PDA

View Full Version : Citizens Discount Cards in Key West

K4LGB
06-05-2003, 19:16
I was a bit surprised to see that they heavily advertise the fact that Key West citizens can get up to 10% discount in most retail outlets in Key West (from bars and restaurants to attractions and shops).

Now Key West is most definitely a self confessed tourist trap and tourism is the main industry on the Keys but I found it quite disturbing that they are so blatantly milking the tourist cash-cow so openly.

Anyone else felt this about The Florida Keys?
Les

florida4sun
07-05-2003, 11:21
I cant see the problem.. The whole of Florida offers discounts for residents. After all they are the back bone and supply a constant cash flow for the parks and restaraunts. Disney is heavily pushing residents specials at the moment.

quote:Originally posted by K4LGB

I was a bit surprised to see that they heavily advertise the fact that Key West citizens can get up to 10% discount in most retail outlets in Key West (from bars and restaurants to attractions and shops).

Now Key West is most definitely a self confessed tourist trap and tourism is the main industry on the Keys but I found it quite disturbing that they are so blatantly milking the tourist cash-cow so openly.

Anyone else felt this about The Florida Keys?
Les

Harmony
07-05-2003, 13:35
Hi Les,

Don't forget that residents pay alot in taxes and continbute in many ways to the communities. A small discount is just a way that the bars and restaurants thank the locals for their support.

Jeff