PDA

View Full Version : Ticket prices: Disney v Universal

Lee
07-05-2003, 17:03
Hi,
Just finished paying for the villa, flights and car hire so now we're concentrating on the itinerary.

Can anyone explain why a 14-day pass (5 Park Flex) for Universal costs $209.95 whilst a 4-day Hopper for Disney costs $192? (using Universal and Disney website pricing) I'm sure there must be a good reason. Can someone tell me?

Thanks,
Lee

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-05-2003, 17:11
Hi Lee

I think it's because Disney can get lots of punters through the doors at that price so see no need to try and comnpete with Universal on price.

Daniel Ramsey
07-05-2003, 17:41
Disney is like that, they rarely if ever, have discounts of their tickets. Also is the confusing way they price them with the options, Water Parks etc. Since our family likes to take our sweet time we just buy the annual pass, its a better deal if you plan on visiting for more than 8 days or so, PLUS if you visit again within a years time say two weeks earlier than your upcoming visit they are still good.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-05-2003, 19:08
We have the annual passes too and come and go from Disney when we like without felling pressurised into spending all day there because we have paid for the day!

Lee
07-05-2003, 20:13
Thanks for the input everyone. I can't believe they get away with charging that sort of money! We'll probably just get a few (2 or 3) day passes while we're over there and get the Universal 5-park Flex (via park-tickets.com of course :) ). I just thought that there might be something extra laid on with the prices Disney were charging. That doesn't seem to be the case.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-05-2003, 20:56
It's still not bad value for money considering all you get - especially if you compare it to the prices of some of the UK theme parks like Alton Towers. I think it's just that the Universal passes are excellent value for money that shows up the differences.

steph_goodrum
07-05-2003, 22:02
The other difference is that the Disney tickets never expire so you could buy a 4 day park hopper and if you did Epcot and MGM in one day (which you can't do with a 1 day pass it's one park only) you can even use the other days in a few years time but the Flex ticket also expires (I think it's 14 days after 1st use ) so you may or may not get such good value in the long run. Sea World is $48.95 + tax for 1 day (but they have always given a 2nd day free. I remember a couple of years ago when we were over and all the local radios carried the story of how Sea World was the first park to break the $50 a day mark.

Carla
08-05-2003, 01:55
quote:Originally posted by Lee

Hi,
Just finished paying for the villa, flights and car hire so now we're concentrating on the itinerary.

Can anyone explain why a 14-day pass (5 Park Flex) for Universal costs $209.95 whilst a 4-day Hopper for Disney costs $192? (using Universal and Disney website pricing) I'm sure there must be a good reason. Can someone tell me?

Thanks,
Lee

Lee, the 14 day Flexi Pass is for 14 consecutive days from the date that it is first used. 5 different Parks operate on this ticket, each knowing that the chances of you spending all 14 days of your holiday in their parks is next to impossible.

On average people will go to to these parks for less than 6 full days in a 14 day holiday.

Also, nobody does it like Disney!! The attention to detail and the sheer scale of everything is absolutely magnificent.

Compare that to the cost of a single day at somewhere like Thorpe Park or Alton Towers (approx. US$30) and you will realise that Disney is excellent value for money. I have been going there now since '95, and I still marvel at the detail and notice things that I hadn't spotted before.

mikewj
08-05-2003, 02:37
Disney have always charged more, but then they know that people will pay it.

We always buy annual passes (for Disney, Universal and Seaworld/Busch) and make sure that we return before the 12 months are up. It gives you the freedom to drop in and out of the parks without worrying about wasting single day tickets and are very useful if you just want to see one of the shows/parades that you missed due to the weather. And in the case of Universal, an annual pass isn't much more than a 2 day, 2 park ticket !

Seaworld even gave us a year for nothing in 2000, we asked when it was due to expire, thinking that it had been dead for 3 months The guy behind the desk gave it back with another year on it.....we're still not sure whether this was a mistake or a special offer !

Again, Disney are the most expensive, but you are getting 4 parks to play in and you also get discounts in some of the shops in Downtown Disney.

florida4sun
08-05-2003, 03:55
Hi,
I think you are underestimating waht Disney offer. The passes while expensive are excellent value for money. Most people would go for either a 5 day or 5 day plus for the first visit. It takes longer to do the Disney parks than it would the Universal parks. I think most would agree with the following (based on avaergae attendance):

Universal Parks
Universal Studios - 1 easy day
Islands of Adventure - 1 easy day
Sea World - 1 easy day
Busch Gardens - 1 easy day
Wet n Wild - half a day.

Disney
MGM - 1 easy day
Epcot - 2 days
Magic Kingdom - 1 and a 1/2 to 2 days
Animal Kingdom - 1 day with and early start.
Water parks are all wiorth visiting and In my opinion Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are heads above the rest.

Disney and Universal are very different parks with very different characters. If you can hold out for a while we hope to offering a special 4 day hoper ticket soon. Cant sday any more at present but keep watching.

quote:Originally posted by Lee

Thanks for the input everyone. I can't believe they get away with charging that sort of money! We'll probably just get a few (2 or 3) day passes while we're over there and get the Universal 5-park Flex (via park-tickets.com of course :) ). I just thought that there might be something extra laid on with the prices Disney were charging. That doesn't seem to be the case.

mikep
12-05-2003, 01:39
I would also add that the evening fireworks shows at Disney, escpecially MGM and Epcot are absolutely stunning. Nowhere else comes close. We bought the multi-day hopper passes in 2000. We used most days that year, but still had two park admissions plus two vists left. In 2001 we used the park visits, plus one visit, and we still have one visit left for the next time we go to the Orlanda area. It's not cheap buying these passes I agree, but you will NEVER forget the experience.