PDA

View Full Version : dab (digital) radios

Somerset
13-08-2005, 13:41
I thought I might buy a dab / digital radio in the US on our next trip. However, can't seem to find anything (only satellite which I don't think is the same thing? - it seems to be more like our 'cable')

Can anyone in the know about these things please advise what dab radios are called in the USA and where to buy them?
Cheers,
[msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-08-2005, 14:08
I'm not sure they have DAB radios in the US. I've never seen any but have seen a lot of the satellite ones which I suspect are a different technology (although I may be wrong).

owen3
13-08-2005, 14:43
I tried to get one for my son last year.Tried all the shops. They had not heard of them. Barbara

Somerset
13-08-2005, 14:46
From what I can gather, their 'satelite' seems a bit like our digital/cable tv - ie. sky stations. I am really surprised that they don't seeem to exist in the US! Please inform if you know any different!![msnwink]

Robert5988
13-08-2005, 17:34
I understand that Satellite is by subscription only, but at least it is free of non-stop advertising; and you can get BBC world service. I don’t think DAB radio is even being introduced here – or at least that is what I was told in Radio Shack.

On a slightly different tack has anyone found a frequency for BBC World Service?

I think that American TV must be about the worst in the ‘civilized’ world – but their current affairs radio is worse!! It panders to the Hang Em, Shoot Em, Castrate Em, brigade.

Katys Grandad
13-08-2005, 20:18
I rented a car from Hertz in the US earlier this year. It was equipped with something called SIRIUS satellite radio. It took me 3 or 4 days to fathom how to work it and then I wished I hadn't bothered.

I never thought I would miss those inane US radio adverts.