PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying

sundowner
09-08-2005, 16:17
Can anyone give advice for my daughter who is a nervous wreck when flying. It is not just take off and landing, she hates the whole thing of being in the air etc. and if you hit turbulence it's terrible. I seem to remember seing a thread on this before but cannot find it doing a search.

She is so nervous, that over the past few years when her and her friends visit Europe, she goes on Eurostar and they fly and all meet up later.

We have bought a villa in Florida, and she knows she must fly to enjoy the benefits, but dreads it. However, she is having a 'practice' run at the week-end and going off to Holland with friends (just hope it's a good flight).

Also, are there any air lines to Orlando/Miami etc that might take routes with less turbulence than others? I have a feeling that this last question may have won me the prize for the most STUPID question anyone has ever asked on this forum, but I am strong and can take it[msnembarrased].

blott
09-08-2005, 16:58
Oh poor thing, I know exactly how she feels! One of the things that worries me is all those little clanks and clangs every so often and the aircraft changing course and imagining we're definitely on our way to crashing. Yes, I know the statistics and all that, it's just the way I feel as I've had some bad flying experiences in the past (which I won't go into!).

What I found helped me is to ask for a window seat so I can look out and see for myself that we're all safe, still up in the air and not about to crash any second! I also tend to get claustrophobic in enclosed spaces, let alone in a metal tube for hours on end and the window seat also helps this too - if I'm feeling closed in, I just look out of the window and try to block out the amount of space I'm in.

So, I think what I'm saying is that if you can talk about your daughter's feelings and why she doesn't like flying, then you may hit on an answer like I did to try to overcome that.

I don't think there's much answer to the turbulence question - normally pilots either increase or decrease altitude slightly to get over or under this so it normally doesn't last too long or get too bad. I just keep looking out of that window and I can see that we're not about to come down!

steph_goodrum
09-08-2005, 18:01
Sundowner

Our friend who used to fly regularly developed a severe phobia about flying and despite having flown to US, Caribbean etc for about the last 5 years years had been unable to fly, doing as your daughter and holidaying in Europe using the Eurostar and ferries.

Some of the others may remember at Christmas me telling of how he had decided Christmas eve to join his wife on Christmas Day in Boston (without telling her he was going), in order to be there to be Godparent to their baby nephew. He found the flight one of the easiest he had ever done and now has no worried about flying at all.

What he didn't tell me till afterwards when we were discussing it, was that his sister had taken up hynoptherapy and he had asked her to try and see if she could help. He had one session which he said was "a waste of time" as he didnt feel any differently at all but suddenly 3 weeks later realised he wasn't scared of flying any more. Whether it was mind over matter, I'm not sure, but it seems to have done the trick with him and my husband said he's got to be the worst person he's ever flown with for "white knuckles" on take off and landing where he gripped so hard to whoever or whatever was around him.

Might be worth a shot for your daughter.

sundowner
09-08-2005, 18:13
Thanks guys, I will have a chat with her. Must admit she won't normally sit by the window, but you have a good point on that one Blott. She did pluck up courage a couple of years back when we were all off to Florida, and said she knew what she would be missing if she didn't come, but the turbulence on the way back was REALLY bad, so bad, that when her brother got married in Seychelles, she didn't come with us, she was that put off about flying.

She has said that Hypnotherapy probably would not work, as she does think it's mind over matter, but it has worked (and you have living proof) for others.

We do not live far from B'ham airport, and she has talked about maybe going on a course (if they do them there), trouble is they are so expensive.

Anyway, thanks for being so kind,will keep you updated, especially if we find something that works.

