PDA

View Full Version : Two Way Radios

orlandobabe
18-02-2002, 00:56
We bought ours from one of the hypermarkets-can't remember which one-either Target or Walmart!

Absolutely Brilliant!

I don't know how we managed without them. They cut down on all the time wasted hanging around for the rest of the group-even in somewhere like Target for eg. At $30 each they were a snip and I'd recommend them. Great round the parks if you let older children off the leash! Or if you drop off teen agers and go to pick them up again-they work within a 2 mile radius!

Orlandobabe

carole7007
18-02-2002, 01:01
Hi OrlandoBabe

Yes we have a set, they came in really useful two years ago when the whole family my gang, brother and his gang and Mum and Dad.

They really came in useful when we lost someone, no it was not the 3 year old !!!

It was the 63 year old GRANDAD !!!!

Carole & Keith

carole7007
18-02-2002, 01:01
Hi OrlandoBabe

Yes we have a set, they came in really useful two years ago when the whole family my gang, brother and his gang and Mum and Dad.

They really came in useful when we lost someone, no it was not the 3 year old !!!

It was the 63 year old GRANDAD !!!!

Carole & Keith

imported_n/a
18-02-2002, 01:03
This is a good idea,we keep wondering whether we could purchase, at a reasonable price,"pay as you go mobile phones" similar to those in the UK.
Does anyone know what price they might be and what they are called?

Jane

steph_goodrum
18-02-2002, 01:10
the best deal we found for a pay-as-you-go mobile is from Tracfone we bought ours from Walmart on-line and picked it up from our mc. Cost $39.95 with a 10 unit phone card. If you do not activate service after 90 days, when you reactivate any unused minutes are recredited.
Too much to go into detail now but look at www.tracfone.com for more details.

steph

steph_goodrum
18-02-2002, 01:12
Regarding the 2 way radios don't be tempted to use the ones bought in US over here, as the frequencies they use are allocated to emergency services in UK, similarly the UK ones frequencies are allocated to something different in US.

steph

imported_n/a
18-02-2002, 01:18
Thanks Steph this is brilliant, have been going to get around to this for a couple of years, we are going over next month so will arrange for then.
Jane

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-02-2002, 01:31
Do the villa owners amongst you leave them out for guests to use?

John & Sarah

steph_goodrum
18-02-2002, 12:15
We don't leave them for guests but advise them they are a good idea, as you can pick up a set of two radios for about £30-$40 we figured if they can afford a holiday they can afford them, you can buy individual units for 3 people etc. I would say though, try and get one with more than 3 channels, which the basic ones have because you find that all the kids have got these and you spend all day listening to the radio trying to work out if it is for you. We all have a "call sign" as well to make it easier to identify each other. People think it's hilarious when they hear "big cheese calling the dragon" but a unique identifier saves a lot of time talking to strangers.

steph

steph_goodrum
18-02-2002, 16:31
Another time these radios are useful is if you have older children who want to go off on their own to the communal facilities most developments/hotels have, it gives you a bit of peace of mind knowing if they are worried about anybody hanging around etc. they can call you and you can be there within a very short time.
Looking at the size of some of the villas they could be useful indoors as well.

steph

orlandobabe
23-02-2002, 00:30
No we keep them for our own use only.

Ours were motorola and were purchased at Walmart.

I can definitely recommend them.

Orlandobabe