PDA

View Full Version : Not long to go!!!

dannib
10-05-2003, 13:43
I can't believe how fast this holiday has come around, I go in 8 days!!!:D:D[8D][8D]:D:D
& just got a few more questions...........

What are the bugs like this time of year? Is there alot of mosquitos around? Should I buy some bug spray?

Also the weather, does it rain alot in may? should I get the kids some rain jacket things?

and finally, what are the lines like for rides at this time of year? I know at beginning of june its likely 2 be slightly busier.

I'm sorry, but you know how it is! I like to know what to expect and get organised!(well try to) :)

Thanks

Carla
10-05-2003, 13:48
Hi

I go next Wednesday!!! The weather at the moment is unseasonably hot!! In the 90s. Some rain and quite high humidity. Just like in the Summer and just the way that I love it. :D

It is lovebug season, so you'll see a lot of these "joined" insects around.

Apparently the parks are quite quiet at the moment.

Have a great time.

Ann
10-05-2003, 14:55
May is my favorite time of the year and any time i have been it was hot not wet
the lines werent to bad either
i would hold the rain jackets as the showers if you get any wont last long
have a great time

Debs
10-05-2003, 16:36
We have always visited in May and had a lovely time!!! The weather is great - I always get bitten by bugs so if they tend to like you I would get some spray (they seem to love me for some reason!!).

Above all have a great time!!!!

Only 10 weeks until we go!!! [8D]

mikep
10-05-2003, 23:44
We've just come back.. The weather was great, around 80 degrees. One big thunderstorm on the last day, but if it does rain, enjoy it; you'll soon dry out. Remember you won't keep dry at the theme parks! You WILL get seriously soaked on some rides, and you'll enjoy it. I'm another one the bugs like. I always get bitten, but this year we used the Jungle Formula bite and sting relief. (Boots and others). It's far better than most of the simple ammonia based formulas. It worked for us.
Queues for rides are always variable we find. Use the fast passes - they really work. Strategies for theme parks abound, but I would suggest go early - arrive before the park opens; go for one key ride immediately; get a couple of fast passes before you queue for second big ride, then return for fast pass rides. That way you will get four big rides in in the first couple of hours. (I hope Disney and Universal still have these passes. We went to west coast this year and didn't do Orlando.)
Enjoy the holiday and don't forget to pick up the numerous books of discount vouchers for restaurants and attractions you will see everywhere. We even took a timeshare tour a couple of years ago. It wasted most of one morning, but we saved a huge amount of money on tickets for Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World and somewhere else I can't remember! Nearly half price I recall. Didn't buy the timeshare of course! You can get tickets from many booths around. We bought from one near the top of International Drive. Their tickets are normally not much cheaper for straight purchase, but if they offer the timeshare tour (and they probably will) you may want to consider it. Hold out for as many tickets as possible. They will offer more and more if you show indecision about the tour.
Enjoy Florida, you will NOT want to come home!

orlandobabe
13-05-2003, 06:44
It's hot hot hot! Great! and no lovebugs-but plenty of mozzies-hubby is very badly bitten

By the way John I can't get into the owners area -is it something to do with being on a different computer

Daniel Ramsey
13-05-2003, 06:58
Since I live where mosquitos have been know to swarm so heavy they actually can kill full grown Caribou we often use 100% DEET repellant, BE WARNED! any DEET over 15% can make children nauseous, a good effective amount is 15-25% for adults. If a person unknowingly uses 100% it has properties that actually melted my eyeglass frames plastic to my hair! For young children get approved percentage only.

Susan J
13-05-2003, 15:22
I have just E-mailed a client in my Villa, who goes a few times of the year, but never been in May before. He said he would thoroughly recommend it, but there are some Luvbugs about. He just used the Insect repellant I leave out for guests, which works, even by the lake for fishing - trouble is I can't remember what it is - probably the one that says " Jungle Formula" on it
PArks are not overly busy, which is good. At Easter they were horrendous !!

fiona
13-05-2003, 15:28
Are the lovebugs around in June? I've just had someone ask me about this and having never been out then I don't know. (only 4 more years of school to go then!!)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-05-2003, 15:59
They were starting to come out when we were there at the beginning of April Fiona.

blott
13-05-2003, 18:35
The lovebugs are also certainly around now and they're really easy to swat as they move so slowly but they are a bit of a nuisance splatting all over the car windows... but I don't remember seeing any in June as I think they'd, er, 'finished' by then. :)

fiona
13-05-2003, 18:43
Thanks Blottie, that's all I needed to know!!!;)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-05-2003, 19:08
There were lots of them around last Septermber when myself and Roger were in Florida to buy the new villa.

K4LGB
13-05-2003, 20:51
I can confirm they are out in force already.
When we cut across from Highway27 to the Florida Turnpike at Lake Wales to Yahoo Junction we drove on a country road (State Road 60?)
It was like a scene from Starship Troopers - all these lovebugs coming off the fields and seemingly being drawn towards the front windscreen of the car - it was pure carnage and the washer/wipers just wouldn't shift the debris! [xx(]

neilandkay
14-05-2003, 01:23
I would always advise getting Mosquito repellant for Florida, especially for young children and older people. It should hopefully stop you getting bitten.

--Kay

bellaepovera
14-05-2003, 01:40
The product OFF is very effective for keeping mosquitos away. i dont remember seeing love bugs in June but i do remember there were tons of them in September[xx(]

orlandobabe
15-05-2003, 19:28
We've seen very few lovebugs so far-but those bites on my hubby's legs have been caused by deer flies-and they have been really nasty. Much bigger than mozzie bites I would say.
He's bought some benadryl topical cream and that seems to be dealing with it-but at one point I thought we were going to have to frogmarch him to the ER-well he'd never go willingly!

We had a small thunderstorm yesterday evening which cooled things down a bit.

But it's lovely today-yeeha!

phil moloney
17-05-2003, 03:15
Some years ago my friends found AleoVera Gel from the body shop terriffic for bites. the reddness and swelling disappeared overnight. That was in Greece and wree not the monsters you describe.

Cowboy
17-05-2003, 05:46
No love bugs here at the moment.
We have been to Florida at most times of the year but never May until this year. Never known it so quiet---even on the 192.
Weather is great----hardly a cloud in the sky today and just had a beautiful sunset.

The best time of the year for us!

Mike:D:D:D