PDA

View Full Version : National or State Parks near Orlando

jolliffee
31-08-2005, 11:27
We know it is too far to go to the Everglades in a single day but we would like to know if there is another national or state park worth visiting within a 1.5 hour drive of Orlando so as to balance the Disney World experience.

WE have always driven away from Orlando for this and thought it would be nice to do something local?[msnsmile2]

Robert5988
31-08-2005, 12:33
Sebastion Inlet is a State Park - on the East Coast about 15 miles South of Melbourne. Only recommended if you are keen on fishing - best fishing in Central Florida - participate or watch anglers on the pier. Entrance $5 per car.

Merritt Island Reserve also on East Coast near Cape Canaveral. See masses of wildlife - alligators, manatees, dolphins and a huge variety of birds - trails for cars or on foot. No entrance fee except if you go to beach - the north of this beach is used by nudists(so local paper stated) and police turn a blind eye. Not certain of what the 'birds' are like on this stretch!
No catering facilities at all so take a picnic.

Jill
31-08-2005, 12:43
We have been to 3 of the parks in the area and they are each a great way to spend a day. You can even take your own barbecue food and coals. Here is the link to the parks in the area [website link edited]

Patsy
31-08-2005, 16:24
There is a lovely state park only l0 minutes or so from Disney on the 27. It is called Lake Louisa and well worth a visit. You need to drive up the 192 and turn right on to the 27 and Lake Louisa State Park is approx four or five miles along on the left hand side. It has wonderful countryside and beautiful lakes to visit.

Give it a try

RIS
31-08-2005, 16:24
We enjoy Lake Louisa state park north on the 27.

RIS
31-08-2005, 16:25
Patsy you beat me to it![msnsmile2]

jolliffee
31-08-2005, 16:47
Thanks, these are super recommendations. Much better to get real world views of these places.

shenon
31-08-2005, 16:47
Dave we were wondering the same and as we are going back to cocoa beach whilst we are there , we are going to plum for Merritt island these links may be usefull:)

http://merrittisland.fws.gov/

http://merrittisland.fws.gov/questions.html

shockey
31-08-2005, 17:07
A couple more:

Blue Spring State Park, about 40 mins north of Orlando. In winter the best place to see manatees - there are usually dozens, attracted by the hot springs. Also river trips to see alligators and birds.

Honeymoon Island State Park, on Gulf Coast near Dunedin. This is about a 2 hour trip, but last time we saw many ospreys sitting on their nests. Next door is Caladesi Island State Park, a short boat trip away - a fun desert island experience.

Ray&Sarah
31-08-2005, 18:04
Lake Louisa is lovely.[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
31-08-2005, 20:49
I know at Lake Louisa on H27, they were having Life guards on the largest lake this summer too, until the end of September I believe?[msnsmile2]

Andy and Wendy
31-08-2005, 23:55
Another vote for Lake Louisa - very peaceful, nice beach area by the Lake (no swimming though - gators), BBQ & picnic facilities.

Hard to believe WDW is around the corner.[msnsmile2]

Andy

Steviek
01-09-2005, 00:12
If you look in the Orlando for free section there are a couple of items on Kelly Park and 1 I put on about De Leon springs pinched from a Florida expert

orlandobabe
21-05-2006, 08:00
Another vote for Lake Louisa state park. From the entrance of Lindfields to the entrance of the park (27 north) was just 15 mins in moderate traffic.

We spent the afternoon at the beach. There were people paddling in the water. Yes there's alligators-but we were told that it's more to do with the lake not having good visibility-all due to the tannic acid effect.

Need to bring a cool box with some drinks/food on a hot day as there's no outlet there yet.

esprit
21-05-2006, 09:24
Wekiva Springs State Park. It is off SR 434 west near Apopka which is quick to get to now using the Beltway. Beach, springs you can swim in, canoes for hire, trails to walk, picnic area. Loads of wildlife around there. This area is one of the best places to see black bears which are far more prevalent up in Seminole county. There are also deer, bobcats, raccoons, grey fox and opossum ranging over the 7000 acres of the park.

Newhomebuyer
21-05-2006, 12:06
I have been to Wekiva Springs, De Leon and Blue Springs and really enjoyed them all . I would definitely advise a picnic for Wekiva and Blue springs but I would say to save your appetite to eat at the Old Sugar Mill, if you go to De Leon.
Don't forget to take towels as there are great natural places for the family to swim.It is a far cry from the Disney water parks.

I have Lake Louisa on my 'to do' list for my next trip. I think that because it is so close we have never viewed it as a day out but with so many good reports we are determined to try it next time.

linda allen
21-05-2006, 12:33
Why not try the Historic Bok Sanctuary. It is south on the 27 just past Eagle Ridge Masll. We haven't been yet but our guests went a few weeks ago and said it was very beautiful and peaceful. We may give it a try.

Here is the web site; www.boksanctuary.org

MarkJan
21-05-2006, 12:42
Have a look at [website link edited]

Sue and Jere
21-05-2006, 13:36
Never been to Lake Louisa, it sounds lovely. Will try and make a visit on our next trip.

BarryR
21-05-2006, 14:42
Try this site for lists and information about all the state parks in Florida ...
http://www.floridastateparks.org/

Regards
Barry

steph_goodrum
21-05-2006, 18:06
Theres also Homossasa and Weeki Wachi springs to the North of Clermont on the 27 both easily accessible for day trips.