PDA

View Full Version : Is Sanford the worst equipped airport?

villavirgin
04-09-2005, 23:45
Oh boy, it surely is imho. Just returned from a great two week's break in Orlando, but had to suffer a three hour delay resulting in six hours stuck in the International Departures. Not the perfect ending to a holiday.

Hot, crowded, and the worst facilities I've experienced of any US airport, and that includes Dayton Ohio!

There were passengers for 8 or 9 'planes, three of them 747s, which didn't help. There surely must be enough people passing through the place to justify the management laying on decent catering, instead of coffee and tea urns, chips, pizza, and ice cream.[xx(]

I know it's Orlando's budget airport, but come on, the country that prides itself on customer service surely can do better than what is there now?

What would you like to find to ease your waiting time there? For me, it would be a decent coffee bar, and perhaps something like a Ruby Tuesday for quality eats [msntongue], to provide an alternative to the pub.

VV

05-09-2005, 00:59
Starbucks for me every time[msnwink]

There is one at MCO and its the first place I head for as soon as we land, and the last thing I do before we leave[msnwink]

Lyn
05-09-2005, 01:01
Yes my daughter & I searched but not find a decent cup of coffee, Starbucks would be perfect[msntongue]

E. Cosgrove
05-09-2005, 02:06
I was stuck at Sanford for 8 hours once, not a pleasant experience. Much prefer to travel schedued into MCO these days, but at the time I think the flight was a real bargain.....never again[msnsad]

flyrr100
05-09-2005, 02:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by villavirgin
and that includes Dayton Ohio!

VV
[/quote]

Hey! Dayton's not that bad! It's a medium sized domestic airport. They've recently opened a 'Max & Ermas' there. That's the midwest version of Chilis. Now, you want bad airports? Try Talahassee FL, Birmingham AL, Huntsville AL, Panama City FL. All worse than poor Dayton! Oh, have you ever spent an hour or two at New York's La Guargia? Hmmmm. Try that and tell me Dayton's bad!

CERICROWLEY
05-09-2005, 02:35
I using travel via MCO but have occasionally travelled to Sanford, they have improved the airport when hubby last used in August from the first time we used it 4 years ago, and are still upgrading up. Its not bad, but I agree MCO is far superior, but the one airport I absolutely hate most of all is CARDIFF, it is appalling, cafe will sat about 20 people with one WHS, very limited duty free counter, no makeup counter like BOOTS etc. I now travel via Bristol or gatwick.

I must admit though any delay in an airport is frustrating.

christhear
05-09-2005, 12:08
Lasy year I travelled via Miami. Sanford is luxury compared to Miami. Once through Security there was a Pizza hut and a sandwhich bar, but the Sandwhich bar closed at 5 pm and the Pizza place just sold individual slices.

I'd much rather be stuck at Sanford than Miami.

Flew home from Tampa on Saturday, that wasn't too bad, nice comfy seats in Departure lounge. Only problem there was finding Alamo car return.

Badger
05-09-2005, 14:41
I agree that Sanford is one awful place, no decent food and there are always huge crowds at immigration and departures. They just can't cope with the pax traffic. The place does not seem to be air conditioned even. I'm not too sure about Ceri's observations of Cardiff. It is only a small regional airport although I do admit that access is bad. The main problem with Cardiff is that there are so few airlines using it and we often have to travel to Bristol to get where we want. But it does offer flights to Florida and that's convenient except that they go to dreadful Sanford. We have vowed never to use Sanford again and in the future will stick to Tampa.

Florida3883
05-09-2005, 15:51
Just got back from Fl and flew in & out of Sanford. Have to say it was fine. OK, it was busy, but hey airports these days are busy and it was the last weekend before the kids return to school, so I imagine all airports were busy. No delays for us and were thru customs within 15 mins and in departures lounge soon after having a hot beef sandwich. Doing it all again in 5 weeks time. Bring it on[msnwink]

Josie Jump
05-09-2005, 16:25
Luckily we've pre-booked the vip lounge at Sanford for our return trip, I don't know whether its specific to First Choice customers but it only cost us £9 each.

djdigitald
05-09-2005, 16:27
Sanford has inproved since the first time i flew there many many years ago!!! We flew with Monarch and they didn't have any computers there, all the checks were done in large books which took an age to get through customs. Yes it isn't great but it does have a bar and games area and Duty Free, what more do you want????

Russ
05-09-2005, 18:51
I'm going to Florida in 23 days and I was really looking forward to trying a different airport this time but now I'm not so sure...I'm sure it'll be fine [msnsmile2]

jolliffee
05-09-2005, 20:29
I think all airports start to suffer when there are a few delayed planes; being stuck in departure is bad news. The worst we had was Luxor..