KevinT
09-08-2005, 20:58
Hi Sundowner,
The Daily Mail did a great article a couple of weeks ago about allaying fears of people who are apprehensive about flying (Wish I'd cut it out now as recently I've spoken to a few folk with this phobia !) It took many of the main worries one by one and explained why they were not valid.
It explained how there are several backup systems for important aircraft functions like hydraulics & braking and how each plane virtually gets an MOT before and after each journey .
(How many coach companies could boast this?). Also said how the wings were not just "bolted on" but form a complete unit from wingtip to wingtip for folk who thought turbulence could damage one wing.
The article also explained very simply how planes stay in the air by pointing out that if you have your car window open and trail your hand in the air (not if you're driving of course !!)with your palm up /down you will feel the air lifting your hand.
Maybe you could still get a copy of the article from the Daily Mail website by putting in a search on flying fear/phobia ?? Makes for very interesting reading.
Although certainly not an expert in weather conditions I would say that turbulence can occur practically anywhere (for some strange reason the captains always seem to find some just after the meals have been served !! :D:D)

Hope that your daughter has a great, super - smooth flight - that will be the best thing to improve her confidence in flying.

chrizzy100
09-08-2005, 22:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sundowner
Can anyone give advice for my daughter who is a nervous wreck when flying. It is not just take off and landing, she hates the whole thing of being in the air etc. and if you hit turbulence it's terrible. I seem to remember seing a thread on this before but cannot find it doing a search.

She is so nervous, that over the past few years when her and her friends visit Europe, she goes on Eurostar and they fly and all meet up later.

We have bought a villa in Florida, and she knows she must fly to enjoy the benefits, but dreads it. However, she is having a 'practice' run at the week-end and going off to Holland with friends (just hope it's a good flight).

Also, are there any air lines to Orlando/Miami etc that might take routes with less turbulence than others? I have a feeling that this last question may have won me the prize for the most STUPID question anyone has ever asked on this forum, but I am strong and can take it[msnembarrased].

[/quote]

Oh no......I don't have a fear of flying...but I have an inblance in my ears that can be very painful.....and can make me giddy sometimes.....so turbulence can put me all out of wack.....I really feel for her.......I hope she has a good trip to Holland.......

linda allen
10-08-2005, 00:13
There are fear of Flying courses that are run by British Airways pilots and crew. I will try and get the details and post them.

10-08-2005, 01:39
Virgin Atlantic Launches New Flying Without Fear Course At Heathrow Airport
(Published 2 Aug 05)

Virgin Atlantic has announced its first ever Flying Without Fear course (FWF) to be held at Heathrow Airport on 28 August 2005. Virgin Atlantic, in association with FWF Limited, offers one day courses throughout the year, aimed at teaching sufferers how to overcome their fear. The course includes an optional 45 minute flight at the end of the session.

Sir Richard Branson, Chairman of Virgin Atlantic, commented:

“We are delighted to announce another venue for the Flying Without Fear course. For the past eight years we have run courses at London Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham Airport and we are pleased to be able to add London Heathrow.”

“These courses make a real difference to people’s lives – whether it be the business traveller who despite being a frequent flyer gets anxious on every flight or the grandmother who has never seen her grandchildren on the other side of the world due to her fear of flying – as they complete the course with a new found confidence in their ability to fly without fear.”

The day starts with a brief introduction from the entire team who look after the participants. Two Virgin Atlantic Captains take the morning session and run through detailed information regarding aircraft functions, noises and safety to help attendees gain an understanding of how the aircraft operates. A question and answer session is held at this stage to ensure that any questions participants may have are answered.

The day breaks for a hot lunch and offers the opportunity to ask questions of the team on a one-to-one basis. The afternoon session is led by David Landau, a well-known psychotherapist. He talks in depth about fears and phobias and teaches the skills to help people learn to control their fears, preparing them for the flight. After this they take a short 45 minute flight on a commercial jet. The participants are accompanied on the flight by Virgin Atlantic pilots, cabin crew and ground staff, who can support them and help alleviate any fears. One of our pilots gives a running commentary throughout the flight re-enforcing all that has been learnt throughout the day.

At the end of the session a pos***light debrief takes place and participants receive a free CD specially compiled by David Landau. They will also be presented with certificates to mark their achievement signed by Sir Richard Branson. All our Captains, crew and the rest of the team are available to answer any remaining questions the participants might have.

