PDA

View Full Version : Caution

kazandloouk
05-09-2005, 18:39
Hi
this has probably been asked so sorry for repeating if it has. If you have a caution - which is technically not a criminal conviction - do you still have to apply for a visa?

Thanks

dolphinv
05-09-2005, 18:52
As long as no charges were filed I don't think so! But I know the more informed readers will be along later to advise.

Robert5988
05-09-2005, 19:09
You should do a search on this forum and you will find loads of threads on this.

The Visa Waiver Form(I-94W) that is given to you at the airport is of little help on your question. You can see the form on this Forum and it can be interpreted in a number of ways. For an offence that only merited a caution you could be forgiven for thinking that you could answer 'No' to the question as it talks of a crime of 'moral turpitude' - a violation related to a controlled substance - two or more offences with an aggregate sentence of 5 years confinement. etc etc

No point in asking on this forum(or anywhere else for that matter) what the wording of the question means as nobody knows for certain.

However if you look at the detail in the US Embassy regulations you will find that if you were arrested you need a Visa regardless of caution or even not guilty of any offence.