PDA

View Full Version : Silly Me! I should know better!

CarolAnn
07-09-2005, 19:09
Had an issue when organising a 'cot' for a guest recently, the poor girl didn't understand me until we eventually used the word 'crib', it is not like I didn't know that was the US preferred term, I just wasn't thinking, but interesting that us Brits do seem to know more of the US terms than the other way round isn't it?

Ray&Sarah
07-09-2005, 20:11
Its quite amazing how many differences there actually are isn't it Carol.[msnoo][msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
07-09-2005, 20:42
I think in the US is a cot is equivalent to a camp bed. I heard recently on the news about the number of "cots" required for the refugees evacuated to Houston.
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Ray&Sarah
07-09-2005, 21:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I think in the US is a cot is equivalent to a camp bed. I heard recently on the news about the number of "cots" required for the refugees evacuated to Houston.
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
[/quote]

Think you are correct Liz, we had a guest ask for if we had a cot and we talked at cross purposes for a while as I thought they mean't for a baby.[msnembarrased][msnsmile2]

dawn
08-09-2005, 01:44
Me too - I remember a conversation with a guest, and in the end explained it as one of those fold out play pens that doubles as a bed for baby. She understood exactly what I meant then[msnscared]

DiannaUK
08-09-2005, 01:53
I don't know why, but the term "crib" always reminds me of nativity plays [msnsmile2]

Dianna

ctgirlscout
08-09-2005, 03:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn

....interesting that us Brits do seem to know more of the US terms than the other way round isn't it?
[/quote]

Maybe it's because you spend a lot of time in the US? Most Americans never leave the country.

resorthomerentals
08-09-2005, 16:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout

....interesting that us Brits do seem to know more of the US terms than the other way round isn't it?
[/quote]

Maybe it's because you spend a lot of time in the US? Most Americans never leave the country.

[/quote]

Or because you are in this business. I didn't know any of the UK terms before first renting, and then owning a rental home (villa).[msnsmile]

brizzle
08-09-2005, 16:55
I flip into American pretty easy when I hit Florida.
Cot becomes Crib, Pushchair becomes Stroller, Queue becomes Line, Bill becomes Check etc....

I also don't use double and triple when quoting numbers as that seems to confuse.
In the UK I wouldn't think twice before saying triple 9 but in the US I have to force myself to say 9 9 9....:)

Brizzle.

08-09-2005, 17:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout

[/quote]

[/quote]

Americans need to get out and visit the rest of the world, you guys are missing so much[msnwink]

brizzle
08-09-2005, 17:17
The first toilets when you hit Gatwick being one of them [xx(].
After a week (or lifetime) of spotless facilities, for that to be one of the first things visitors see is a downright embarassment.

Brizzle.

CarolAnn
08-09-2005, 17:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
The first toilets when you hit Gatwick being one of them [xx(].
After a week (or lifetime) of spotless facilities, for that to be one of the first things visitors see is a downright embarassment.

Brizzle.

[/quote]
True enough Brizzle[msnembarrased]