What distinguishes the Virgin Atlantic’s ‘Flying Without Fear’ programme from other courses is the aftercare that participants receive. After the course, if participants take a flight with Virgin Atlantic, the Virgin Atlantic Special Assistance department will be on hand to help with special requirements tailored specifically to their needs or anxieties regarding the flight. In addition to this there is a ‘Flying Without Fear’ channel available onboard the aircraft, which is narrated by David Landau, who provides a familiar voice to help relax the passenger.

Richard Conway, Director of FWF Limited said:

“We are delighted to be introducing the new Flying Without Fear course to Heathrow Airport. Since the course began eight years ago, it has had some amazing results with a success rate in excess of 98%.”

Introduced this year is Virgin Atlantic 'Flying Club' membership plus 2,000 bonus flying club miles for all course participants. The inclusive day course costs £199 plus VAT. For bookings and enquiries please contact 01423 714900 or log on to www.flyingwithoutfear.info.

10-08-2005, 01:40
BA Course

Do you have a Fear of Flying?
Do you miss holidays and business meetings because you are afraid to fly?
Do you worry about having to take a flight weeks before it departs?
Do you suffer from claustrophobia?

Help is available to overcome your fear of flying. Whether you worry about how a plane flies or the feeling of being confined, we can help you overcome your fears.
The courses are run in conjunction with British Airways. Our staff include: pilots, cabin crew or ground staff from British Airways. We have helped over 35,000 people overcome their fear of flying and based on customer feedback we have a 95% success rate.

Why choose the Aviatours course run in conjunction with British Airways:

The UKs first Fear of Flying Course with nineteen years of experience
We cover how an aircraft flies, turbulence, claustrophobia, panic attacks and relaxation techniques
We use British Airways pilots and cabin crew
We use a Harley Street Psychologist
Forty Five minute flight on a British Airways aircraft.
We DO NOT charter planes from other airlines.
We offer post course counselling and top up flights for people who have attended the course. We offer flight only options for friends and family of those attending the course.
Fear of Flying News

BA Profits

Aviatours has enjoyed a long association with British Airways for nearly 20 years. All of our crew on the day are either British Airways pilots or cabin crew. I worked for the airline for nearly 35 years and my father worked for them too, so the relationship goes back a long way. So here at Aviatours we are particularly pleased about the latest profit figures for BA.

More and more people are travelling, yet there are still those held back by their own fears and phobias. If you hate the idea of flying or travel and suffer every time you board an aircraft, we can help. We were the first "fear of flying" course in the UK and are proud of our association with BA, so there is help available. Give us a call (01252 793 250) and we can help you start flying with confidence.

Capt Peter Hughes - 05/08/05

Private Courses

A number of people have been asking what they can do if they miss one of our group courses and are planning to go away on holiday in the next few weeks. Well, help is available as Aviatours offer fear of flying consultations on a one to one or small group basis. We can tailor the session to suit your exact needs whether it is a chat with a pilot or psychologist or a trip in an aircraft accompanied by one of the team members to talk through all the noises and sensations. If you would like to chat about your requirements please give us a call on 01252 793 250.

If you would rather attend a group session our next day long course will be on 10th September 2005 at Heathrow. The day will start at around 9am and finish at 18.30. As well as a talk by two senior British Airways pilots and Cabin crew we have a eminent Harley Street Psychologist talking you through your fears and offering relaxation techniques. The day concludes with a flight on a British Airways aircraft. Be aware unlike some of our competitors we DO NOT charter from other airlines. Spaces fill up quickly so give us a call to book your place.

Captain Peter Hughes - 02/08/05

Summer Holidays

August is the summer break for our Fear of Flying courses. It is the only month where we don't offer a course. But come September we will be back with courses at Heathrow and Manchester. The first half of the year has seen us run ten courses with over 1,500 attendees. Many of those who went on the courses are now off enjoying their summer holidays with friends and family across the world. One person on our last Gatwick course was leaving the next day for a trip to Australia and New Zealand. We are happy to report they have sent us a postcard and they are having an amazing time! Whatever your doing for your summer holidays, we hope it is sunny and we look forward to seeing you on one of our courses.

