PDA

View Full Version : New City - East meets West in Orlampa

chrisflowers
15-08-2005, 23:36
Article posted today by BayNews9 news -

"Anyone who has driven on I-4 between Orlando and Tampa has probably seen the signs.

The green signs on the side of the road stake a claim for a new city called Orlampa.

Orlampa is half way between Orlando and Tampa. It's the home of an aviation attraction called Fantasy of Flight and a citrus packing house. Both are owned by Kermit Weeks, who has been jokingly referred to as the mayor of Orlampa after coining the name.

It may not look like much right now, but for Kermit Weeks, the barren land around the area is a field of dreams.

"Right now Orlampa is a vision, a dream and a couple of signs," Weeks said. "The future concept here, the name also not only has local implications, but will also have global implications. The tag line for Orlampa is where east meets west."

Weeks said his plans are to create a destination for entertainment, conferences and other activities that will include his aviation attraction. But Fantasy of Flight will take on a new meaning.

But Weeks expects it will be some time before his vision for Orlampa is realized. About 10 years.

"Great things take a long time," Weeks said, smiling."

Has anyone been to Fantasy of Flight?
Is it worth the effort?

lindajo
16-08-2005, 02:45
Fantasy of Flight is well worth seeing. The aircraft collection/ museum is first rate. The hangers and service bays are cleaner than any NHS hospital by far. The restaurant serves excellent food and is really good value. All the buildings are done in an art deco style and flights are available in bi-planes and hot air balloons.
Lindajo

sundowner
16-09-2005, 12:19
Not been yet, but it's on my ever growing list of 'things I have not done in Florida before'.