the first step to closing another ride most people can go on......

Paula D-S
17-12-2005, 10:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I'm getting a bit fed up of rides like Kong going...........this is just the first step to closing another ride most people can go on......
[/quote]

I was upset they got rid of Kong but the Mummy is a brilliant ride. Jaws did look a little tired when we were over in June, I think he does need a bit of a makeover.
Found Twister very disappointing.

LiesaAnna
17-12-2005, 14:29
i wonder if they will make another king kong now the film is out and looks to be a very popular one? what was it? it was being dismantled the first time we ever went to florida i think

Ray&Sarah
19-12-2005, 21:26
You never know Liesa they might do, my son went and saw the film last night and loved it.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
21-02-2006, 18:00
February 17, 2006
Jaws back in the swim at Uni Studios Florida

Universal Studios Florida has refurbished its Jaws ride and put the stalwart attraction back on full-time duty after patrons “passionately” lobbied for its return, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports.

In September, the Orlando park reduced Jaws' operation to occasional afterhours events and holiday crowds.

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said workers replaced one shark's attack motor, modified the flame effects and did touch-up work on the ride that opened in 1990 but needed to be rebuilt in 1993. He said Jaws will remain at least through the end of summer.

"We made the decision to reopen Jaws because our guests told us, rather passionately, that they wanted us to," Schroder told the newspaper.

Steven Smith, a former Universal employee and now operations manager at theme park consulting firm Baker Leisure Group, told the Sun-Sentinel that the ride is valuable to Universal because of its capacity.

At 2,500 people an hour, Jaws is phenomenal by thrill-ride standards, he said. A typical major ride at most parks would do well to handle 1,800 people an hour, Smith added.

bigjack123
22-02-2006, 07:45
I queued for nearly an hour to get on Jaws yesterday (monday)! lodsa people wanting to get on it so still very popular but IMHO not worth the rubber burnt off my trainers waiting in line for the hour!

LiesaAnna
22-02-2006, 11:14
still looking forward to riding jaws again!!