Tim Lloyd - 28/07/05

Your next course is
10th Septemb

linda allen
10-08-2005, 01:42
Ba have been doing this course for quite a while.Our close friend was one of the pilots involved in the running of it.

Details can be found on www.aviatours.co.uk

10-08-2005, 01:43
A unique way to overcome your fear of flying...

The Virtual Aviation Fear of Flying course is unlike any other because we use a £10-million airline flight simulator.

During your flight in the cockpit with us, we’ll answer your questions and help you become more comfortable with the noises and sensations of flight through explanation and repetition, but going at your own pace.

Our experienced and sympathetic pilots with help you to overcome your fears, without you ever having to leave the ground.

Why do we use a flight simulator? Experts agree that flight simulators are an incredible tool for helping nervous flyers overcome their fears. Why? Find out by reading more about the simulator and the course.

The one-to-one course
Because each persons fear of flying is different, we will focus on your own unique concerns. Our tailor-made course offers you privacy and flexibility - and you may bring a guest if you wish.

Hear what our past customers say
Don’t just take our word for it. Why not take a moment to read some of the many testimonials and national press reviews.

Why choose Virtual Aviation?
&gt; No set dates. Course dates are arranged to suit you, even at very short notice.
&gt; The UK’s only fear of flying course using a flight simulator.
&gt; Courses at both Heathrow Airport & Gatwick Airport.

http://www.virtualaviation.co.uk/fear/fear.html

sundowner
10-08-2005, 03:36
Thank you everyone, I will show all of this to my daughter and I am sure it will be of some help to her. As I said earlier, I will let you know the outcome. Who knows, this may help many, many more people get over the fear.

We shall spend the nex few days looking into the courses Mach 2 has suggested, and who knows, she may even look forward to flying in the future.

10-08-2005, 12:00
Tell your daughter before I started flying I was just 17 and had a white knuckle fear, my parents thought on my first day as crew aged just 18 I would come back home and not do the flight, but I wanted the job so bad I had to overcome the fear, needless to say I did the flight and never looked back!

Its more a fear of the unknown, you are not in control, if only your daughter could get onto the flightdeck as we could before 9/11 she would be cured, so get her to do a fear of flying course - they do work!!! Good Luck[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
10-08-2005, 12:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
Hi Sundowner,
The Daily Mail did a great article a couple of weeks ago about allaying fears of people who are apprehensive about flying (Wish I'd cut it out now as recently I've spoken to a few folk with this phobia !) It took many of the main worries one by one and explained why they were not valid.
It explained how there are several backup systems for important aircraft functions like hydraulics & braking and how each plane virtually gets an MOT before and after each journey .
(How many coach companies could boast this?). Also said how the wings were not just "bolted on" but form a complete unit from wingtip to wingtip for folk who thought turbulence could damage one wing.
The article also explained very simply how planes stay in the air by pointing out that if you have your car window open and trail your hand in the air (not if you're driving of course !!)with your palm up /down you will feel the air lifting your hand.
Maybe you could still get a copy of the article from the Daily Mail website by putting in a search on flying fear/phobia ?? Makes for very interesting reading.
Although certainly not an expert in weather conditions I would say that turbulence can occur practically anywhere (for some strange reason the captains always seem to find some just after the meals have been served !! :D:D)

Hope that your daughter has a great, super - smooth flight - that will be the best thing to improve her confidence in flying.
[/quote]

some good notes there Kevin!
i hate flying but the year 2000 i decided i was going to change it wasnt fair on my family (who had never complained just wished we could go away on a plane)
i thought very long and very hard then went to Gatwick airport every weekend and watched from the car park and i was so excited just thinking how lovely and graceful these massive planes were and how fantastic that they could stay in the air like they did, now we go abroad every year, cant get enough of it but am still a nervous passenger, but have found its the take off and landing that get me, altho i find it exciting i end up in tears cos am so scared!i cover my face, and just go for it cos there is nothing else i can do!, mind you last time we went apart from the medications taking for bad knee i also have the Rescue Remedy! and am convinced that that helps lots!!
am looking forward to our next flight on the 29th sept!!![clap][clap]

sundowner
10-08-2005, 16:15
Leisa, what is the Rescue Remedy ????

