PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Insurance

TonyM19
11-05-2003, 17:03
Hi

I wonder if anybody could just answer a few questions about what insurance is actually needed for a rental car? My cheapest quote for a 7 seater is from Americars. Their package includes Collision Damage Waiver and Liability Insurance. A few of the more expensive quotes have also included Under or Uninsured Motorist Protection (UMP). Is this absolutely vital or would a standard UK Travel Insurance Policy cover this? What sort of proection does your credit card provide? Anybody got any advice/feedback on Anericars?

Cheers

florida4sun
11-05-2003, 18:40
I would take the UMP. There are many over here who dirve around with little or no insurance. Insurance is not something you want to try and save money on. Also be very very careful of using smaller car hire companies. I've recently seen a contarct that pretty much lets the owner of the company decide wether or not you can claim on their insurance and that any vanadalism is not covered.

If you want good car hire for a good price then orlando villas can do this. They deal with dollar and have some of the best rates available.
Americar is based offiste at the airport. Yes you may save a few dollars but you have the hassle of calling and then waiting for a bus, tranferring your luggage and the same when returning home.
With Orlando Villas car hire you collect onsite at the airport. Much easier http://www.orlandovillas.com/car_hire.asp

dannib
11-05-2003, 21:38
also, you could try checking out airline network, we booked a 7 seater for 17 days for this month for £400, which was best I could find. and the insurance seemed ok.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-05-2003, 23:16
Checked out airline network and for 17 days they have a special on a 7 seater but it is £449 how did you manage to squeeze nearly £50 off the price - Dannib, please reveal your tactics

:)

Sarah

TonyM19
12-05-2003, 00:27
Thanks for the input. Back to the drawing board for a deal with UMP :)

dannib
12-05-2003, 01:33
Booked my car hire about 4 months or so ago, and was doing a special then, so they must've put their prices up since.
Just lucky I suppose, no tactics to share i'm afraid!