PDA

View Full Version : car rental

alex
09-05-2003, 12:41
does anyone know which car rental companies will let you rent without
taking their insurance

K4LGB
09-05-2003, 14:29
I beleive some insurance companies in the UK are now offering hire car coverage for high volume users but the premiums are skyhigh as they basically mean that your own personal insurance company are guaranteeing to pay the full value of any incident.
I had this sort of problem with a hire car in the UK where we were instructed by our company to declined all insurance. When I had an accident I ended up filling out a hire car accident report and a company accident report and 2 months later I STILL received the bill for the damage with threat of CC action (which my company insurance promptly dealt with).
In the US for peace of mind I always take the maximum insurance option and then in the unlikely event of a claim at least I know I am fully covered and shouldn't have any recurring hassles - especially in the US where you are likely to get sued whether it was your fault or not. :(
Also remember that the car hire companies in the US are VERY negotiable on rates (depending on the dates of your visit i.e. don't expect them to negotiate around the 4th July, Thanksgiving or Christmas)

Just my opinion but I have seen so many fender benders in my trips it doesn't matter how good a driver you are and remember it could affect your own NCD if you have such an accident and are relying on your own insurance policy back home. [:0]

Hope this is useful and makes sense.
Cheers
Les

florida4sun
09-05-2003, 16:59
Yes all of them will do this provided you have your own coverage. The car hire on orlando villas can do this.

quote:Originally posted by alex

does anyone know which car rental companies will let you rent without
taking their insurance

steph_goodrum
09-05-2003, 18:50
Les if you get an annual insurance policy from American Express (available to non cardholders as well) the Gold option covers you for North American car hire insurance, including the excess. It's £294 for our family of 3 but we haven't taken it yet as our cover is still current. The car hire insurance covers any driver travelling with you who is listed on the car rental form. So you can save quite a bit of money if you make trips totalling more than a couple of weeks in a year.
http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,12756,00.asp
gives you the details.
This way you aren't risking your no claims bonus if anything should happen.