PDA

View Full Version : "Nearly Free" Car Hire

fredkohlhofer
30-08-2005, 16:49
I need to travel up from Miami to Jacksonville via Tampa soon and thought that I would book a car for the one-day trip through this site - silver inclusive £21, Gold with a full tank of gas is only £3 more!
Thats a total of £24 which is about $42, and a tank of gas must be getting on for that now.
I don't think there will be any gas left after the long trip so it seems like a good idea.
Can anyone tell me if this is going to work or not?

steph_goodrum
30-08-2005, 17:22
We had to fill up at least twice when we drove from our villa on Hway 27 to Miami, you can save some fuel by not using the air condtioning. But you are going to have that cost whatever car you get, and to get to Jacksonville I would guess at least one more tankful if not 2.

Have you looked at flying? We are flying one was from Boston to Orlando next week and it has cost us $67 each including all taxes.

wrpac00
30-08-2005, 17:44
Just had a quick look can't find anything under $117+tax.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-08-2005, 17:49
That does not sound right - what is that for?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
Just had a quick look can't find anything under $117+tax.
[/quote]

chrizzy100
30-08-2005, 20:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
We had to fill up at least twice when we drove from our villa on Hway 27 to Miami, you can save some fuel by not using the air condtioning. But you are going to have that cost whatever car you get, and to get to Jacksonville I would guess at least one more tankful if not 2.

Have you looked at flying? We are flying one was from Boston to Orlando next week and it has cost us $67 each including all taxes.
[/quote]

I'm flying from Boston to Orlando Saturday...that was $72.......cheap as chips........[msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
30-08-2005, 21:22
"I'm flying from Boston to Orlando Saturday...that was $72.......cheap as chips........"

You'll be leaving the Cape before we get there then Chrizzy. Can't wait to see our daughter again and catch up, especially as it was her birthday the other week. We arrive next Friday and 3 days on the Vineyard before we fly down.

chrizzy100
30-08-2005, 22:27
"I'm flying from Boston to Orlando Saturday...that was $72.......cheap as chips........"

You'll be leaving the Cape before we get there then Chrizzy. Can't wait to see our daughter again and catch up, especially as it was her birthday the other week. We arrive next Friday and 3 days on the Vineyard before we fly down.
[/quote]

Its pouring down here.......but the first rain we have had for ages......
Hope you have a great time on the Vineyard.....we went back in June.....it was beautiful there...we even looked at some homes......but I don't have a spare 5 million in my back pocket......[msnsmile2]
Go see the cookie cutter homes.....we have a few on the Cape....they are so pretty....

We just went out to get some flashlights and a radio for FL....I've see a few T waves out at sea....and want to be ready just incase....

steph_goodrum
31-08-2005, 00:38
"Go see the cookie cutter homes.....we have a few on the Cape....they are so pretty"

Are they the gingerbread houses Chrizzy, they are on our list.

I haven't checked with our guests whether our wind up torches/radios are still there, perhaps we should be prepared.

wrpac00
31-08-2005, 00:43
John,

That was flying Miami to Jacksonville. Checked on hotwire and orbitz.

chrizzy100
31-08-2005, 01:02
"Go see the cookie cutter homes.....we have a few on the Cape....they are so pretty"

Are they the gingerbread houses Chrizzy, they are on our list.

I haven't checked with our guests whether our wind up torches/radios are still there, perhaps we should be prepared.
[/quote]

Yes they are...[msnsmile]

I thought if I took some lighs down......I'd not need them......[msnsmile2]

fredkohlhofer
31-08-2005, 13:16
Hey guys the point I was trying to make is that if I book Gold Inclusive on this site I get a days car hire and a full tank of gas for $42, which is about what the gas would cost on its own, so the car hire is just about free.
I suppose if I want to come back I book another single day Gold Inclusive from this site and do it in reverse.

There are 4 of us so airfare would be expensive and we still wouldn't have transport when we arrived at the destination airport, in addition we are going via Tampa so it would mean 2 flights, taxis from airport all that stuff.

The whole point of the topic was that its only £3 more to get a full tank of gas included. Got to be the cheapest gas fillup in the entire USA right now.

CERICROWLEY
02-09-2005, 21:24
Fred

I have just had a an e-mail from a good friend over in Orlando and mentioned that the gas is rocketing up in price, and is becoming very scare.

Please make sure you have at least a half of tank before the next fill up.

We got caught out in Hurrican Charley last year. Never thought there would be a problem with gas, and was only on the bare minimum when the hurricane struck. Our friend had to help us out with a gerry can which got us to the nearest filling station which did have fuel at the time.

We now always keep the care topped up until the trip to the airport which takes about half a tank.

sunseeker
02-09-2005, 23:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by CERICROWLEY

We now always keep the care topped up until the trip to the airport which takes about half a tank.
[/quote]

gee wizz Ceri, think you must have a hole in the tank [msneek]

Dave

fredkohlhofer
03-09-2005, 10:56
Half a tank sounds like much too much to go from the "Disney Area" even to Sanford, let alone Orlando MCO.
Maybe they go to Tampa, even that wouldn't take me half a tank.
I don't like running on fumes, the car rental company usually win a couple of gallons from me at drop off, just to be on the safe side and not to risk missing my flight for the sake of a few dollars worth of gas.

Gas in Kissimmee yesterday just under $3 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!