PDA

View Full Version : Possible traffic violation fine, what do I do?

Tonish
17-08-2005, 21:17
Last week, due to much squabbling and fighting going on in the back of my car, I took a wrong turn onto the 528 (I think) and came off again at the next exit ramp. Unfortunately, at the end of the ramp, instead of a toll booth, the exit was obviously for sunpass users only. I had no choice but to drive through; I couldn't reverse back up the ramp.

The sign said there was a 100 dollar fine for misuse and it was enforced with a camera. I have no problem paying the fine, but there was nothing at the exit giving any instructions about what to do. I had meant to tell Dollar when I returned the car, but we were late for our flight and had to run. I'm home now and I assume I will get something from the car hire company, which I'll be happy to pay if it arrives.

I'm more concerned that it doesn't arrive and causes me problems the next time I'm over. Has anyone any experience of this type of violation and what happens?

Tonish

E. Cosgrove
17-08-2005, 21:25
I would imagine that if the fine is enforced, then dollar will deduct it from your credit card, and providing it is paid there shouldn't be a problem.
Somewhere on your car rental documents it says that you are liable for speeding fines and traffic violations.
Why not ring dollar or e mail their customer service dept just to put your mind at rest.

flyrr100
17-08-2005, 21:43
I wouldn't worry. I have a sun pass and now and then it doesn't 'go off'. I've never received a citation. I received a new transponder once! I guess they thought mine was faulty! Really the sticky had become un-sticky and it was in my glove box! It has to be on the windsheild to work.

Ana
18-08-2005, 02:18
We once went through an unmanned toll on the 417 and had no change to pay. We looked up the no. for the police and told them what had happened. They said they don't usually do anything to first time "offenders" as they appreciate that us tourists sometimes get things wrong!

chrizzy100
18-08-2005, 02:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
Last week, due to much squabbling and fighting going on in the back of my car, I took a wrong turn onto the 528 (I think) and came off again at the next exit ramp. Unfortunately, at the end of the ramp, instead of a toll booth, the exit was obviously for sunpass users only. I had no choice but to drive through; I couldn't reverse back up the ramp.

The sign said there was a 100 dollar fine for misuse and it was enforced with a camera. I have no problem paying the fine, but there was nothing at the exit giving any instructions about what to do. I had meant to tell Dollar when I returned the car, but we were late for our flight and had to run. I'm home now and I assume I will get something from the car hire company, which I'll be happy to pay if it arrives.

I'm more concerned that it doesn't arrive and causes me problems the next time I'm over. Has anyone any experience of this type of violation and what happens?

Tonish
[/quote]

We've gone through the odd toll........and never had a fine yet......so I'd not worry that much......sometimes we've had to drive through because a coin did not show up after putting it in the basket....so having no more we just had to drive on...

jo-anne
18-08-2005, 12:34
This happened to us when we had mix up with change at the toll and couldn't pay.
We then got lost and went through another toll without paying (that was when we tried to get off the toll road due to lack of change and found another toll at the end of the slip road.)
We thought we'd be in big trouble but when we rang the authorities to appologise and to pay the tolls they were so lovely.
They said they were used to tourists and that they were patient for quite a number of times before they would follow up a non payment of tolls by a tourist.
The next time we were on a toll road we threw loads of extra change into the bucket to ease our conscience!!
Jo-Anne

pieman790
18-08-2005, 14:21
When we were travelling from the airport to the villa this year we came off the 417 at the junction of the Osceola Parkway. The toll booth is unmanned but somebody have jammed the bucket where you throw your coins. We tried everything possible to make payment (Cost us about $5 in coins) but the machine would not register but kept on taking our coins. In the end we drove through it and havent heard a thing from the car rental company. We had 7 witnesses to say to tried to make payment. When would you find out if there is a violation?

fredkohlhofer
19-08-2005, 02:31
Unfortunately all those people who are saying don't worry about it may well be totally wrong. If you have a look at the Orlandosentinel website today - an authoritative source on Florida - you will see:

"Thousands of Central Florida drivers are being slapped with tickets, fines or suspended licenses after the state in May launched a zero-tolerance policy for motorists who go through automated tollbooths without paying.

But the policy is, in many cases, penalizing drivers for honest mistakes -- and even for equipment glitches that are the toll system's fault.

Just last month, an estimated 5,000 citations were issued in Lake, Osceola, Orange and Seminole counties. That compared with about 600 in April, just before the new policy took effect."

tonireece
20-08-2005, 22:26
hi everyone,
this happened to us this year at 417 also, showing up change given, but no-one there, we went to the court house (which took ages to find, off 192), they said it takes a photo of the number plate, and they can tell if it keeps happening, we never got a fine. Dont worry.:D

fredkohlhofer
21-08-2005, 01:26
That was then, this is now. The Orlando Sentinel is usually correct, if they say it is NOW zero tolerance then it probably is.
If you do get fined the car rental company will sort it out, and charge you the fine plus a handling charge. You signed for this when you rented the car.
I hope it doesn't happen, fingers crossed and Good Luck, keep us posted.

kitty
17-09-2005, 21:39
Hi is there anywhere you can get change from after landing at sanford airport,like a petrol garage or anything[?]

Steve and Dawn
26-09-2005, 17:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitty
Hi is there anywhere you can get change from after landing at sanford airport,like a petrol garage or anything[?]
[/quote]

The best thing is to make sure you take some small dollar bills with you when you get your currency, failing that just get some at the airport before you fly.

fredkohlhofer
27-09-2005, 03:03
Latest report is that they let one violation go, after that they issue a ticket.
With a rental car of course you never know whether a previous renter used up that one chance....................
Anyway its a little more encouraging than a zero tolerance policy.

erowlands
27-09-2005, 11:02
Friends of ours went through the toll booth at junction 2 off the 417 last week without having any change,they checked with the authorities who said its ok we give you up to three chances still. Eric

cr1000
28-09-2005, 17:05
Had a small nightmare with some toll booths when I was out there at the beginning of September.

First one, exact change, wasn't working, you throw the cash in, but nothing happens. Several cars in front of me went through it, and since there was a queue behind me, I had no optino but to throw the coins in and go through it.

Then on the way back to Orlando International, I miss the right exit of the Beeline Expressway, take the next exit, which happens to be another toll road. Sunpass or exact change only, and guess what no change.... Through the toll booth, quick U-Turn, back through the toll booth and back onto the Beeline. Stupid system, having no-one there to give change, mumble, mumble, mumble ;)

fredkohlhofer
28-09-2005, 22:28
Those toll both money counters are pretty cute, I threw some coins in and one of them was a Canadian quarter - it did not accept it! Had to throw another US one in before I went through.
And no - it didn't give it back!

lynn and ray
01-10-2005, 19:25
We threw out 50 cents into the toll bucket once and some of the change bounced back out and went under the car.

We drove through the red light and it made a right noise but we never heard anything.

It does worry you though.

Also, when you get lost and find your way home going through other tolls that you didnt know were there is not nice.

Glad they let tourists have a chance.