LiesaAnna
10-08-2005, 16:20
Bachs rescue remedy, origional flower remedies, it saya on the bottle "to comfort and reasure"
just helps you to relax a bit, it is also good for taking driving tests, many people take it when in stressful times!
it worked for myself and my daughter who went into panic mode about flying last time we went!

sundowner
10-08-2005, 16:34
Thanks for that Leisa and everyone else. This thread will at least give her something to think about.

Might even try the Rescue Remedy myself next time. I don't like take off and landing because of the speed and noise mainly, but obviously realise it has to be like that. I also get very claustrophobic after a couple of hours, then get 'restless legs' etc. I do have to get up and move around frequently because of a back problem and can never sleep (mainly because my back starts to 'lock' and I have to get up again). Never mind though, it's all worth it in the end.

KevinT
11-08-2005, 00:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sundowner
Thanks for that Leisa and everyone else. This thread will at least give her something to think about.

Never mind though, it's all worth it in the end.
[/quote]

I'm sure that your daughter will feel the same way after she's been!! [msnwink]

bellaepovera
11-08-2005, 06:49
Even though I fly every year to Florida, I still have that pit in my stomach a week before I go but I find now that the tvs in the back of the seats helps me alot as the movies are a great distraction. I realize they had films but they were always so far away and just didnt enjoy watching them like I do now.

jovi
16-08-2005, 15:58
I don't like the feeling of dropping, when we hit turbuleance[xx(] makes me feel rather sickly and giddy,I had a stroke 5 years ago ( I was only 28!!) and that started with giddyness, so anything that makes me feel like that I get very scared, would this medicine you take leisa help with this do you think[?] This feeling also happens when the plane descends, I can cope with that, but not the turbulance[msncry]

16-08-2005, 23:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jovi
I don't like the feeling of dropping, when we hit turbuleance[xx(] makes me feel rather sickly and giddy,I had a stroke 5 years ago ( I was only 28!!) and that started with giddyness, so anything that makes me feel like that I get very scared, would this medicine you take leisa help with this do you think[?] This feeling also happens when the plane descends, I can cope with that, but not the turbulance[msncry]
[/quote]

I think you should seek medical advice as you have a prior medical condition, even complimentary medicines can have contra-indications (wrong spelling I know)[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
17-08-2005, 02:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jovi
[/quote]

i would ask your Gp, i did as i have blood pressure probs, but sorted now,

jovi
17-08-2005, 12:19
Will do, thanks guys:D

sundowner
17-08-2005, 13:35
Vicki, hope it all gets sorted for you.

Update on my daughter. She went to her GP in the end and got Diazepam, she was a little worried about taking such strong medication but felt homeopathy might not be quite strong enough. Anyway, she made it to Holland and back in one piece - she said the tablets made her feel more relaxed but was also 'with it' and aware of what was going on around her. She said her body just felt as though she had done a good work out at the gym.

We were crossing our fingers that she hadn't heard anything about the unfortunate plane crashes, and luckily she knew nothing about them, otherwise it might have meant a different mode of transport coming home.

Thanks guys for all your input, and she is considering other types of relaxation nexgt time after reading this thread. Good luck to all others who have that fear and remember what comes at the end of it all it well worth going through it.

KevinT
17-08-2005, 14:00
Glad to hear that Sundowner. Maybe your daughter will be ready for the Florida flights now.
It was a good idea to do the short flight to Holland first, but there's nothing like the magnetism of Florida to dispel travel worries!! [msnwink]