Robert5988
05-09-2005, 21:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Lasy year I travelled via Miami. Sanford is luxury compared to Miami. Once through Security there was a Pizza hut and a sandwhich bar, but the Sandwhich bar closed at 5 pm and the Pizza place just sold individual slices.

I'd much rather be stuck at Sanford than Miami.
[/quote]

As the tennis player said "You can NOT be serious"

Miami has just about every facility possible and the main terminals are quite nice.

Sanford for me is the absolute pits. Virtually no facilities and completely inadequate to cope with the charter planes that mainly arrive and depart in a short window. Well at least they are meant to; but it surely must have the worst record of delayed flights in the USA.

05-09-2005, 21:39
I flew into and out of Chicago O'Hare 2 years ago and there is nothing there! Once you go through security it gets worse nothing but a news stand!!![msnmad]

Orlando International is great as is Miami and Tampa[msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-09-2005, 21:46
We've been through O'Hare a few times and found lots of facilities and had no problems at all. I'm guessing it may depend on which of the many terminals you are using?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
I flew into and out of Chicago O'Hare 2 years ago and there is nothing there! Once you go through security it gets worse nothing but a news stand!!![msnmad]

[/quote]

Cruella DeVilla
05-09-2005, 22:16
Tried Sandford once, our thoughts at the time were never again, maybe we were just unlucky as all airports can be h*llish at times!

CERICROWLEY
05-09-2005, 22:22
We've been to Sanford three times now is the past 4 years, and MCO about 6 times, I have to say Sanford has improved from 4 years ago, but still has a bit to do. The big thing that puts me off Sanford now is the uncomfortable economy seats in Chartered Travel unless you have Premium Economy, the long drive of 45 mins usually in the dark to get to our villa instead of 20 mins in the afternoon. and most of all the tolls have gone enormously. You now pay over $6 in tolls one way. [:O] if you use the 417 down to the Disney turn off. which is quicker than the I4 route. at MCO it only $1.25

05-09-2005, 22:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
We've been through O'Hare a few times and found lots of facilities and had no problems at all. I'm guessing it may depend on which of the many terminals you are using?

[/quote]
[/quote]

It was the terminal BA use, they have one burger type place before security which was packed but nothing after security, my husband is flying there on Sat so I will get him to check it out again[msnwink]

domster
05-09-2005, 22:41
I have been at worse airports than Sanford for being delayed. Corfu being one of them

05-09-2005, 22:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by domster
I have been at worse airports than Sanford for being delayed. Corfu being one of them
[/quote]

Don't get me going on Greek Airports[msnscared]

Robert5988
05-09-2005, 23:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: I flew into and out of Chicago O'Hare 2 years ago and there is nothing there! Once you go through security it gets worse nothing but a news stand!!!
[/quote]

The AA terminal at O'Hare is huge and has every possible facility after security.

Katys Grandad
05-09-2005, 23:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

[/quote]
[/quote]

It was the terminal BA use, they have one burger type place before security which was packed but nothing after security, my husband is flying there on Sat so I will get him to check it out again[msnwink]
[/quote]

I must say I have found O'Hare to have the best food facilities of any US airport I have used. It even has a branch of Wolfgang Puck.

BTW Julie - it has THREE Starbucks but not unfortunately none in the BA Terminal (5).

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-09-2005, 23:27
Aha - we were in the main AA terminal which had all sorts of facilities. We did use the terminal that BA use once but we literally ran from the AA terminal to the BA one and straight onto the plane so did not get chance to stop and check it out.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

05-09-2005, 23:53
John/Katys Grandad, That explains it I will have to go AA next time - three Starbucks, I would be in heaven!![msnwink] Chicago itself has one on most corners - bliss[msnwink]

Benny
06-09-2005, 00:00
I've only been to Sanford twice on both my trips to the USA so i cant really say much about it.I cant really see the fuss over which airport is better.They all do the same job and they get you from A to B.If the security is good and your flight is on time then what else do you want ?

Its not like the holiday is ruind if the airport has lots of people waiting for imigration.

06-09-2005, 00:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Benny
I've only been to Sanford twice on both my trips to the USA so i cant really say much about it.I cant really see the fuss over which airport is better.They all do the same job and they get you from A to B.If the security is good and your flight is on time then what else do you want ?

