PDA

View Full Version : Information about feeding the dolphins

tigger66
21-08-2005, 23:34
Please can i have some!?

Snapper
21-08-2005, 23:46
It's a great experience. Not to be missed when you have a day at Sea World.

The dolphins are only fed at certain times so when you arrive there make sure to check out which time suits you. Get there early. Very early. The event is really popular and there will likely be a very long queue for the fish.

Then just follow the instructions that the trainers tell you and try to take hundreds of photos. They are quick wee blighters and you'll be amazed how many photos don't really turn out how you expected them to.

If you have small children, maybe 8 years old or less, it might be worth explaining everything to them first in terms of what is going to happen. Dolphins do have teeth, and when you see them up close the first time it can be a little scary to suddenly see this open mouth full of teeth flashing towards your hand in which you are holding the fish. Dolphins, thankfully, don't like the taste of people, only fish!

Don't try to yank the fish away thinking you'll get to pet the dolphin and save the fish. These are very intelligent animals and if they don't get their fish they won't hang around to be stroked and they likely won't be back with you for another go at the fish either.

For another similar experience don't miss the Sea Lions. You can feed them all day long and I can guarantee that you'll give up feeding them before they get tired of it. The only thing to watch with the Sea Lions is to make sure the gulls don't get the fish first when you throw it.

Enjoy!

andrewmckay5
22-08-2005, 00:51
This close:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/20053620572_aaa.JPG

Snapper
22-08-2005, 01:07
What a fantastic photo Andrew. That's just like I remember them.

Jo
22-08-2005, 02:18
Another hint is for each member of your family to take it in turns to hand over the fish - then the rest of you get to stroke the dolphins while 1 person feeds, and the whole thing lasts much longer.

Choose a good position for photos/filmimg too - its worth the photographer being the other side of the pool if you have a good camera then you can get the children's faces in the picture too.

sundowner
22-08-2005, 16:44
If I remember rightly, there are also 'officials' who take photos and you have the option to buy them. They did get some good ones of us feeding the fish, however, with our digital cameras we could see that we had got some good photos anyway so did not take them up on their offer.

cheekychops05
22-09-2005, 16:09
I was at Seaworld a week ago, Feeding the Dolphins is one of things I regret doing. It was a very very hot day , with the longest Que i've seen. I didn't even get chance to stand near the pool they were in there were so many people pushing and not moving out the way.

So we moved on to the Sea Lions, which was one of the best things I thought at Seaworld. As there was so many people around the Dolphins there were no ques for the food and no one really feeding them either!!!

If you can you must feed the Dolphins i'm so disappointed I never got to do that, I've already booked my next years holiday and thats one thing i'm not missing out on.

LiesaAnna
22-09-2005, 18:10
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/LiesaAnna/200592214155_029883F458-01CF-46E7-BD2F4A67E8925282.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/LiesaAnna/200592214632_05929FA2F1-413A-4918-9CBEA3D4117C9083.jpg

a couple of the baby dolphins playing in the dolphin nursery, like puppies with their new toys!!!
so cute!!

cheekychops05
22-09-2005, 19:16
Excellant pics Liesa!!!

I want to go back there so badly i've only been back 6 days! I hate it here.

Lianne

Wazz
22-09-2005, 20:04
its a great thing to do and if you follow the path round the back of pool you can be on the outcrop where the official photographer is and get some great shots if your partner is opposite.

Ray&Sarah
23-09-2005, 02:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
This close:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/20053620572_aaa.JPG
[/quote]

What a lovely photo Andrew, so close.[msnsmile2]

Josie Jump
25-09-2005, 01:49
Take a change of top because my t-shirt ended up smelling of fish all day...mmm pleasant !