PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the I4/Beeline Expressway

Captain Slog
11-05-2003, 19:57
I'm a first time visitor and get into MCO mid-afternoon next Saturday. I've been advised to keep off the I4/Beeline Expressway for my first drive in FLA but need to get to Thousand Oaks, Davenport.

I though about taking the Greenway-John Young Parkway-Orange Blossom Trail to the Oseola/Polk Line.

I'm in no hurry but is this route any good or should I ignore the advice and get on the I4 and be done with it?

Thanks

CS

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-05-2003, 01:03
I'd certainly recommend using the 417 as it's always very quiet which is good after a long flight.

florida
12-05-2003, 02:51
Stick to the 417 it's your best route after a long flight and as first timer on the road in Florida. Your car rental company will provide you with and map and any directions if you need them. The trouble is you are always so excited the minute you get behind the wheel you can never remember what they told you, so asked them to mark the route on the map

Captain Slog
12-05-2003, 13:40
Thanks for the advice. It's the 417 for me then!

CS

kkevingo
13-05-2003, 02:07
deffo the 417-- but dont forget loose change for the tolls

Captain Slog
03-06-2003, 13:39
Back now. Sound advice but the stop start on the tolls if you use the whole Florida Greeneway as we did going to the Kennedy Space Center can be distracting.

Took a couple of days but got used to the I4 v. quickly.

Thanks.

CS

steph_goodrum
03-06-2003, 16:13
Must admit we tend to stick to the I4 a lot as we're so used to the M25 it doesn't seem any worse than that.

Harmony
04-06-2003, 12:41
I agree, after the M25 the I4 is easy. I think you just have to be sensible about when you use the I4. It's nearly always busy but if you try using it during rush hour times it becomes like the M25, A CAR PARK. [V] Other times it can be a very quick and convient route for getting from A to B.

Jeff

fiona
04-06-2003, 12:59
After sitting on the I4 - just like a car park!! one time we arrived from the UK we now forgo this opportunity and go on the Osceola Parkway and the Greenway. Figure a dollar is worth it to avoid the possible agro, and this way is often quicker for us.

dannib
08-06-2003, 21:43
This road for us was a godsend!

When we arrived, the bloke at the car hire place told us which way to go to get to Emerald Island, and it took us about an hour and half! (although it was in the middle of the tropical storm!)

And it wasn't until we were going back the the airport that we realised that it was only 20-30mins down the I4.

Which would have been alot better after a 9 hour flight from england!

We found the I4 really good, we never ran in to major traffic and found that places were really easy to find from that road.