PDA

View Full Version : New Airport Terminal at Fort Myers

Katys Grandad
13-09-2005, 05:20
Flew into the new terminal at Fort Myers last weekend (it opened on Friday).

Obviously more modern and they no longer have the awful Manchester Airport style carpets. It is all new tile with floor to ceiling windows giving a sapcious and bright feel to the place. More modern gates and desks and the inevitable new eateries and shops but, on the whole, doesn't seem to be a lot bigger that the old one -which is now closed.

Biggest change that I could see is the car rental procedure. Instead of the shuttle buses, the rental companies are in a huge multi-storey building next to the terminal. You have quite a walk to the facility and then to your car, particularly if, like me, you have used Dollar who are right at the far end of the building. I'm pretty sure it now takes longer than it did even though you don't have the bus ride. I could also see that it would be a long walk back to the desk if you found a problem with the car.

Finally, it is now a much longer drive to the main highway (Daniels Parkway) because a new road has been built. The airlines recommend that you add 15-20 minutes to your journey time because of these changes.

As I haven't flown out of there yet I'm not in position to judge the check-in and security differences just yet.