PDA

View Full Version : Health - Bites

Carla
17-02-2002, 18:45
If you get bitten by anything when in Florida - DO NOT IGNORE IT.

Go to a pharmacy and get the pharmacist to recommend something for it. If you are in a Theme park then go to one of the Medical Centres.

I had a bite last December which swelled up so much that it covered the entire front and inside of my thigh (no small area, I can tell you) and apparently it could well have resulted in me being hospitalised. From bite to total swelling only took a few hours!!

steph_goodrum
17-02-2002, 21:31
We became aware of this on our first visit 6 years ago, as we were checking in Virgin handed us a leaflet about mosquitos, which had been particularly prevalent that year and advised us to go to the airport pharmacy to buy some repellant before we left and said make sure you stay covered after dark and eport any bites immediately. There have been several cases in recent years in New York of people who have died or become extremely ill from Nile virus (if memory serves correct)which can be transmitted by the mosquitos.

steph

Theresa
19-02-2002, 14:22
One year I got bitten on my upper arm. I remember slapping it at the time. A few weeks later it came up into a large lump. The "bug" had started to bury itself into my arm but when I slapped it I killed it and there it stayed. Half a bug was removed from my arm. So yes don't leave these things.

esprit
22-02-2002, 02:29
Ughh!! I think I'll go skiing instead!

Julie Carty

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-02-2002, 02:50
I remember seeing something on the TV news about the Nile Virus and some cases in Tallahassee last time we were in Florida.

John & Sarah

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

fiona
22-02-2002, 03:24
There is a new antihistamine you can get on prescription, it begins with d and is a little bright blue tablet. (I'll see if I can dig it out)

We got eaten alive on a boat trip to Cabbage Key Island last summer, despite spraying ourselves liberally with repellant before and during our trip, and I mean about 20 bites around the armhole and shorts area, they were AWFUL! The tablets work a treat.

Also as my eldest (a redhead) and I often suffer from prickly heat in the summer in Florida, I make sure we always have calamine lotion. Although, funnily enough, the only really soothing thing is to lie with your feet or legs (as this is nearly always where it appears on us!) in the pool. BLISS. We also have some incredible cream that came from France when Catriona got prickly heat one summer there, and the chemist gave is this thick white cream which immediately takes the sting and heat out of the rash.

Fiona

orlandobabe
23-02-2002, 15:02
OMG!
and I was going to tell you all about the health food bar in the health shop!

What nightmare stories!

I got badly bitten in October on my right hand-it must have hit every finger and my man co told me to get something that is like ammonia in a stick- about $4. That helped a little-but I also took some pink antihistamine pills from Walmart.

I'm going to make sure I buy some on our next trip-and then take them a week before I go again in October!

Orlandobabe

fiona
23-02-2002, 17:28
Found out the name of the tablets I couldn't remember - nothing to do with a D!! Neoclarityn - seems to work for bites, nosebleeds, rashes the works. An no, I don't understand the nosebleeds bit either!!

Fiona