PDA

View Full Version : weeki watchi manatee watch

mikep
10-05-2003, 23:58
Sorry about the tongue-twister!
We've just returned from two weeks in Hudson north of Tampa. At Weeki Watchi springs is a canoe hire company (NOT part of the Weeki Watchi springs attraction). Hire your canoe or kayak (more stable) and paddle gently down an eight mile stretch of this crystal-clear river. Magic! We saw otters, stork, crane, turtle, alligators (small ones only!), fish, lots of pellican of course, and the highlight was the encounter with a group of five manatee. We stayed with them for ages whilst they swam gently around under us, nudging the kayaks from time to time whilst they fed peacefully. They were totally unconcerned by our presence. This was a rare encounter apparently, and we felt really privileged to be there. The whole experience was one of the best mornings we have had. The river is gorgeous, and the peaceful environment was so different to the theme parks. If you get a chance to go do try it. About thirty to forty miles north of Tampa I guess, just inland from the coast south of Pine Island.

Ruth
11-05-2003, 00:02
This sounds fantastic, one for when the children are older :)

fiona
11-05-2003, 00:56
This is on our list of things to do, so thanks for telling us more about it. Now I am insisting we go up at Christmas! No ifs, not buts, no golf, no shopping.

Lakul
11-05-2003, 01:01
We are staying in Hudson in August, so that's definitely on our list of things to do. Are manatees around then??

esprit
11-05-2003, 03:17
Nope probably not, they go out to sea in the Summer, Kerry. They over Winter in the Crystal River and surrounding area. Mike probably caught them at the end of their stay.

mikep
12-05-2003, 01:21
Thanks Julie. I didn't realise they go out to sea for the summer. No wonder we were told how lucky we were! We also saw a solitary manatee going out to sea at Bay Port one morning. It just swam calmly under the jetty we were on. Lovely creatures; it's such a disaster that their relaxed style leads so many of them to be injured by propellers. In fairness to the boaters, manatee are not easy to see, especialy if the surface of the water is broken.
Oh, one thing I forget to say about the keyak trip. It's eight miles downstream. Easy paddling. You can drift most of the way. The canoe company pick you up at the end of the trip, and ferry you back to the start. If you get the choice, take the kayaks, the canadian canoes are a lot less stable, but they have more of them. Oh, and book in advance. The company is called Weeki Wachee Canoe Rental. Call them on (352) 597-0360. You can depart 8.00 am thru to 1.00 pm. No later. You must arrive at the end of the course by 5.00pm, but you can take all day if you want. There are a few picnic spots on the way, but mostly private so be careful where you stop. Cost is $33 per two-seat boat; $24 for single. You get lifejackets provided. They have a website too I've just noticed. www.floridacanoe.com.