Its not like the holiday is ruind if the airport has lots of people waiting for imigration.
[/quote]

With respect I think you have missed the point, if you are waiting for a flight or your flight has been delayed there is nothing worse than being in a hot sweaty airport that has no facilities such as seating and decent places to eat and drink[msnwink]

Many of us are seasoned travellers to many different airports and believe me they are not all the same[msnscared]

Katys Grandad
06-09-2005, 00:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Benny

[/quote]

I agree that if the security is good and the flight takes off on time it might not make much difference where you take off from. However, when problems do arise (and all too often they do) I prefer to be somewhere there is more than an uncomfortable departure lounge seat to spend the waiting hours.

A few years ago I had the misfortune to spend 5 hours delayed at Sanford. They were some of the most uncomforatble hours I have spent and haven't used it since.

Snapper
06-09-2005, 01:12
All that natter about the BA terminal at O'Hare brings back some very nice memories. One of the best chicken curries I've ever tasted is in the BA lounge at O'Hare terminal 5. It's divine.

KevinT
06-09-2005, 03:48
Sanford has improved vastly in the eight years or so we have been travelling to Orlando. The facilities there now (believe it or not!) are 200% better than they were then.

If you are comparing airports generally and include UK ones then consider Teeside International (now Durham Tees Valley Airport). Eighteen months ago we started our Florida journey there, travelling via Amsterdam on a 6am flight. We were advised by the tour operator to be there 2 hours before flight time. We arrived at 4am and the airport was virtually closed ! Nobody else there except a young couple with a guitar (At least we got entertainment). No staff - no place to get a cuppa - the magazine stall was locked up. Enquiry desks and check in desks were all unmanned. We sat for an hour on hard lumpy seats for an hour until at 5 am , one or two staff eventually arrived. Most of the passengers for our flight arrived at 5.15 (they must be used to the lack of service). [msnscared]

Yes , I'll take Sanford any day. [msnwink]

ujpest doza
06-09-2005, 15:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
Sanford has improved vastly in the eight years or so we have been travelling to Orlando. The facilities there now (believe it or not!) are 200% better than they were then.

If you are comparing airports generally and include UK ones then consider Teeside International (now Durham Tees Valley Airport). Eighteen months ago we started our Florida journey there, travelling via Amsterdam on a 6am flight. We were advised by the tour operator to be there 2 hours before flight time. We arrived at 4am and the airport was virtually closed ! Nobody else there except a young couple with a guitar (At least we got entertainment). No staff - no place to get a cuppa - the magazine stall was locked up. Enquiry desks and check in desks were all unmanned. We sat for an hour on hard lumpy seats for an hour until at 5 am , one or two staff eventually arrived. Most of the passengers for our flight arrived at 5.15 (they must be used to the lack of service). [msnscared]

Yes , I'll take Sanford any day. [msnwink]
[/quote]

I don't dislike Sanford, but i've never been delayed there.
You get in and out quick, but i must say MCO is more like a shopping Mall than an airport and therefore has plenty more to pass the time eg a branch of Chilis[clap]

I actually like flying short haul from Teesside(sorry Durham Tees Valley) rather than Newcastle (which is closer) simply because as it is smaller you don't have as far to walk for your gate etc and you seem to get processed quicker.

MrEktion
06-09-2005, 19:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
All that natter about the BA terminal at O'Hare brings back some very nice memories. One of the best chicken curries I've ever tasted is in the BA lounge at O'Hare terminal 5. It's divine.
[/quote]

I go through O'Hare a fair amount too and have to agree with all before the AA terminal (T3) is great for facilities but BA and most of the foreign carriers leave from T5 which has naff all unless like Snapper you can avail yourself of a lounge (presume you were flying the LHR sleeper service and could therefore dine in the lounge!).

As for Sanford well it used to be a great airport to land at and leave but it seems to be struggling with the volume recently, but as for flying out of, I have to say it is pretty much the pits.

Catering is abysmal and the Duty Free is run by Alpha Retail who run a lot of the UK's Airport Duty Free's.

I am sure most things in the Sanford Duty Free are more expensive than other US Duty Frees because they know you are a Brit flying back to Rip Off Britain and you will see anything 'Duty Free' as a bargain. Once saw Margarita Mix 1 Litre bottle for $11.95, 3L in Publix was about $5.00 and the same brand and bottle was £2.99 in Asda back in the UK. It is really cynically priced.

Luckily I have never been delayed in Sanford but my motto is get there later rather than earlier enjoy your last day outside not in Sanford Airport and definately have something to eat outside much cheaper and better quality.

Once got stuck in the cattle shed known as South Bend, Indiana Airport for 6 hours so this has the worst airport slot in my book so far.

Cheers

Mr E.